MP3 connection to update list for less then a tenner*updated

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

MP3 connection to update list for less then a tenner*updated

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:53 pm

note this was originally made in 2005 ready made leads are now available on e bay search for renault aux mp3 ipod this should pull up a few, simple lead set has green mini iso connector to a 3,5mm headphone jack between 7-10 quid, others are avail using rca jacks

Currently running a 05 plate gooner with update list (thanks catweasle for pointing out mistake, apologies to anyone i might of led astray with claim for other HU) but no cd changer, found a way to connect my samsung mp3 player into the aux input using a blaupunkt off the shelf cable (3.5 mm phono jack - mini iso) it did require a bit of modification ie cut the mini iso in half as you have to turn it round 180 degrees but it works, it is cheap, no control over the player and i have to turn the sound output of the player up but its better then a fm txer, as you are still able to get RDS traffic updates etc.
anyhoo, about to pick up new megane again no cd changer so will try to transplant the cable, if it works and if anyone interested i will post where to get the lead and photos of the modification/fit
buy cheap buy twice, im a cheapskate................
:gg:
Last edited by Bumpy macaroon on Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver

it works

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:57 am

works, thought it would HU exactly same as one in gooner, but sounds better must be shape of car or placement of speakers, any one want details?
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

jelly

Postby jelly » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:00 am

I'm interested!

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver

mp3

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:56 pm

Will put pics and info on over next few days, Jelly I will PB you once done

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver

This is how i did it.

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:17 pm

I have tried this twice on renaults and worked both times for me, take care when fitting and make sure power is switched off to the stereo if you follow the steps you should not have to disconnect the radio any damage is at your risk.....(sorry dont want to be sued!!) Plus ensure you can select AUX as a source, if not press and hold button that looks like a musical note until it beeps at you to get into expert mode, scroll thru to AUX and select on.

First off have a look at this site and get yourself the blaupunkt aux adaptor lead, i went for the jack plug style as it plugs into your head phone socket and has 1.9metre lead, the rca type has only 30cm
https://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/auxin.asp

once it arrives you will need a pair of radio DIN ISO radio removal tool, a hacksaw a small pair of wire cutters (side cutter) or small file and a couple of small tie wraps, dont panic this is to cut up the connector not the car. I dont have a picture of the connector pre mod but the pictures below will give you an idea of how to cut it up. There is basically three pins wired up next to a clip assy, the clip needs to be removed and a small groove put in its place to avoid damage to a pin that will be external to the connector, then you need to remove the connector body that is not wired up, I cut it through the centre of middle pin and then trimmed it up with the wire cutters, take care not to shatter the body.

Once the cuts are made and small groove in place remove your head unit, Tip put your gearstick in 3rd gear and put a thick sock over it, this will act as a support for the radio without scratching the knob (im trying to keep a straight face here). the two pictures below show where your new connector goes, looking at the rear on the right you will see a yellow mini iso this is your remote control and display data. the two connectors onthe left are the power and speaker connectors. there are two connectors not in, towards the front i believe is the multichanger or tunepoint connector, the final blank space is between the yellow connector and the large power connector, you put your new connector here the picture shows my connector already in place, closest to the power connector with what was the clip towards the yellow connector leaving a row of pins unconnected between them.

Take care when pushing in place if the middle pin on the outside is bending make the groove bigger and retry, once happy, use a couple of small tie wraps (zip ties) to anchor the lead to the aerial lead to prevent it being tugged.

Now you just have to decide where you want the lead to go, for now i simply dropped it out the back of the radio hole to the left down the side of the passenger area where i managed to pull it out at the base, then fed it into the area behind the flap covering the ECU interogation socket. From there i was able to pull it so it comes out under the cup holder ciggie lighter, I use this area to hide the mp3 player when parked, when driving i simply place it in front of the cup holders see picture. Obviously where you put it is upto you, when i had this setup in a laguna i had it in the glovebox however this time have gone for a minimum drilling holes stratagy

When refitting the radio i found it sometimes sat at an angle the bottom not sitting correctly, if you keep the removal tools in and apply a small amount of pressure down on them to get the radio to the same angle as the facia as you push the radio in you may find it will seat itself correctly, if it wont go in fully pull it back out and check that your wiring is not fouling the centre locating spigot (grey plastic thingy at the rear)

and thats it, its cheap cheerful and limited to the power of your mp3 player but if your happy just to have some sounds with minimum of fuss give it a go. Good luck let me know how it goes, unless you break it.
:cool:
Last edited by Bumpy macaroon on Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djkav
Passed Theory

Postby djkav » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:20 pm

Thx, I have just ordered the lead myself. I'm going to do the same. I'm not too impressed with the quality of some FM transmitters.
'57 Megane CC dCi 106 Privilege // Gun Metal

catweasle

Postby catweasle » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:19 pm

Hi Bumpy Macroon
I think this will only work for an Updatelist radio. There is the same tip on the Megane CC site that I have tried and it does not recognize the input once you disconnect the CD autochanger. The Tunerlist has no aux input so the only possibility is to use the CD input somehow. Does anyone out there have a solution to this? :(
Megane cc Privalege 1.9 dci

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:22 pm

catweasle wrote:The Tunerlist has no aux input so the only possibility is to use the CD input somehow.

That's correct. The cd changer bus uses a digital SPDIF format (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) so the analog aux signal needs to be converted to digital. Plus the headunit needs to be fooled into thinking there is a changer connected to it, otherwise it won't "lock" to that source.

catweasle wrote:Does anyone out there have a solution to this? :(

E.g. VDO Dayton (formerly Philips, makers of the original TunerList headunit) do an adapter cable that enables analog aux-in through cd changer bus:
"AC 1108/00 C3 Adaptor Cable: AUX In via CD Changer Bus"

Don't know anything more about, contact your local VDO Dayton stockist if you're interested.

Then if you're into soldering and tinkering, this might come in handy (well not all of it but adapt it to your needs):

https://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/hardwar ... trols.html

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver

appa log ease

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:37 pm

Cheers catweasle, think i did make a boo boo on the radio type didnt realise there are two types, mine is the update list, with no cd changer fitted, so for those out there in same boat it will work.....

:oops:

candyroch
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Dynamique 1.4 - Ottoman Blue - 2005, 17" Arays AR1 Carbon Yellowline Alloys, Rear Tints, Renault Spoiler, Clarion Sub, Alpine speakers, Full interior white and blue l.e.d set. Chrome strips, Chrome and leather gearstick & Lighter, Private Reg, Wind Deflectors & Silver BumbleBee Aerial!

Re: MP3 connection to standard HU for less then a tenner*updated

Postby candyroch » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:04 pm

Whoo Hoo! Just followed the steps set out above - and I now have the capacity of 4000 songs at my pearl! This is so much better than my fm radio connector i was using! Crystal clear quality and incredibly cheap and cheerful to do yourself. Proud of my efforts! posting.php?mode=reply&f=12&t=5873&sid=996ccf77bfcdfc1eb1074991ac426a7c#

Disco_Stu
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane sporthatch

Postby Disco_Stu » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:17 pm

Is that the connection for the CD Changer your using there?
Lifes too short to go slow
08 1.6 Dynamique

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:33 am

It would be to the Aux input on an UpdateList HU.
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

Disco_Stu
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane sporthatch

Postby Disco_Stu » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:38 pm

I'm gonnae have to try this

Bumpy macaroon, if your ever in glasgow, theres a cold one waiting for you :beer
Lifes too short to go slow
08 1.6 Dynamique

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:55 pm

hope it works for you Stu, had my motor in the dealers last week and one of the lads asked how i had managed to wire it in, told him it was the headphone output of the mp3 player going into the AUX +Ve, -Ve and Ground connection of the Aux input on the radio, he looked lost at that point.......

blocky

Postby blocky » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:27 am

Hey,

Done mine yesterday, pretty easy job and now works great. Thanks for the talk through and pics :cool:

Cheers..

Return to “ICE”