CUSTOM INDUCTION KIT ON A dCi

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Sadret89
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: RENAULT MEGANE 1.5dci 80, INDUCTION KIT, 8K XENON HEADLIGHTS, 225 SPORT FULL BODY-KIT & EXHAUST SYSTEM, SOUND SYSTEM, TDI TUNING BOX, EDC BLACK STUFF FRONT BRAKE PADS

CUSTOM INDUCTION KIT ON A dCi

Postby Sadret89 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:29 pm

* Edit post
* Report this post

Re: How to take out air box?

Postby Sadret89 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:33 pm
- Remove battery
- Unclip ECU connectors
- Remove battery tray / ECU
- Remove airbox-to-throttle body rubber tube

Then, with the battery tray removed, you'll be able to see the airbox's air intake tube that runs on top of the chassis leg. There are three extensions attached to the front end of the intake tube: cold air feed pipe from behind the grille, and two resonator chambers. Now remove all those three.

Next is the fun part if you're into s&m: You must pull the air intake tube free from the airbox. The problem is, there's not enough room for the tube to come forward and not enough room for the airbox to go backward! :banghead

I found out it helps to first manipulate the rubber bungs(?) away from around the airbox's locating pegs. This gives maybe a centimetre more clearance for the airbox to go back. Then you must free the clips holding the air pipe to the airbox, then push the airbox back as far as it will go, and at the same time twist the air pipe's front end so that it can be removed. (That's why you needed to remove those three extensions, with them still attached the pipe can't be twisted.)

With the air pipe removed, the airbox lifts right out.

I had to take out the original cold air feed, take the center part and cut it in half just to get that 90 degree bend piece (got a metal piece if anyone wants, could'nt fit it round), and re-installed a 70mm pipercross cold air feed from the bottom of the bumper straight to the filter to give out more turbo noise :D

Check out the progress viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13676

Sadret89
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: RENAULT MEGANE 1.5dci 80, INDUCTION KIT, 8K XENON HEADLIGHTS, 225 SPORT FULL BODY-KIT & EXHAUST SYSTEM, SOUND SYSTEM, TDI TUNING BOX, EDC BLACK STUFF FRONT BRAKE PADS

Re: CUSTOM INDUCTION KIT ON A dCi

Postby Sadret89 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Also a very very very big thank to McLaren for his very useful tutorial on how to remove the air box :D

Sadret89
Advanced Driver

Postby Sadret89 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:27 am

not really sounds sweet to me, better than a clattering standard diesel sound which sounds like any other white van in london!

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:46 am

You will have some probs with heat soak in the hotter months i would imagine, id try to make some sort of Heat shield around it or get some more ducting to it. as all the heat from the engine, as the cone is right at the back of the engine, will just be sucked up, most induction kits try to move the filter as far forward as possible to get more fresh air to them, maybes look into moving your battery back and making a custom pipe to move the filter forwards. Me and a friend did this to his 106 QS looked sweet, and sounded good to, not sure what effects it had on BHP, it seamed to think it reved better though.

Just for info though, i think most people find that the standard air box and an upgraded pannel filter is best for bhp, as modern cars air flows etc are worked out so tightly to squeeze every extra bhp out of them, so you may/probably will find you will be loosing bhp, especially in the hotter months, maybes not as bad in a dci as they dont run as hot as Petrols but still, its sat right at the back with very little fresh air getting to the hole cone, mearly 1 feed suppling 20% < of the cone, the rest of the air it will be sucking in will be hot air from the engine, just food for thought.

Poddy
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDi

Postby Poddy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:24 pm

i have an induction kit added to my car and i have noticed that i lost some mid revs torque but gained some end revs bhp

just from what i've done to my car.
07 Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDi
Remapped

ash1263
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 dci - 150bhp remap, fully wrapped Remus stainless straight through with twin exit, Eibach pro sport springs, K&N panel filter, 18" MS splits, full skirts and spoiler

Postby ash1263 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:43 pm

Like R55VYS said, you'll probably have lost BHP by doing that as your engine's gonna be sucking a whole lot of hot air from now on. I would HIGHLY recommend either moving the cone, installing a carbon heat sheild and cold air intake or at least just an intake running to the kit so it has some sort of cool air running to it.

Poddy
Pass Plus

Postby Poddy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:20 pm

why would you need a cold air feed on a diesel? i know that the colder the air the denser it is meaning the more there is, but the air gets compressed to at least 200psi inside the cycilinders meaning it will heat up a massive amount plus the intercooler cools the air before it gets into the engine anyway

correct me if im wrong but i don't see it making a difference other than increasing the amount of air that the engine sucks in, and making a great noise :P
07 Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDi
Remapped

ash1263
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 dci - 150bhp remap, fully wrapped Remus stainless straight through with twin exit, Eibach pro sport springs, K&N panel filter, 18" MS splits, full skirts and spoiler

Postby ash1263 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:42 pm

That's a fair point, and i suppose i should remember that this is a 1.5 dci not a 175 or something, but still you want your engine to breathe as freely as possible, and the cooler the air entering the intake the more of it there will be. Just my two pence that personally I would prefer my car to be sucking nice cold air from outside than hot air from the engine bay!

Sadret89
Advanced Driver

Postby Sadret89 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:55 am

Its a shame they assigned the air filter postion at the back.

I've noticed at times on 4th and 5th gear I lost top end speed, considering putting the original back in. Had my K&N panel filter which I think was better.

Poddy
Pass Plus

Postby Poddy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:54 pm

i havn't noticed any drop in power in my car, though the de-cat exhaust might be helping there
07 Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDi
Remapped

Return to “Modifications”