2003 megane head unit conundrum

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

nickakamoby
Currently Drives:: Take delivery of my 'new' 2004 megane 1.9tdi 5 door on 23rd January 2010

2003 megane head unit conundrum

Postby nickakamoby » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:54 pm

Hi does anyone know if the head unit (I think its referred to as 'tuner list') has RCA outputs in order to run an amp? If there isn't can anyone advise on how to link up an amp for a subwoofer without losing a channel from the standard speakers?
I don't want to change the standard head unit as I have a cd mutilchanger in the dash and like how it looks/performs. I just need more bass!!
Thanks

Anthony
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 1.5 dci 100

Re: 2003 megane head unit conundrum

Postby Anthony » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:36 pm

nickakamoby wrote:Hi does anyone know if the head unit (I think its referred to as 'tuner list') has RCA outputs in order to run an amp? If there isn't can anyone advise on how to link up an amp for a subwoofer without losing a channel from the standard speakers?
I don't want to change the standard head unit as I have a cd mutilchanger in the dash and like how it looks/performs. I just need more bass!!
Thanks

Hi mate,

The standard HU doesn't have rca outputs. I think the basic way is to lose the rear speakers to an amp then if it's got enough channels you can run the standard rears and a subwoofer. If i'm wrong someone will correct me.
2005 1.5dci 100 Sport Hatch -Gone!

nickakamoby
Currently Drives:: Take delivery of my 'new' 2004 megane 1.9tdi 5 door on 23rd January 2010

Postby nickakamoby » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks Anthony,

though I am gutted I need to split the signal from the rears as its bound to affect quality. I'm going have a play with this and post back to let anyone that might consider doing the same thing.

Seems a waste to lose the steering column controls and a 6 disc changer to run an amp.

I don't pick the car up until tomorrow so will have a look then. Can't wait...

Thanks again

Anthony
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 1.5 dci 100

Postby Anthony » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:25 pm

nickakamoby wrote:Thanks Anthony,

though I am gutted I need to split the signal from the rears as its bound to affect quality. I'm going have a play with this and post back to let anyone that might consider doing the same thing.

Seems a waste to lose the steering column controls and a 6 disc changer to run an amp.

I don't pick the car up until tomorrow so will have a look then. Can't wait...

Thanks again

I was in the same position as you, just shy of the dash changer. I like the OE look with the original HU but the sound quality it produces is really poor, especially with the standard speakers. You can get some very good looking aftermarket HUs which are a synch to fit. Any half-decent unit will have the RCA outs and a connection for an aftermarket CD changer, so you could still have one it would just be in your boot or wherever.

As for the column controls you can get adapters for most well known stereo brands so the controls will still work with the aftermarket HU. They are usually about £30.
2005 1.5dci 100 Sport Hatch -Gone!

Return to “ICE”