ICE Updated

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Tim2cv
Currently Drives:: 1986 2CV6 (602cc Stock)
1976ish AKS400 (1299cc Mod)
Megane 2 130 DCi Dyn

ICE Updated

Postby Tim2cv » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:48 pm

So the standard kit is rubbish and I do like to be able to hear my tunes clear and loud so I decided to swap the speakers and head unit.

Bought the recommended option Pioneers for the fronts as didn't want to mess about too much

removed the old paper cone junk

and replaced with the pioneers, plugged straight in!

covers fitted back with ease, nice and neat

original tweeters removed from the dash

and the Pioneer options installed

original grill replaced with ease

Time to attempt fitting the rear speakers... I have read alot on this forum about fitting them and they looked a pain in the arse.
Using this link https://www.ray-lee.co.uk/megane/PDF/Rea ... pgrade.pdf on my mobile I set to work, a little worried about the comment at the bottom of the link

I have to be honest; it took me around 4 hours to undo the first door (reading, studying, trying stuff, web
surfing and more), but I did the second one in under an hour. This is not as fast as replacing the front
speakers, but it’s perfectly ‘doable’.

undoing the trim and opening the little hatch up on the rear door

removing the door trim

Change the speakers for a set of Clarion specific fit ones (cheaper than Pioneer but good all the same)
No pictures here as the whole process was a juggling act for someone with 4 arms!

Testing with the original head unit was...

....disappointing to be honest, but then the head unit is only 15w x4 :roll:

Front speakers took about 10 minutes to change where as the rears took abit longer, about 30 minutes on the first door and about 20minutes on the second... not bad really, and alot quicker than I had anticipated!

New head unit time!

I bought a second hand high spec head unit off EBay with USB input, Aux in, 3 pre-outs, Bluetooth streaming and phone connectivity, MP3 CD etc... was a bargain.

Fitting began by removing what i could to see what i was working with

After fitting and routing the cable for the microphone up the door pillar...

....and routing the USB cables

I trial fitted the head unit using initially the fascia adapter I bought off Amazon. It didn't fit as the unit is massive and chunky?! :eek

I ended up not using the fascia adapter and just pushing the unit in. It doesn't look pretty but until I can do something later in the week in the light with modifying the fascia or making it fit a bit better it will have to do.

Overall, I am much happier with the sound, its so much better and the new speakers have come alive with a bit of power through them! :-)

I need to look into steering wheel controls, a proper location for the USB plug and I want to put my little active sub in the boot when i have a free Saturday morning....

Keep you updated!!!

Tim

Ashcash
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: '55 Plate Renault Megane II, with plans for modification!! :)

Re: ICE Updated

Postby Ashcash » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Great post Tim,

You've convinced me toget the pioneers!

Also the link you provided is a god send!!

Tim2cv
Megane 2 130 DCi Dyn

Postby Tim2cv » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Couldn't get on with the all singing all dancing head unit so opted for something a little more subtle, with extras!!!

A Laguna MP3 CD Headunit and a 6 disc in dash changer! All very bargainous from EBay!

Even the original display tells me the MP3 playing!

Another bonus of using an Update List MP3 unit is I have still got my AUX input too!In my case linked to my HTC.

Looks Tidy!

Code generator on here worked wonders once I stopped being silly and did the headunit then the changer! Correct code every time!

Also, the changer came full of free CD's and the speakers sound great from it.

Tim

Megane II
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.6 Dynamique.
K&N Filter
Bilstein B6 Suspension
Megane RS springs
Toyo R1R
Pioneer 8200BT

Postby Megane II » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:48 am

How is the sound from the new speakers (TSQ-131C)? I'm about to buy them, and i'd really like to have your opinion.
Michael Schumacher.
7 times F-1 World Champion.

Tim2cv
Megane 2 130 DCi Dyn

Postby Tim2cv » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:16 pm

New speakers are much crisper and fuller sound. Still not full of bass due to depth and mounting plastic of the Megane but a vast improvement on the original speakers. Appear much louder too.

Megane II
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.6 Dynamique.
K&N Filter
Bilstein B6 Suspension
Megane RS springs
Toyo R1R
Pioneer 8200BT

Postby Megane II » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:56 am

Thanks mate.
Michael Schumacher.
7 times F-1 World Champion.

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:07 pm

niiice. So where can us mere mortals buy the speakers?

Tim2cv
Megane 2 130 DCi Dyn

Postby Tim2cv » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:34 am

Bought my speakers off EBay. Similar price to everywhere else tbh.

Noticed the other night the Laguna stereo has Red illuminations instead of White on the original one. makes no difference to me though

esko

Postby esko » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Hello, I was google-ing these speakers in megane-s and came across your post. I'm intending to buy these speakers and I already have an ''Update list'' head unit. I would like to keep it, but some say that if i want to have better sound i have to change it. So my question to you is, did you put any amplifiers behind the radio or is the sound that bether with just the Update list head unit and new speakers? Because sound in my car is of very poor quality and i would love some more bass from my system. I know u didnt say anything about amplifiers, but i just want to check before spending any money on these speakers.

Thank you.

Return to “ICE”