Newb looking to connect ipod touch!

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

19megane77
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane CC 2005 Dynamique 1.6 (Gold/Silver)

Newb looking to connect ipod touch!

Postby 19megane77 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:52 pm

hello,

I've recently purchased a 2005 Megane CC, and after reading through some of the ICE pages here I am confused about what options are open to me with regards to connecting my 16GB iPod Touch to my head unit.

I am totally new to this, so will just say that I have the "basic" renault cd player - not sure what its called and have no manual to look it up in (no 6cd changer unfortunately :-( ) and want to know the easiest way to connect my iPod.

I'm dont want to being messing about too much or moving things around, but was just wondering if there is a cable/ adapted that I can buy that will enable me to just plug it in and whack it in a cradle that'll sit on the dash.

Apologies if this has been asked plenty of times here before, but I am a total newbie to things like this and am just after some clear advice!

I'm off to carry on looking through the rest of the posts now and hope that someone is kind enough to help me out!

Regards

N

Andy_CC
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane CC and Nissan Navara Avantura

Re: Newb looking to connect ipod touch!

Postby Andy_CC » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:15 pm

Hi there and welcome.

Ive got a CC also, and ive just got the standard radio. i bought a kit from renault called a "tune point" this plugs in to the back of the standard renault radio and once in place gives you the option to use either a Ipod, MP3 player and USB sticks etc..... cost £180 though. maybe able to find a cheep one on ebay.

Or an wireless FM modulator, ipod plugs into the craddle and it works by picking u a FM signal that matches. then transmitts the sound though the radio signal, but the signal can be lost and music can become crackley! get this sort of thing from currys, comet etc... in the ipod section.

The only other option is to change the radio to one that has the Ipod connector etc.... but then you will lose the radio display on the top of your dash and the use of the steering wheel controlls unless you buy a unit that can get them working with an aftermarket radio!

all depends on how much u have to spend at the end of the day :)
07 Megane CC 1.6 Dynamique and Nissan Navara Avantura with 215 bhp and 480n/m Torque wooohooooo!!!!

19megane77

Postby 19megane77 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:23 am

thanks for the reply. the first option sounds the best, but ultimately costs a lot of money! the fm connector sounds like it could be a more cost effective option, if the signal remains good! I'll have to do a little search on this today and see what i can find out about it.

I dont fancy the idea of messing around with a new head unit and then losing the display and steering column controls, so i'll give that a miss!

thanks for your help mate, most appreciated!
:D

steve the postman
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 1.5 DCI 86 EXTREME TUNING BOX
DAB DIGITAL RADIO/DVD PLAYER
HID HEADLIGHTS
PIAA HORNS
GT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

Postby steve the postman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:17 pm

1.5 DCI 86 EXTREME, TUNING BOX, DAB DIGITAL RADIO/DVD PLAYER, HID HEADLIGHTS, PIAA HORNS, GT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL.

boyrevel
Currently Drives:: 1.5 tdci

Postby boyrevel » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:31 pm

I have recently changed my audio for a DVD player.

I can post you the Renault kit which plugs into the back of your stereo, and mounts in the glovebox for £70 if your interested?

19megane77

Postby 19megane77 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:06 pm

boyrevel wrote:I have recently changed my audio for a DVD player.

I can post you the Renault kit which plugs into the back of your stereo, and mounts in the glovebox for £70 if your interested?

thanks for the offer, i'll consider it!

19megane77

Postby 19megane77 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:07 pm

cheers eddie/ stevethepostman

i like the look of that head unit actually, but i'm assuming i'll lose the use of the steering column controls? that'd be a real shame :-(

Andy_CC
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane CC and Nissan Navara Avantura

Postby Andy_CC » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:09 pm

19megane77 wrote:cheers eddie/ stevethepostman

i like the look of that head unit actually, but i'm assuming i'll lose the use of the steering column controls? that'd be a real shame :-(

Yes you will lose the use of the steering column controlls, as with the make of that head unit i dont think there will be an adaptor avaiable unlike there is with sony, kenwood etc..... would lose the display also! and there no way of getting that to work with an aftermarket head unit.

That item BOYREVEL has for sale is the tune point that i payed £180 for!! bargin at £70. just plugs into the back of the standard radio and either mount the box in the glove box or like me, behind the tray below the radio, made a hole in the back of the tray so the ipod cable is located in the tray. I then just plug my ipod touch in and place it in the tray. and then use the steering column controlls to flick threw tracks etc.........
07 Megane CC 1.6 Dynamique and Nissan Navara Avantura with 215 bhp and 480n/m Torque wooohooooo!!!!

19megane77

Postby 19megane77 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:07 am

Eddie-- wrote:im prob way off topic ere but why does everyone go on bout the dam controls you lose them woow get over it IMO its no loss just lazyness i think by most ive lost mine and with an after market HU but till any u can make it fit splice the wires into the connects it can be done cause ive had a mess with the lights surrounds before :D just move ur arm over :L

"get over it"?!? you having a laugh mate? very constructive post, well done!its not laziness, it's just slightly more convenient.....

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:28 pm

Eddie-- wrote:im prob way off topic ere but why does everyone go on bout the dam controls you lose them woow get over it IMO its no loss just lazyness i think by most ive lost mine and with an after market HU but till any u can make it fit splice the wires into the connects it can be done cause ive had a mess with the lights surrounds before :D just move ur arm over :L

Have to disagree but nothing more convenient than changing stations, cd to radio volume without looking at the HU. I wouldn't change mine if i was losing steering wheel controls. :cool:

navid.v
Rally Driver

Postby navid.v » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:54 pm

have you looked at Dension Ice or Connects2 products?I bought Connects2 for the Megane then when we sold it,I just took it out and put it in the Clio,works great.Don't even consider the FM Transmitter because the sound quality is rubbish.
Current Car:BMW Z4 2.5 SE 04,Renault Clio Dynamique S 1.2 TCE 58 ;Previous Car:Megane II Sports Hatch 55 Reg Ottoman Blue 1.6 VVT

Return to “ICE”