Line out converter to power a sub - help

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

beatmonkeytwo

Line out converter to power a sub - help

Postby beatmonkeytwo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:45 pm

Hey peeps. Has anyone used this setup on there megane? Using the rear speaker wires, connecting them to one of those wire converters to RCA leads? Opinions?

nickakamoby
Currently Drives:: Take delivery of my 'new' 2004 megane 1.9tdi 5 door on 23rd January 2010

Re: Line out converter to power a sub - help

Postby nickakamoby » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi mate, I have just finished installing a sub etc into my megane using standard head unit and an LLC, it works brilliantly and you now can't wipe the smile off my face!

I now have a standard looking interior with great sounding tunes. One way to get the rear speakers back is to run the RCA lead from the LLC into a crossover and then sending it out of there to an amp for your sub and another amp to run the rear speakers. I have done this and it has improved the way the speakers sound massively.

My next plan is to run another amp to the front speakers to boost the quality of them, will let you now how I get on and post photos when I get round to it.

If you're thinking about doing it its simple, there is a perfect little gap in the drivers footwell behind the cover just in front of the door for the LLC, I wrapped mine in bubble wrap and tucked it in there and it fitted like a charm. Just take your time and it will all be worth it.

If you want to know any more just give me a shout, i'm off to wake the neighbours!!

nickakamoby
Currently Drives:: Take delivery of my 'new' 2004 megane 1.9tdi 5 door on 23rd January 2010

Postby nickakamoby » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi mate, I have just finished installing a sub etc into my megane using standard head unit and an LLC, it works brilliantly and you now can't wipe the smile off my face!

I now have a standard looking interior with great sounding tunes. One way to get the rear speakers back is to run the RCA lead from the LLC into a crossover and then sending it out of there to an amp for your sub and another amp to run the rear speakers. I have done this and it has improved the way the speakers sound massively.

My next plan is to run another amp to the front speakers to boost the quality of them, will let you now how I get on and post photos when I get round to it.

If you're thinking about doing it its simple, there is a perfect little gap in the drivers footwell behind the cover just in front of the door for the LLC, I wrapped mine in bubble wrap and tucked it in there and it fitted like a charm. Just take your time and it will all be worth it.

If you want to know any more just give me a shout, i'm off to wake the neighbours!!

justpassing

Postby justpassing » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:53 pm

hey all,
this may be a really stupid question, but if i connect 1 of these converters to my rear speakers will the speakers themselves still work ????

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:53 pm

No you disconnect the rear speakers and send the signal to the converter instead.

As above you can send it 'back' to the rear speakers.

But all of this leads to horribly distorted sound. (some will argue, but if the signal has to go through all that kit to return to the rear speakers of course the timming will be out with the front), Well if time delay isn't set which cant be done through this 'standard' option.

So its a solution if you want the standard look and 'bang for buck' but not if you want any clarity to your music, which can work well given the megs 'sound stage'.

P

nickakamoby

Postby nickakamoby » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:15 pm

Ulrich is right, the rears need to be lost in order for the LLC to be connected, whatever you do make sure you dont splice into the speaker wire and leave the rears working as this will overload the head unit and do it damage in time.

As far as losing sound quality goes to be honest I have found no distortion and no problems with timing being out, lack of distortion may be due to the fact that I am running the signal through an amp before running it back to the rear speakers and therefore improving the quality of the signal before sending it back.

Another thing to bear in mind is that I have used decent quality cables and as few connections as possible throughout my install, this is very important as any cheap link will affect the quality of the sound.

As someone that has used this setup I highly recommend anyone giving it a go if they want to keep a factory head unit and get more bass than simply replacing the standard speakers, which doesnt add anywhere near as much thud as a boxed 12" sub!!

Not sure if there's anything else to add on this but I'd be happy to help if you have any other queries?
Nick

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:18 pm

ulrich100 wrote:But all of this leads to horribly distorted sound. (some will argue, but if the signal has to go through all that kit to return to the rear speakers of course the timming will be out with the front), Well if time delay isn't set which cant be done through this 'standard' option.

What time delay? Are you referring to inverted phasing? Does the kit in question have some latency (ie through DAC or similar)?
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

BigGing
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9dci 120bhp 5door

Postby BigGing » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:10 pm

I would be interested in seeing some photos etc and what loc you used? Also would these work with the standard in dash cd changer?
Anyone can be hero!

Return to “ICE”