Fitting New Head Unit

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

AfterThought

Fitting New Head Unit

Postby AfterThought » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:24 pm

Hi All,

Usually I'm not a total idiot but trying to change the renault head unit for the Sony GT30RN that i have bought is making me question this a little...

The instructions that came with the GT30RN talk about fitting the Bracket into the dash, so that when the head unit slides in it secures into the bracket and isn't removable from the dash without the approprate stereo keys... all very normal.

It's just that when i removed the renault head unit (and 6 cd in dash changer) there was a big void with nothing that i could see to attach the bracket to. So when i push the head unit in, the bracket just moved around lose within the space and the headunit lops at an angle. Any help?!?!

Cheers

Steve
57 1.6 VVT Megane Sports Hatch, 17" Steppe Alloys, Eclipse.

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Postby MrAsia » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:32 am

You push the bracket it, and then there are tabs on the bracket which you bend that makes sure it doesn't move around.
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

AfterThought

Postby AfterThought » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:35 am

Hey

Cheers for the reply. Thats what i thought (and tried) but there doesnt seem to be anything for the tabs to push against when you bend them out because the void in the dash is a lot bigger than the stereo. I have sorta shoved it in though and the rubber bung at the back which pushes into the fire wall seems to be holding it ok.

Steve

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:18 pm

Dude if you have removed your cd changer i take it you have a large hole under where you are putting your new HU, in which case you may want to bung it up with the standard storage tray, this should help remove the problem of the tilty HU, soz if im wrong have a look at the thread below
https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=5874

hope it helps, or stick the cd changer back in and leave disconnected, then when come to sell the car swap HU back over and give new owner standard fit HU and multi
:-)
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:22 pm

You need to push the cut outs on the cage with a screwdriver so they wedge against anything they can.
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 am

AfterThought, have you sorted it yet??
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

AfterThought

Postby AfterThought » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:31 pm

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all the replies. I have sorted it now. For future reference for anyone else fitting a GT30RN (or any other headunit i guess), there didn't seem to be much for the cage to push against inside the dash, however, the stabalising bar and gromet that push into the firewall, at the back of the recess in the dash, seems key to getting a good stable and secure fit.

I do now agree with the previous head unit comments about the heads up unit being next to useless when connected to the GT30RN - it displays about the first 6 characters of the ID3 tag - which on most of my tags has been the first 6 letters in the artists name rather than track name. However, I am happy to have retained full functionality of the steering wheel stalk.

Steve

Return to “ICE”