Advice on upgrading a 2004 Scenic Stereo & Speakers

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

nickb23

Advice on upgrading a 2004 Scenic Stereo & Speakers

Postby nickb23 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi All,

Hopefully going to buy a 04 Scenic Dynamique, and I was wondering how good the renault fitted CD Player is? I would like to upgrade it to a better one in the near future, but I was wondering if there is a list of stereos that use the on wheel controls, aswell as the dash display (if this is possible). Also I presume the standard speakers are pretty rubbish, so they would be the first things I upgrade. Does the Dynamique have 4 speakers, and are they all door mounted? Is it easy to replace the speaker wire to a better grade?

Thanks all

Nick B

andspenka
Advanced Driver

Postby andspenka » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:37 pm

It depends on what kind of radio you have fitted as standard as to whether you'll be able to upgrade to one that will work with the controls and display.

If your standard radio is a Tuner list then you shouldn't have any problems changing it for an after market one but you will need an adapter to get the steering controls working.

If it's an Update list one as standard then it's much more difficult to get working successfully with the controls and display. Argos had some Sony's on special a while ago which work perfectly, I bought one, but they haven't got any now so you may be stuck with going to your Renault dealer to get one that's suitable but they will be a fortune.

If you're not bothered about the display and controls then any aftermarket radio will work, they all have an ISO connector now which is a standardised connector and the same as what you have on your Scenic.

Speakers are a different story, If the doors are the same as the Megane they have a waterproof membrane on them which must not be cut. There are people that have cut it and the door leaks in, there are ways around this but just so you know. I would imagine changing the speaker wire would be a nightmare.
1.6 CC Dymanique in Ottoman Blue

nickb23

Postby nickb23 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:42 pm

thanks for the reply.
What is a Tuner List and Update List, and how would I know the difference?

navid.v
Rally Driver

Postby navid.v » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:49 pm

If I am right(if not, someone correct me here)Update list is on cars from 2005 onwards and that's the original Renault HU,as Tuner list is on older cars (prior to 2005).

Forgot to say,on the HU it states if it is Tuner list or Update list.
Current Car:BMW Z4 2.5 SE 04,Renault Clio Dynamique S 1.2 TCE 58 ;Previous Car:Megane II Sports Hatch 55 Reg Ottoman Blue 1.6 VVT

nickb23

Postby nickb23 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:26 pm

thanks for that. The scenic i looked at had the Update List. I am also looking at a 54 next week, so we will wait and see what that has..

On another question, I have seen on another post about the renault Ipod / mp3 adaptor. I don't own an Ipod (probably the only person in the world who doesnt!!), but I have got a creative Zen Xtra. Firstly can the 2003 - 2006 scenics use this box, and secondly can i hook up my creative, and control it through the scenic controls a la Ipod. i can do this with my zen and 360, as it is PlayforSure.

Also.....

How many accesory points (cig lighter holes) do the older scenics have. I can only see 1. Is this correct, and if so can i add more?
Like most people when my family go on a long journey, I usually have at least 4 things that need charging (phone, pda, gps, dvd even mp3), so more than 1 would be great - possibly in the glove compartment aswell.

thank all

Nick B

rencar12
Passed Theory

Postby rencar12 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:07 pm

From memory, only the Privilege has more power points - 4 in total. I remember querying this when I ordered my Scenic.

I have a Privilege Grand Scenic and it has a power point underneath the gearstick console, one in the centre box (this box is a factory fit option on all but the Privilege), and two in the rear (either side of the middle seat - on the floor).

The Dynamique has a speaker in each of the doors (x4), plus 1 each at the left and front corners of the dash. This gives the 6 that most of the Scenic range have.

I have the factory fit option of the Cabasse stereo which includes an amplifier in the rear boot area and a front load 6cd autochanger. I must say that it is superb and compared to another Scenic Privilege which my Brother has, its a far better sound and output.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

nickb23

Postby nickb23 » Sun May 06, 2007 7:53 am

Hi All,

I have now found a 54 Scenic (well after my AA inspection) with a tuner list Head Unit. Is there anyway, like with the update list HU to add an aux port?

Any other cheap / easy upgrades I can do to get better sound? Can anyone recommend a reasonable head unit that fully uses the steering controls and display that also accepts mp3 cd's aswell as Aux and USB - either front or back

thanks

Nick B

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Tue May 08, 2007 12:13 pm

nickb23 wrote:I have now found a 54 Scenic (well after my AA inspection) with a tuner list Head Unit. Is there anyway, like with the update list HU to add an aux port?

No, not a simple analogue aux in. You'd need the Update List for that.

Any other cheap / easy upgrades I can do to get better sound? Can anyone recommend a reasonable head unit that fully uses the steering controls and display that also accepts mp3 cd's aswell as Aux and USB - either front or back

The Connects2 website should give some details on any adaptors they do to go between the stalk and display and after market head units.
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

nickb23

Postby nickb23 » Tue May 08, 2007 2:16 pm

Hi Gav,

Thanks for the reply - I had a look at the connects2 website, and found the following AUX device, CTVRNX001

https://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/shop/C ... s/Renault/

This I hope will allow me to plug in my Creative MP3 player into the stereo via the supplied 3.5mm jack. Is this correct?

Also how would I choose the input between the radio / CD and Aux input?

Sorry to be so vague, but I havn't got the car yet, so cant play around.

thanks again

Nick B

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Tue May 08, 2007 3:22 pm

Nick,

The CTVRNX001 looks to be what you'll want to get an aux in on the Tuner List, although it wont charge your Creative (although it should be possible to rig something up to do that - like a car charger).

I would expect that you would need to use the source button on the head unit (or stalk controls) to select the cd changer (as that's what it's pretending to be). Once the HU is happy there's something connected you will be able to select it as an input.

I've only mad my Megane a week, and am finding the stereo of much better quality than the previous Peugeot 307. It doesn't quite rival my old Punto for bass which had a subwoofer as standard, but the overall sound is good IMHO.
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

Return to “ICE”