component speakers!

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

joeysheff
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megan 1.9dci 120bhp

component speakers!

Postby joeysheff » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:15 pm

hey guys, iv got a headache thinking about this so please help.
Iv bought some cheap 5.25" components and they came with tweeters and cross overs.

Now iv seen people just disconnect the old speakers and just replace them with the new ones. My question is this.... What do I do with the crossovers which was included in the box?

At the moment the speakers will be powered just by the head unit but I do have a 4 channel amp to install but not yet as I haven't got the time or decent weather.

Would I need to install these crossovers before fitting the amplifier?

Has my car already got crossovers built-in because how is it playing mids and highs before?

Please please help guys, I keep running it through my head and cant work out if I need to feed the old tweeter wire to the doors etc
Thankyou. Kind regards

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Re: component speakers!

Postby joeishmather » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:04 pm

You in sheffield mate?

pfeek114
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane MK2 1.5 DCI

Postby pfeek114 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:02 am

normally the wire from the headunit feeds the crossover, which then splits into the speakers and tweeters
but as you say, the megane has door speakers and tweeters as standard so unless you took the door off and looked, im stumped
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow.........No Smoke, No Poke

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:03 am

From the head unit there is a separate feed to the tweeters an main speakers, as crossovers are specific to each tweeter you will need to splice both r & l main speaker feeds so you can leave one going to main speakers and one to the crossover and then tweeter, you'll obviously need to do this for both right and left side speakers.. :-)

joeysheff
Passed Theory

Postby joeysheff » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:41 pm

joeishmather wrote:You in sheffield mate?

Hello there mate, yes im from sheffield!
Originally from Ecclesall but living in hillsborough at the mo!
Sorry for the late reply, iv just come back from Cape Verde islands last night.

joeysheff
Passed Theory

Postby joeysheff » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:53 pm

joeishmather wrote:From the head unit there is a separate feed to the tweeters an main speakers, as crossovers are specific to each tweeter you will need to splice both r & l main speaker feeds so you can leave one going to main speakers and one to the crossover and then tweeter, you'll obviously need to do this for both right and left side speakers.. :-)

Right iv found alittle info!
There is alittle resistor on the side of the original tweeters which prevents bass but lets out vocals.
There are 4 wires. Positive and negatives to both original woofer and tweeter and gets sent both the same signals but the tweeter blocks out bass.

So iv got a understanding that if I just unplug the tweeter, leave that alone from now on and just use the one wire from the woofer.
Unplug woofer, then plug the wire to cross over. From cross over to woofer and one wire to tweeter.
Jobs a good un.

Plus the rear doors should be easier. That only has the one woofer. So plug cross over into that and then lead one wire to new woofer and other to the other tweeter.

If anybody else has any other takings, please lets me know!!!

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:55 pm

If you fancy meeting up I should be able to help you out, I can show you how I've done mine..
I'm living in ranmoor so fairly close to you!

joeysheff
Passed Theory

Postby joeysheff » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Hello again joeismather
Sorry for the late reply again. Been busy planning wedding etc. Iv managed to fit all the door speakers. All I will say it was pish easy to do. My speakers are already water resistant and I ended up cutting the water guard off alittle. The rear speakers was the easiest. I drill 3 holes on top and fitted the tweeter pods on both doors, removed the old woofer (thrown in the bin lol) and a direct replacement woofer.
The fronts iv just soldered the wires and put the crossovers in the hole with the tweeters and used the original speaker wires for the doors.
I then paid someone £40 just to fit my sub and amp because I couldnt be bothered to do all the wiring through the bulkhead.
Then I fitted my other amp (4 channel) and jumped the signal from the output from one amp (sub amp) to the other and BINGO!

The sound quality is soooo amazing now. I dont understand why some people use co-axial speakers for fill when you can have components in each door for amazing clarity.
I only wanted a cheap setup and this has achieved more than expected.

Just want to say thankyou so much for the offer! If you need any help to, just ask pal. Pictures to follow.

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:45 pm

That all looks great, components are massively better, when I initially put all mine in I was amazed by the sound quality.

joeysheff
Passed Theory

Postby joeysheff » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:58 pm

joeishmather wrote:That all looks great, components are massively better, when I initially put all mine in I was amazed by the sound quality.

The quality is amazing now pal. The only thing I mite do later down the line is either change the door speakers or the sub and amp to the pioneer 3500w sub lmao!
Iv got now:-

Kenwood head unit (android phone enabled) usb etc
4x Fli 5.25" component speakers in each door
Inphase sub and amp package (audio bahn 400rms sub and 600 watt inphase amp with box) £90 BARGIN!!! From car audio center
https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -27111.htm
Sony explode 4 channel 600 watt amp.

Bought all the power wires and speaker wire etc cheap of ebay. Always use a 4 gauge or lower because you can bank on that you will add stuff or upgrade more lol.

pfeek114
Just Passed

Postby pfeek114 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:16 pm

if done properly, aftermarket sound systems look and sound brilliant

one query though is why dont you see about mounting the tweeters in the doors themselves, or was it left how it is for when you want to remove them and sell the car, so you dont have a big hole in the door plastic lol

joeysheff
Passed Theory

Postby joeysheff » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:12 pm

pfeek114 wrote:if done properly, aftermarket sound systems look and sound brilliant

one query though is why dont you see about mounting the tweeters in the doors themselves, or was it left how it is for when you want to remove them and sell the car, so you dont have a big hole in the door plastic lol

I was thinking about fitting them flush with the doors but, I preferred my idea of how they are now. Plus the imaging of the sound is amazing. I dont know how I did it but got all the vocals at the front but high instruments at the rear. God knows buts its perfect to my ears!
One little niggle tho, 99% of all mp3's seem to be of different quality and volume.

E.g I downloaded pitbulls new tune 'party' and f**k me, its the loudest iv ever had a tune blast through the speakers. Then il play a album or track like Westwood hiphop tune and when I get to a certain volume, the mid range start to pop and crack sometimes, so I have to notch it down by 1 or 2 volumes. Do you think its cracking due to it not handling lows properly?
Maybe I mite have to turn gain down alittle, but then again some tunes are perfect...? Any help guys on the matter?

pfeek114
Just Passed

Postby pfeek114 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:32 pm

downloads will nearly always be different quality, depending on the source you got the track from, my phone music is the same, play one track its not loud enough so you put the volume up to full, select another and it needs turning down

2 ways to try and stop this, only download from the same source, ie itunes store, or just stick with cds as there all made to the same sound quality

in terms of the crackles, try fiddling with the equalizer on your head unit and amps, it does take a while to do but there is a perfect setting for all tracks

Return to “ICE”