Megane II cc door speakers replaced

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Malroy
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II CC

Megane II cc door speakers replaced

Postby Malroy » Fri May 26, 2017 8:29 am

Seen lots of discussion on this so here's my experience if it helps?
Original door speakers had it so looking for replacements on eBay there are so many aftermarket options it's bewildering. Anyway I noted Megane kits but non actually listed what was included with the speakers so I decided to just buy the speakers (alot cheaper) listed against a kit assuming they would fit. I went for Alpine items and guess what; they didn't fit as magnets fouled the rain shield. I've read too much about the issues of cutting away the shields and for me that was not an option. What to do? Well I found Pioneer speakers described as having front mounted magnets so these like the easiest route but more expense so I decided to have a go at making spacers for the Alpines. I needed around 50mm clearance between the dealer mounting face and the rain shield. I had some leftover 7mm laminate floor board and made the spacer rings from this. Two rings (14mm) gave me the required clearance so speaker fitted and now just to refit the cover panels. I wasn't confident they would clear the speaker but they sort of did. Basically they just touch the tweeter which sits slightly proud of the cone and I was careful not to bash the panel back hard. Only did the job last night but they sound fine.

Top tip #1: Don't assume Megane "kit" speakers will fit like I did.

Top tip #2: The polarity of the speaker wires to me at least wasn't that clear so I "popped" one of the old speakers using a 9v battery to confirm but easier still is checking out the dedicated (a couple of quick on eBay) adapter plugs and all have the red wire on the retaining clip side of the plug.

Hope this helps

Return to “ICE”