Windows tinted, some help required!

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Windows tinted, some help required!

Postby Paddy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:37 pm

Well today I tinted my windows. First attempted to do it with the glass in place no hope there. So i striped out the back doors and took the glass out and went into the comfort of my living room to do some tinting.I was even able to give glass a warm bath to make sure there was not dirt what so ever. It worked perfectly not a crinkle or an air bubble to be seen...

Question is how is the rear view glass removed from the saloon? There is no way I’m tinting that with it in place. A job impossible for the inexperienced.

When photobucket.com gets its ass in gear ill but up some photos.

P

busternlouie
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: '05' Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Re: Windows tinted, some help required!

Postby busternlouie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Just pay a professional to do it for you in situ. One rear screen ain't gonna break the bank to tint. Its not worth the hassle and potential costs of a monumental f@ck up should you damage the screen removing or reinstalling it.
Last edited by busternlouie on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2005 Megane Sporthatch 2.0 VVT Dynamique Extreme Blue

Paddy
F1 Driver

Postby Paddy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:47 pm

busternlouie wrote:Just pay a professional to do it for you in situ. One rear screen ain't gonna break the bank to tint. Its not worth the hassle and potential costs of a monumental f@ck up should you damage the screen removing or reinstalling it.

Im just not a fan of paying a ''professional" to do something i can do myself. Even if it does take a tad longer for just as good a job. Its about the satisfaction of knowing i did that myself and its as good as anyone out there could do.It also means a £150 job now cost under £20. Ill get the window out by trial and error just like i did the sides, just wanted a heads up.

but thanks chum, its an idea.

busternlouie
Advanced Driver

Postby busternlouie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Looking at Dialogys (I am assuming your model number is LM1N) I eventually found this:
The screen needs rebonding into place, so again I wouldnt bother removing unless absolutely necessary.........

Paddy
F1 Driver

Postby Paddy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:03 pm

busternlouie wrote:Looking at Dialogys (I am assuming your model number is LM1N) I eventually found this:

The screen needs rebonding into place, so again I wouldnt bother removing unless absolutely necessary.........

Ooo your a star, ill bond it with something. Not sure what but ill find out.

P

Paddy
F1 Driver

Postby Paddy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:07 pm

Do you have a link to that full manual? or could you email it to me?

thanks

P

busternlouie
Advanced Driver

Postby busternlouie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:21 pm

I can email you the technical notes, will be in 3 parts though. PM me your email address and i'll send them.

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Postby Toodeep » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:39 am

ulrich100 wrote:
busternlouie wrote:Looking at Dialogys (I am assuming your model number is LM1N) I eventually found this:

Ooo your a star, ill bond it with something. Not sure what but ill find out.

P

Please don't just "bond it with something". You'd be surprised at the pressure build up (when doors are slammed for example) and the amount the body wants to flex around the window apertures. Find out what the professionals use. Also, dont tint up to the edges of the glass (where the bonding adhesive will go) or else the window will effectively be held in place by the adhesive for the tints.

Thirdly, whenever I've seen windscreens being replaced, they always use tape to hold it in place for a few hours after bonding to allow it to set.

Paddy
F1 Driver

Postby Paddy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:39 pm

Yea I didn’t quite mean super glue from the local spar! I have the Renault guidance of how to strip and rebuild and what to use while doing it.

More to follow when photo bucket hurrys up.

P

busternlouie
Advanced Driver

Postby busternlouie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:43 pm

ulrich100 wrote:Yea I didn’t quite mean super glue from the local spar!

No you meant No More Nails from B&Q!!! :D

In that first pic I thought you were practising by tinting your coffee table!!

Paddy
F1 Driver

Postby Paddy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:56 pm

lol it just provided an excelent surface to work on.

Aye no more nails thats what im after!

here is one side done...

anth_dci
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II DCi 120 Dynamique 52 plate

Postby anth_dci » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:14 pm

so are you just going for the rear door windows and the rear screen? Do you not think it looks abit uneven having the rear half of the car so dark and the front half so light?
Megane II dynamique 1.9 DCI 120bhp, 5 door, 52 plate.

Poddy
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDi

Postby Poddy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:59 pm

you really tint the front windows much darker than that otherwise everytime you see a police car ur putting the windows down so they dont stop you and do you for illegal tints.
07 Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDi
Remapped

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:06 pm

A bonded screen is often accounted for 10-15% of the (torsional) rigidity of the body structure so is a vital part of the structural strength. So it's a good thing you've the proper stuff looked for.

Your tint job looks great so far, you have my full respect! I had a few attempts at tinting in my youth but decided tinting is one (of many) job(s) I'm not capable of so I'm paying a professional if I ever decide I need tints.

As the rear window curves in two directions you should only use high quality heat-formable film for it, and be prepared it can take hours to shrink to shape....
2,0 16V 6-speed manual: Image - Image

Paddy
F1 Driver

Postby Paddy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:25 pm

TheFinn wrote:A bonded screen is often accounted for 10-15% of the (torsional) rigidity of the body structure so is a vital part of the structural strength. So it's a good thing you've the proper stuff looked for.

Your tint job looks great so far, you have my full respect! I had a few attempts at tinting in my youth but decided tinting is one (of many) job(s) I'm not capable of so I'm paying a professional if I ever decide I need tints.

As the rear window curves in two directions you should only use high quality heat-formable film for it, and be prepared it can take hours to shrink to shape....

Yea i used a hair dryer to do the sides, quite a hot one i must say, but i have borrowed a hot air gun to do the rear. I have watched quite a lot of vids about doing it. So i know whats involved just have to be patient and take my time.

But if it goes on anything like the sides, i don’t know what all the fuss is about. This tinting is no bother (with the glass out) Its day three and not an air bubble to be seen

And as for the back being darker than the front, that life/the law. I couldnt be bothered with having to tear them off at the side of the road like some in here have had to do when seen by the fuzz or having to sort it for MOT.

Ill let you know how the rear window goes at the weekend, The touble tubed cement and applicator should arrived on thur/fri.

P

Return to “Modifications”