Front speakers: water shield (depth limit) removal [HOW TO]

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

theV
Currently Drives:: 2003's Renault Megane II 1.6 16V Luxe Privilege

Front speakers: water shield (depth limit) removal [HOW TO]

Postby theV » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:44 am

EDIT:
find down below long post with linked pictures.

Hi to everyone, first post here! :-)

The title says it all, I want to cut away the semi-lunar water shields behind the front door speakers, with the purpose of fitting standard size, easier to find units.

I'm talking about the ones detailed in the central pic on page 3 of the famous Pioneer fitting PDF guide by Matthew Bowden (thanks!)

From my research the cutting job has barely been cited in a couple of threads.

I already have an idea of how to proceed: I would use a Dremel-like saw at just the right depth into the hole, then carefully follow its semicircular profile, then pull out the severed shield through the speaker hole.
All of this having removed of course the grille and previous speaker but without removing the whole door plastic e.g. disassembling anything.

I kindly ask if any of you has already done it and if it is feasible, or if there are instead serious issues (guess: invisible wires around and above the shield, plastic too thick for a Dremel blade, etc.) which demand the full separation of the door interior from the metal frame, which I'm not gonna do or get done.

Thanks!
Last edited by theV on Sat May 15, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
2003 Renault Megane II 1.6 16V Luxe Privilege; LPG

JasonS
Learner Driver

Re: Front door speaker water shield ablation

Postby JasonS » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:13 pm

Once you have removed the water shield, how will you prevent water from falling on the new speaker?

Will you fabricate a larger shield, or just risk wet speakers?

I would suggest that if you need to fit larger speakers, you build up the front of the door with some sort of spacer, so you can accommodate the extra depth.
2005 Megane CC Monaco 1.9dci 130

downsyndromedhorse
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 120 BHP

Postby downsyndromedhorse » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:32 pm

I'd have to agree with that. I considered doing what your planning and i decided against it when i got water inside the door pockets. If it comes in when that shield is in place, then i can only imagine that it'll get worse if its not. Plus you'd be putting your nice new speakers at risk too.
3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 160Bhp(ish) - K&N Panel Filter - Full HID Conversion - Pioneer TS-Q131C - Koni -35mm lowering Springs - JVC Head unit - EGR Blanked - Decat fitted

theV

Postby theV » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:10 pm

First of all thank you for the prompt replies! :tu

Clever opinions which I respect, but I already thought about it and developed an idea.

• First, a few days ago I removed and put back on the front speakers, and found both the connector dripping wet (never had water leaks inside, to be honest), and the speakers cellulose stained.
So IMHO at least some water splashes anyway onto the speakers, even with the shield untouched.

• I would choose polypropylene-diaphragm speakers, like many other Pioneer or other Brands' models. It's more than decent sound-wise and completely immune to water or humidity, since it's a single plastic layer and cannot absorb anything.

• IMHO the water leaks inside the door pockets are mostly due to poor sealing, not shielding. I haven't had yet any leaks because the thin foam attached to the inner speaker rim is somehow still in excellent condition.
With the new speakers I would put a generous amount of silicone just before fitting, and let the car rest for a day long.

• Finally... I thought of building a screen ONTO the back of each new speaker, in the same position of the old.
I would cut it in fiberglass, with a bit of instant glue lock it in position against the metal frame and then apply its proper catalyzed resin; then repeat for 1 more extra layer.
The final result will become as hard and waterproof as plastic can be and - hopefully - as stable as being born with the speaker.

Back to the original question... does anybody know with no doubt or from personal experience if I can safely - meaning: not breaking or irreparably damaging anything in the act - cut away the shield operating just inside the hole with a Dremel? :?:

downsyndromedhorse
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 120 BHP

Re: Front door speaker: water shield ablation

Postby downsyndromedhorse » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:08 pm

I've had the door cards out and i don't recall seeing anything above the shields.
Just dont go too mad with your dremmel piece and you should be fine. If you are concerned then you'll have to take the door card out to make sure, but as far as i no, there's nothing in a reasonable distance.
If you do go ahead, good luck and let us know how you get on with it.
3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 160Bhp(ish) - K&N Panel Filter - Full HID Conversion - Pioneer TS-Q131C - Koni -35mm lowering Springs - JVC Head unit - EGR Blanked - Decat fitted

theV

Postby theV » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Thank you very much for clarification!
Of course I'll post a report of it (or even try to make a tutorial) if I'm succeeding.
;)

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:26 pm

hi, have you done this yet? ive cut aay the sheilds and enlarged the hole to fit in 17 cm speakers, i got lots of water in, :-( but just made a make shift shield from lead, and bubblewrap, so to deaden the sound and protect from water, it works really well, and no speaker vibration :-)

just wondering how youve got on?

theV

Postby theV » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:35 pm

joeishmather wrote:it works really well, and no speaker vibration :-)

Great! Any pictures available? (without dismantling everything of course :lol: )

No I still didn't proceed for lack of time, but I'm determined to do it (and then report here).
Although I admit it would not be for everyone, since for only a few bucks more and without any hassle the custom Pioneers can be dropped in.
But... the lust for DIY :wink:

Btw last week I had water in door pocket (left side only) after heavy rain, and found NO leaks whatsoever from the speaker location.
I was also having the grill removed, with the small "accessory" holes (the round and the square one) fully exposed, and no water at all was coming from there.

I seriously think the problem might lie somewhere else, overlooked

theV

Postby theV » Mon May 03, 2010 7:53 pm

YEAH I did it! :D
I never heard the custom Pioneers but the ones I used (Hertz, 60W RMS, +-2 mm Xmax capable) sound personally nothing short of outstanding... especially considering I drive the speakers unamplified, just via the 4x50W (25W RMS) of my Clarion h.u..

I don't even need to boost the bass such is the pressure and lack of distortion, I'm flat except "-1" on treble and "+1 front" on fader. (I always prefer EQ as flat as possible, everywhere)

However it's been a LOT of work :?
Nothing impossible or expensive, but I had to modify the speakers, obviously the doors, then even a couple of screws :!: and buy/have at hand a lot of bits of parts and substances...

I took pictures in the making, from beginning to end result; here follows the sequence.
I don't think it's so useful for the masses :-) for a few dollars more and zero work you can drop in custom speakers; however it's still a bit of information to share.

DISCLAIMER:

THIS IS A PERMANENT MODIFICATION TO YOUR CAR, WHICH MAY GIVE OR WORSEN PROBLEMS IN THE FUTURE.
NO RESPONSIBILITIES ARE ASSUMED.

IT ALSO INVOLVES THE USE OF HIGH SPEED CUTTING TOOLS.
EVERYTHING YOU DO IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

- End of disclaimer -

Regarding waterproofing, after to job the car underwent both light and heavy rain, for at least a week, and not the smallest hint of water could be seen on the inside of the door, both in the pocket or in the speakers region. ;)
Although it might be just luck.

• SPEAKER CHOOSING AND MODDING

(this picture was actually taken with shield already removed)
Here I measure the available depth before glass at the shallower point (bottom of hole)
The result is 59 mm or about 2"5/16.
Anything shallower will fit perfectly (the choosen Hertz speakers are 56 mm)

A comparison between OEM speakers and the newly acquired substitute.
Notice the massive magnet and the orange, clever rubber protection preinstalled at the factory.

Hint:
I think it's - always, not only in this case! - a good idea to "run in" the speakers before actually installing them, so in the car they will sound at their best immediately.
I attached them to a home stereo, turned on its radio and let them function at a decent volume - not enough to hear distortion, but to witness a nice cone displacement - for a couple of days while I was at work (about 20 hours total), before proceeding to mod.

Since the Renault wires are short, barely an acceptable length, when installing you must "point" the speaker contacts towards the front bottom of the door, where the harness emerges from the door.
Since the mounting screws are not simmetrical in this sense, you have to decide in advance which speaker you're putting on which side!
Then cut the excessive flaps accordingly.

Here I accurately masked with tape the new speaker, on both sides.

Warning: you better wear gloves, goggles or any kind of apt protecion, and use extra care
The cutting of the unwanted flaps, and the afterwards result.
(There's a vacuum hoose sucking cutting particles.)
Hint: with an air compressor blow away the fine metal residues which are magnetically attracted to the speaker, just before removing masking tape.

Hint: every time I am about to stick anything or apply glue or sealant, I clean the interested surface with acetone.

With self sticking aluminium tape (100% metal, thick variant) I mask the frame of the speaker, on what will become the upper half (exposed to rain etc.)

As previously posted, I initially thought of using fiberglass but Al-tape is fantastic, much cheaper, easier and cleaner/safer to use.
Plus it has a good adhesive and it doesnt' tend to "retire" or change shape, once attached it will assume the one you model it into and keep together with the speaker frame.

Since I could not determine the exact profile of tape before sticking, I started at mid-width and then cut the excess aluminium while proceeding outwards sticking/modelling. Finally cut the exact "borders".

Here I put silicone sealant at the junction between frame and magnet, at the same side ("upper half") as the aluminium tape.
I leave the lower half free, because I want moisture to be able to leak away should it enter the speaker.
(BTW I should have put it also on the back of magnet - top of picture - where the rubber protection ends and you see the black label)

Here you see the finished, ready speaker. All along the mounting rim (except near the screw holes) I carefully glued - aiding with a bit of cianoacrylate at the ends - self-sticking profiled rubber strip, the kind for fixing window/door gaps.

• DOOR MODDING

Beware! On the driver's side (left in my case), there are the wires of the side mirrors control dangerously close to the rain shield, where you're going to cut; I nearly severed them!
Block/stick them in a safe position, and use extra care when cutting.

With a blow torch or lighter, heat to red a long iron wire then quickly pierce the shield; wait it to cool down then bend it, like in the picture.
This is to prevent the shield and attached debris to fall down inside the door just after cutting.

Here (with masking tape) I stuck in position the hoose of the faithful vacuum cleaner. It will capture part of debris during cutting.

Ready to cut! The cutting blade must be at least 40 mm in diameter (as justified below) and must be stated as "compatible for plastics" or PVC, otherwise it will almost exclusively melt the plastic instead of cutting.
Warning: you better wear gloves, goggles or any kind of apt protecion, and use extra care

Left door shield cut away!
Notice the screw nest (they're the top one for each speaker, towards the rear) at the left extreme of the shield. With a smaller cutting blade you wouldn't be able to cut it away altogether.
IMPORTANT: for each side, only the "rear" (and upper) screw/holes are going to be severed - because they're part of the shield - and later replaced with an appropriate nut.
Front/lower screw and hole in the plastic must be kept INTACT.

Manually removing melted residues, aided with vacuum cleaner.

New edges, quite clean!

4 mm screws are to be used. The speaker mounting holes accept 5 mm, but I think 4 it's more kind to the door plastic.
Enlarge to 4 mm the aformentioned screw hole (top, rear one); result follows, with screw inserted as a reference.
Use an abrasive tool, don't use a drill or its bit will stick and heavily damage the plastic!

I initially wanted to use a harness adapter, but I feared its wires would come in the way of the descending window.
So I cut away the original connectors and soldered fastons.
Pay attention to polarity! The positive is on the side of the locking spring on connector.

NUT PREPARING AND FINAL INSTALLATION

Notice: screws, washers and wingnut must be made of stainless/INOX steel.. They won't stick together with moisture, in case you want to untight them in the future.

Here comes a funny part :-) surely there are better or easier means of achieving.

First, I glued with cyanoacrylate a washer (4 mm hole, 12 mm ext. diameter) to a wingnut, to increase its contact surface (remember we will tight this where we cut away the original plastic thread)
Second, I wanted to be dead sure nothing would fall and get lost inside the door.
So I took a sewing thread (strong, polyester type), simply tied it to the wingnut and then put a small drop of glue.

Now the nut can be hanged in a safe way!
And masking tape keeps it from falling and at the right height.

With a bit of effort in handling at the same time the speaker and the wingnut in the correct position (a third hand would be useful), I've been finally able to connect, put it in place and tight everything.
Here is the end result!
(right door. Cutting pictures instead were referred to left door)
Notice the hanging surplus thread (you can cut it like in picture and leave it behind the grill when putting everything back: it will be useful in case of removal) and an extra washer added between the screw head and the speaker mounting flap.
Front/bottom (in this picture, at the left) screw and hole, instead, are the orginal ones.

One more recommendation:
since you are hopefully not going to remove the speaker for a long time, right before mounting lubricate the window guides (they're still easily accessible, see very first picture)
I tried with PTFE-based spray but it's really too dry, window movement squealed. I finally got away nicely with spray graphite.
Last edited by theV on Sat May 15, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 10 times in total.

theV

Re: Front door speaker: water shield removal [HOW TO]

Postby theV » Sat May 15, 2010 2:41 pm

See the edited above post.

I wrote "tutorial" comments and linked all the pictures, for the braves (fools?) who want to d.i.y. and really don't dig the custom Pioneers.

Brownsome
Currently Drives:: 2003 Renault megane II 1.5 dCi

Re: Front speakers: water shield (depth limit) removal [HOW

Postby Brownsome » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:14 am

Iv got to say thats a very good tutorial mate, but too much messing about for my lazy self!
1.5 dCi megane II, 1600w vibe cbr 12" active evo.

TehSniper
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: megane 1.4 16v

Postby TehSniper » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:06 pm

when i installed my speakers, i didnt have to cut all of the water sheild away, just the back section that was stopping the magnet going right through so ive managed to maintain some protection there, but this is a very good tut

theV

Postby theV » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Brownsome wrote:too much messing about for my lazy self!

Haha I totally agree with you! I had a lot of time to waste when I did it! :-)
Thanks to all for your comments.
Btw the speakers are still performing great, I guess the key (even for those who might want to have it done professionally) is the alu tape+silicone treatment.

s88urd

Postby s88urd » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 am

I just used these bad boys:
http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/boom-mat-acoustical-products/speaker-baffles
If you order them, order the shallow ones :)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:30 pm

Respect for anyone who understands RMS and Xmax parameters! Thiele Small will give you more information, specifically, why you will not get good bass in a small room (such as a car).

As you might have realised, I know more about audio design than cars.

Great guide!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “ICE”