Will Spax lowering springs ruin the ride comfort?

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Anthony
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 1.5 dci 100

Will Spax lowering springs ruin the ride comfort?

Postby Anthony » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:37 pm

Does anyone have Spax SSX -45mm lowering springs fitted? I really want to close the gap between the body and tyre but don't want to ruin the ride comfort.

I realise they will be harder but wanted to know by what degree. What are peoples experiences with lowering springs?

I have a 3dr 1.5 dci with 16" alloys & Michelin Pilots and will be driving mostly motorway miles.

Cheers,

Anthony
2005 1.5dci 100 Sport Hatch -Gone!

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Re: Will Spax lowering springs ruin the ride comfort?

Postby R55VYS » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:35 am

if you keep the standard wheels on the ride quality will be fine, the car will just feel tighter around bends etc, its when you put 18"s on with low profile tyres you'll notice its quite bumpy if you fly down b-roads or over rumble strips but thats to be expected, as your changing the setup from comfort to handling

Anthony
Rally Driver

Postby Anthony » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:05 pm

R55VYS wrote:if you keep the standard wheels on the ride quality will be fine, the car will just feel tighter around bends etc, its when you put 18"s on with low profile tyres you'll notice its quite bumpy if you fly down b-roads or over rumble strips but thats to be expected, as your changing the setup from comfort to handling

OK cheers. After they are fitted I know the set-up will be out requiring the tracking to be done. Will the camber need adjusting as well?

I'm just trying to work out what sort of costs the job will include.

Poddy
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDi

Postby Poddy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:27 pm

you just swap the springs, nothing more.
07 Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDi
Remapped

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:53 am

yep no other issues just slap them on. i didnt have any issues with my tyres etc. have a look about you should be able to find them for less than £100 inc delivery. shouldnt cost you much to get them fitted, if your mechanically minded and have a trolly jack you can do the backs yourself, just a case of getting the back end lifted up, tack both wheels off, flick a cap off covering the nuts and unloosen, old ones out, new ones in, back together job done, most garages should charge you no more than £30-40 to do the backs if you cant do them yourself, the fronts on the other hand are more of a bitch, requires struts out, spring clamps etc, this is best left to someone who knows what there doing. again it shouldnt cost you to much. just go to a few places and ask.

Anthony
Rally Driver

Postby Anthony » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:33 pm

R55VYS wrote:yep no other issues just slap them on. i didnt have any issues with my tyres etc. have a look about you should be able to find them for less than £100 inc delivery. shouldnt cost you much to get them fitted, if your mechanically minded and have a trolly jack you can do the backs yourself, just a case of getting the back end lifted up, tack both wheels off, flick a cap off covering the nuts and unloosen, old ones out, new ones in, back together job done, most garages should charge you no more than £30-40 to do the backs if you cant do them yourself, the fronts on the other hand are more of a bitch, requires struts out, spring clamps etc, this is best left to someone who knows what there doing. again it shouldnt cost you to much. just go to a few places and ask.

Cheers. I ordered a set from euro performance this morning.

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Postby tallpaul » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:31 am

R55VYS wrote:yep no other issues just slap them on. i didnt have any issues with my tyres etc. have a look about you should be able to find them for less than £100 inc delivery. shouldnt cost you much to get them fitted, if your mechanically minded and have a trolly jack you can do the backs yourself, just a case of getting the back end lifted up, tack both wheels off, flick a cap off covering the nuts and unloosen, old ones out, new ones in, back together job done, most garages should charge you no more than £30-40 to do the backs if you cant do them yourself, the fronts on the other hand are more of a bitch, requires struts out, spring clamps etc, this is best left to someone who knows what there doing. again it shouldnt cost you to much. just go to a few places and ask.

if you do this, i'm guessing you should get the garage to do the fronts first as it will be safer driving like this than the other way round!!
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

Anthony
Rally Driver

Postby Anthony » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:57 am

tallpaul wrote:

if you do this, i'm guessing you should get the garage to do the fronts first as it will be safer driving like this than the other way round!!

Cheers for the advice but I'm doing it myself. Pretty handy with a spanner you see! :wink:

Anthony
Rally Driver

Postby Anthony » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Before I fit these new springs, can people advise whether they will be creaky and make dodgey noises? Someone mentioned on another thread that they fitted 40mm lowering springs on their Clio and ruined it.

Just pre fitting worries really! :conf
Last edited by Anthony on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Postby tallpaul » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 pm

i've lowered every car i've owned so far, none of them were 'creaky or made dodgy noises'. nor should yours if its done properly :cool:
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

Anthony
Rally Driver

Postby Anthony » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:24 pm

tallpaul wrote:i've lowered every car i've owned so far, none of them were 'creaky or made dodgy noises'. nor should yours if its done properly :cool:

Great. It will be done properly. :cool: Cheers!

Nige
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03' Renaultsport Megane 1.4 16v...NO FAULTS HERE! :-D

Postby Nige » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:06 pm

I have 45mm in my megane and speaking from my experiences...the renault megan is as standard an AWFUL, BOATY car to drive...if anything the spax 45mm will not only make you feel more part of the car but make you feel somewhat safer at speed.

Its my top recommended modification and im sure alot of other people on here can say the same!
03' Megane 1.4 16v 3Dr, N.Ireland

northernjon
Currently Drives:: Renult Megane 1.9 Dci Tuned.

Postby northernjon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:09 pm

Just fitted 45mm spax lowering springs to my 1.9Dci......very very very impressed. Corners like it's on rails and feels safer at cruising speeds.
Had a local garage fit them for a small fee, but well worth it and probably the best Mod you can get for the Megane.
My tracking was slightly off after they were fitted and the car pulled the the left for a little while after, untill the springs settled a bit. But now my Megane is like a new car and the ride comfort has not been effected. Highly recommended.
Megane 1.9 Dci 120, 52reg. Tuneit Box fitted.

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:38 pm

I would keep a few pounds in the pocket for the odd strut bearing now and again....

P

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:40 am

mine have been on 3yr and ive never had to replace anything, apart from a snapped spring. spax replaced the full set because of this.

One thing to note, ive just cracked my sump, going over a speed bump.the daft little square ones, so be carefull. as thats the lowest point of the car, you might not be able to tell because of the undertray.

Return to “Modifications”