Limo Black Tints !!

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Martyn86
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.4 16v 55 plate Megane

Limo Black Tints !!

Postby Martyn86 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 pm

i am about to put some limo black tints on the 3 rear windows and leave the front normal so i was just wundering anyone elses views on this or if i should get some light smoke tints for the front so its not one extreme to another ????

cheers
de badged 55 Plate blue Megane, Alpine cd player,blue with white trim custom mats, blue & black rs seat covers.. how jelious are you lol..

mcmurr4y
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: FN2 Type-R

Re: Limo Black Tints !!

Postby mcmurr4y » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:58 am

Limo black tints look crap IMO! Should stay on limo's.

Smoke the back ones and leave the fronts standard. Not sure what the law is where you live but over here in N. Ireland, any tint other than factory standard on the fronts is an MOT fail.

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:22 am

Most factory fitted windows have a standard tint on which only just pass police light permitance test, some standard dont even pass, so if you put anything on the front you could be made to take them off by the bobbys at the side of the road.

And i agree with above limo black looks shat, medium or light smoke will do the job.

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:20 pm

I was followed to work by police on Friday and was stopped in my work car park. no idea where he came from as i turned a roundabout then immediately into work and i didn't see him waiting at the r/about.

Anyway, was stopped for front tints. this is the first time in 8 years of tinted window driving i've been stopped. they used a Tintman test kit. I have a 35 tint.. meaning it lets through 35% of light. I'd no idea what the standard glass is but with the kit it came out as 25% by the mirrors and 24.9% elsewhere.
No points, but it's a £30 spot fine and warning to remove. I suppose you don't have to but you'd eventually get a few £30 fines.

I removed mine just now as my new work place is a few hundred meters down the road from the police station. Took about 1hr 20 mins taking my time.

If you want to know how to take tints off, read below, else move to another topic.

You'll need: (i got mine from B&Q bar the razor blades and cloths)
1x small bottle of turps (~500ml)
1x spray bottle
stainless steel razor blades- MUST be stainless steel or it'll scratch your windows up. Click for an image, you can get them at your local motor factors.
clean lint-free cloths - you could use blue roll
water

Take the sprayer off the bottle, and use it on the turps bottle, it fits perfectly (or else pour turps into bottle).

initially used a heat gun but it was tiresome waiting for it to do the whole window. it does help to get the film off initially though. But you can use the edge of a blade to lift off part of the film. I did drivers side in 3 parts and passenger side in 2.
I then slowly took the film off (bar an inch or so at the bottom), leaving the adhesive on the window and sprayed turps on the adhesive. it works immediately, and using those rectangular razor blade they quickly got the adhesive off. they blunt quickly so if you do take tints off, aim to use about 5 per window. and you know when they're blunting as they just don't take the glue off easily. Once you've done most of the window, take the remaining part of the tint off at the bottom - be careful that you take it off otherwise it'll just get trapped. spray more turps and repeat with the razor blades.
Clean the windows with water. it'll take a while for the felt to dry off and might smear your windows when you use them.

Martyn86
Learner Driver

Postby Martyn86 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:38 pm

all this arsing round because some dumb biker got knocked off and the blame was put on the tints on the windows!!
de badged 55 Plate blue Megane, Alpine cd player,blue with white trim custom mats, blue & black rs seat covers.. how jelious are you lol..

mcmurr4y
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: FN2 Type-R

Postby mcmurr4y » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:44 pm

Martyn86 wrote:all this arsing round because some dumb biker got knocked off and the blame was put on the tints on the windows!!

what a ridiculous statement to make. I don't know anything about that case youre referring to but surely its the car drivers fault for having the tints.

Tinted front windows are dangerous to yourself and other road users. At night you can't see out of them and others can't see in which in turn leads to crashes!

Martyn86
Learner Driver

Postby Martyn86 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:14 pm

car drivers fault or not but to blame it on the tints is sad..... who said anything about night time?? and if so the bike should of had lights on??? and who needs to see in??

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:48 pm

Its one thing trying to determin whos fault it is, but 9 out of 10 bikers i see have a blacked out visor....

Martyn86
Learner Driver

Postby Martyn86 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:06 am

exactly, well said.. plus weaving in out of traffic will increase your chances of getting hit...... bikers think they own the road (am not saying car drivers do) but why is it the 'cars drivers' fault when they mess up most of the time???

dalefletcher111
Learner Driver

Postby dalefletcher111 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:47 pm

When a bike's involved, its his fault 99% of the time in my opinion, they have no lane discipline at all cutting through dangerous gaps.

As far as I know, the guy that had the crash that caused the ruling to be changed last(i think its the case your referring to), his tints measured about 90%, so why they don't allow any at all in the front I don't know, its not like a 30% tint would cause any problem, they should just cap it at a certain amount.
2004 1.9dci 120 dynamique 3dr

Martyn86
Learner Driver

Postby Martyn86 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:36 pm

i fully agree!!!

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:44 am

Idiots, you'l find that bikers, although they drive fast, will be the most alert, attentative drivers on the road, as you have to be flying down b roads at 130+, you have to look for every single hazard, if some prat boy racer pulls out in front of a bike its not there fault(if there not speeding-which most, in fact almost all dont in built up areas) have you not seen the advert?

LiamG
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 120 DCi Dynamique

Postby LiamG » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:40 am

What a load of crap, so all bikers ride like that? I think you'll find that i ride at the speed limit, even in a 20 zone (which most car drivers dont!).

The law for tints is there for a reason, its so you can see out your windows clearly and people can see in (police etc).

Yes i have a dark visor, but i dont wear it at night or poor visability, i change to a clear one... Do you change all your windows to clear at night...? thought not.
Megane II 5dr 1.9 DCi 120 Dynamique in Yellow (yes yellow like the renaultsports) - Now Sold :(

Martyn86
Learner Driver

Postby Martyn86 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:31 pm

am sorry i started this lol........ I think at the end of the day 'most' bikers drive to fast so if a car thinks its safe to pull out and the biker hits the it the the bikers fault and visvirser....... Tints unless limo black wont play a part in a carsh 99% of the time....

LiamG
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 120 DCi Dynamique

Postby LiamG » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:54 pm

If i was you, go for a slightly darker on the rear side windows if you want it private and then as dark as you want on the rear.

Just think it looks daft with dark tints on the back and then none on the front. When i get around to doing mine i will go a light tint on the rear side windows and the rear. Keeps strong sun off the kids
Megane II 5dr 1.9 DCi 120 Dynamique in Yellow (yes yellow like the renaultsports) - Now Sold :(

Return to “Modifications”