Connecting Ipod to stereo

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jmeasey

Connecting Ipod to stereo

Postby jmeasey » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:09 pm

Hi,

I have a 2003 Megane (2.0 16v) which has a dash mounted 6 cd changer (tuner list) stereo. What is the best way of connecting my ipod to this stereo? Can i do it and keep the cd changer working or will that have to be disconnected to free up an input on the stereo?

i dont want an FM solution - tried an itrip and it was rubbish! Looking at the Harmon Kardon Play and drive? anyone got this/is it any good?

thanks for help

jmeasey

tiw75
Learner Driver

Postby tiw75 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:16 pm

check this link out, should give all the info required.

https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=4016

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:34 pm

i have an ipod fitted using the Connects2 system. Costs around £80 and gives pure sound. Unfortunately you cant have an ipod and cd changer connected at same time as they use the same input.
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

hannson
Advanced Driver

Postby hannson » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:13 pm

chrislloydie wrote:i have an ipod fitted using the Connects2 system. Costs around £80 and gives pure sound. Unfortunately you cant have an ipod and cd changer connected at same time as they use the same input.
i've got the same iPod solution :) and I love it :)

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:42 pm

I have a Dension Ice>Link in my Peugeot 307 (a Megane Sport Tourer is replacing it by the end of April), which requires a Connects2 converter. I'll be hooking up a similar system into the Megane but have a couple of questions:

I can't find out much info on the Connects2 iPod, certainly nothing like how you use it (besides pressing a CD button to select a playlist). Do they work reliably? What;s the part number and approx cost?

If I continue with my Dension which connects using the Sony protocol I'd need a different Connects2 converter to Sony at a cost of £40 (+P&P), which is probably cheaper, although I am concerned as it's not been 100% reliable in the Peugeot - every trip I have to manually reset it after a song or two using a switch I have mounted under the dash!

Another question is regarding mounting. At present my iPod lives in the glovebox since there's holes in the side large enough to get the cable through without modification. How is it like finding somewhere for the iPod in the Megane? I know there's loads of storage spaces (hooray!), but are any good to use without drilling holes?

navid.v
Rally Driver

Postby navid.v » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:44 pm

I keep my iPod in the centre armrest and do use connects2.I got mine about a year ago if I am right and cost me about 85 quid from halfords,can't be sure about part numbers but can easily check connects2 website or I can have a look at my pack and give you the numbers.

it works perfect and touch wood never had any problems with it.I bought as it was one of the recommended ones by some of the guys who were already using the system.
Current Car:BMW Z4 2.5 SE 04,Renault Clio Dynamique S 1.2 TCE 58 ;Previous Car:Megane II Sports Hatch 55 Reg Ottoman Blue 1.6 VVT

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:25 am

mine is located in an active cradle also bu connects2 and is fitted in the centre armrest. I ran the wire under the center console to the stereo so I can leave the ipod in the car with no visible signs of it being there. The ipod the just clips into the cradle. Mine has never failed me, only thing is the track info is not displayed on the standard hu display.
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

Gav
Advanced Driver

Postby Gav » Fri May 04, 2007 10:52 am

Having tried some other things, I think I'll get a Connects2, but wanted to share what I've found out about the Update List radio and it's compatibility.

It uses the VDO CD Changer protocol, as it's probably designed/made by them. They have 2 versions, 1 analogue, 1 digital. The analogue goes on the cheap and older radios, but the digital goes to Renault. The only difference is that it uses S/PDIF rather than good old stereo analogue. The update List has an aux in (it's not on the Tuner List).

I got myself off eBay a cheap VDO IP 2205, hoping it would work. It's so close, but I hadn't found out about the analogue/digital thing, and it's analogue, so works with cars like Hyundai's, but not Renaults. It did get recognised as a CD Changer, but always came up with a Link Error.

Next I got a new cable set for my Dension Ice>Link Plus. I found the reconfiguration mp3 file and set to it. CD Changer not even detected. Perhaps it wont work with the digital input anyway, since iPods don't do S/PDIF, just analogue! (OK, and USB/Firewire). The cable has a board in the middle concealed by heat shrink, so it might convert the analogue to S/PDIF there.

There's a sourceforge project that is trying to use the CD Changer and S/PDIF input to connect to an in-car PC. Personally I don't want to go down that route. I only got my iPod to work in my previous car after having a flawlessly working CD Changer in the one before that.

The alternative (if you don't have an iPod already) is to get a VDO CD Changer. Make sure it's digital capable, probably best to go for the 6CD MP3 compatible one. Or get the iPod and Connects2, which must be doing analogue to S/PDIF conversion...

edit: Found on AVForums that DEnsion don't support Renault until firmware 2.12, where as I had 2.10, so I managed to get hold of the latest firmware, and bingo - it works! Threaded the lead to the glovebox and it's out of sight. The price of the Dension kit is more than Connects2...
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

costanza

Postby costanza » Thu May 24, 2007 4:42 pm

i have the Connects2 system only thing i dont llike about it is when you turn off the car stereo the ipod keeps charging and doesnt switch off.so you have to unplug the ipod everytime,unless you trust leaving it charging all the time heh

hannson
Advanced Driver

Postby hannson » Fri May 25, 2007 4:50 am

costanza wrote:i have the Connects2 system only thing i dont llike about it is when you turn off the car stereo the ipod keeps charging and doesnt switch off.so you have to unplug the ipod everytime,unless you trust leaving it charging all the time heh
hmmm..

1. if your car is still running, it will keep charging regardless of whehter your stereo is on/off.

2. if your car stops (engine stopped), it will stop charging

This is because connects2 is wired to your ignition for charging.

Gav
Advanced Driver

Postby Gav » Fri May 25, 2007 12:33 pm

I think Dension now do some units called "Gateway" that allow a CD Changer to still be connected as well as the iPod.
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

costanza

Postby costanza » Fri May 25, 2007 4:14 pm

hannson wrote:
costanza wrote:i have the Connects2 system only thing i dont llike about it is when you turn off the car stereo the ipod keeps charging and doesnt switch off.so you have to unplug the ipod everytime,unless you trust leaving it charging all the time heh
hmmm..

1. if your car is still running, it will keep charging regardless of whehter your stereo is on/off.

2. if your car stops (engine stopped), it will stop charging

This is because connects2 is wired to your ignition for charging.

must be something wrong with mine then cos mine allways says charging or charged it never turns off

Return to “ICE”