'too hot'

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

amulos

'too hot'

Postby amulos » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:50 pm

hi

i have a megane ii 56 plate (facelifted) it has the update list single cd/radio, after a couple of hours driving with different cds in and out the player display reads 'too hot' and the cd stops playing, when i eject the disc it is too hot to hold!!

is this common fault- as renault have had a look and said they have been unable to recreate this on my car! also as the car is 2 years old will a replacement/repair be covered on warranty?

any help/advise appreciated

thanks and merry christmas :D

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Re: 'too hot'

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:41 pm

odd.

explain it only happens after hours of driving hence they can't recreate the problem. you could take a pic next time you have it if it's safe to do so.

is it hot anywhere else in the area? presumably it's just a faulty component within the unit but you never know...

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:02 pm

Yes, this is normal for the Tunerlist and Updatelist radio's, it's some sort of internal safety system that prevents it from playing any further untill it has cooled down below a critical value. I've seen this question on other Renault forums before... Never had the problem myself as I don't like my music very loud in the car.

Probably it has nothing to do with the CD player mechanism but with the amplifier part of the radio which is getting to hot.

When you play your CD's, do you play it really loud (what volume setting do you normally have it set on when you receive this to hot error message)?
These radio's don't realy seem to like it when you play at large volume for long times :D
Megane II 5D-Hatch 2003 * 2.0 16V Autom. Dynamique * Gris Boreal
17" Steppe * Leather * RS front grilles
Xenon + 5LED side lights * Clear side indicators * Ph. 2 rear lights
Cabasse Tunerlist * Pioneer TS-Q131C/TS-E1396 * Ice>Link Plus + iPod

amulos

Postby amulos » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:01 pm

thanks for the replys.

i tend to have the music set at about 16 on the volume for most of the journey.

the air flow is set to screen and feet for most of the time, and the heater on about medium, i have tried it with the air con on blowing cold, and it didnt appear to make a difference- although in the middle of winter is was bloody cold :cool: for driving!
if i put my hand under the unit on the blanking gap- the underside of the unit is hot

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:18 pm

amulos wrote:i tend to have the music set at about 16 on the volume for most of the journey.

That's not that loud, shouldn't be the problem. Perhaps just the long time that you have it playing at one time.

amulos wrote:if i put my hand under the unit on the blanking gap- the underside of the unit is hot

That's perfectly normal, I have the same. When I take out the radio after some time of playing, it's realy hot. Probably if you let it play long enough, it will give the "too hot" message. As said before, I've read about it several times on other Renault forums before, it's "normal" expected behaviour of this radio. :nut

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:39 pm

logically its probably the fan in the stereo that has stopped working/faulty hence, the system can not cool down - too hot

8-)
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:50 pm

Don't think so, I think it's supposed to give this warning, i've seen it on other Megane forums several times.
Last edited by renier on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:59 am

renier wrote:Don't think so, I think it's supposed to give this warning, i've see it on other Megane forums several times.

:conf Renier, why is it suppose to give this message? i never had this messge?

what was the outcome on the other forums?

:pc
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:37 pm

In all cases it was just when they played it for long times on a high volume, it tends to overheat and has to cool down.

I think it's just a built-in safety future to prevent overheating, nothing wrong with these radio's

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:55 pm

i too have seen the too hot only it was on me old laguna, same radio, but in the HU's defence it was the middle of summer two years ago 5 hours in to a hot and sweaty journey blasting out thrash metal so i cant blame it for that, unless it was making a comment about the blonde in the BMW in which case i saw her first.......
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:15 am

Bumpy macaroon wrote:unless it was making a comment about the blonde in the BMW in which case i saw her first.......

very good sir... very good

P

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:15 pm

ulrich100 wrote:
Bumpy macaroon wrote:unless it was making a comment about the blonde in the BMW in which case i saw her first.......

very good sir... very good

P

Shh dont tell the missus, the brunette in the merc was quite tidy too must go wife wants me to carve the chicken (no my lucks not in its the sunday roast)
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

amulos

Postby amulos » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:02 pm

thanks for the replies-

the HU has now been replaced under warranty, and guess what ....... the new one does it as well!!

oh well... :(

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:09 pm

Well if you must crank up ur tunes to the max with a standard HU and speakers, you ought to expect that sort of thing. Its a built in protection system. Its better there than not.

If your after a half decenct sound you would be better off to change the standard spearkers ( made of paper and not up to much ) and the low powered standard HU.

You can beat the Pioneer renault speakers all round and a decent HU with a 50 -- 60W out put.

P

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:44 pm

amulos wrote:thanks for the replies-

the HU has now been replaced under warranty, and guess what ....... the new one does it as well!!

oh well... :(

Just what I was telling you, it's expected behaviour. When you turn up the volume too much for the radio , it will give you this message every time

Return to “ICE”