Update List/Connect2 CTARNS003 Compatibility Issue

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

stuartrus
Currently Drives:: Oasis

Update List/Connect2 CTARNS003 Compatibility Issue

Postby stuartrus » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:36 am

Hello,

I'm new here, and joined to see if anyone had encountered the same issue as me. After a search of the ICE posts, it seems not, and so I thought I would post a message to see if someone could come to my aid.

I have a 55 Oasis with an Update List HU. I wanted to be able to listen to my MP3 player via the HU, but as you probably know, the Update List HU doesn't have a suitable 3.5mm jack input to enable me to simply plug my MP3 player in.

After searching the web, I came to the conclusion that the part I needed was made by Connects2 - specifically the CTARNS003 device. This is designed to allow any audio device to be plugged into the back of the factory-fitted HU.

I paid a guy to come and install this, which he duly did, plugging it into the CD changer port on the back of the HU. Unfortunately, however, this was not been successful, as the device does not appear on the list of sources available i.e. FM, CD, LW, and MW. In a nutshell, the stereo is not recognizing the input from the newly installed bit of kit. The man who put the device in told me this is because it's a Renault, and that I would need to visit a Renault dealer and have the stereo configured to allow the CD changer interface - specifically, the ECU/BSi needed to be configured.

Accordingly, I visited my local Renault dealership. The guy who dealt with me seemed to think that the HU should automatically recognize anything plugged into the CD changer port, and if it didn't, it wasn't an issue with the HU, but rather with the CTARNS003 unit. My talk of having the HU configured to recognize the CD changer interface seemed not to ring any bells with him. He rather gave me the impression that as it wasn't a Renault part, he probably wouldn't be able to help me, and that I didn't know what I was talking about.

As such, he is dead right - I don’t know what I’m talking about. However, he admitted that he wasn’t the audio expert in the dealership (who was on holiday). Furthermore, the dealership doesn’t fill me with confidence, and, if I’m honest, such is my lack of faith that I wouldn’t regard their word as gospel.

So, can anyone tell me whether if I plug a Connects CTARNS003 into the back of an Update List HU it should work or not? Should it automatically be recognized as a new input source? Is it possible to configure the head unit to allow CD changer interface?

Any reply would be gratefully received, even if it is only to express sympathy. I am becoming somewhat obsessed.

Thanks in advance.

ace
Passed Theory

Re: Update List/Connect2 CTARNS003 Compatibility Issue

Postby ace » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:04 pm

I think that CD changer should be recognized automatically, but this isn't your case.
As I am aware, the input acts as AUX-in (if CD changer isn't connected). You should go to expert mode and enable AUX-in.

If this wouldn't work, I think something must be faulty.

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Postby Toodeep » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:21 pm

I don't have an Update List (or Tuner List which is probably the same in this particular respect) so this is not from experience but from memory you have to press a button with a music note on it until it beeps. This takes you into Expert Mode as discussed by ace in the previous post (or maybe you have to scroll to Expert Mode from here). Then scroll to AUX(IN) and enable it. A professional installer should really have been familiar with Expert Mode on Renaults. The Renault dealers excuse is no excuse as it's a routine user configurable item and should be referred to in your audio handbook.

I'm not sure about the compatability of the Conect2 device (you presumably checked this prior to purchase) nor why Renault consider this layer of complication necessary. Someone else may come up with an answer.

stuartrus

Postby stuartrus » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:13 am

ace wrote:I think that CD changer should be recognized automatically, but this isn't your case.
As I am aware, the input acts as AUX-in (if CD changer isn't connected). You should go to expert mode and enable AUX-in.

If this wouldn't work, I think something must be faulty.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply – I appreciate it. I had enabled AUX-in in Expert mode, but this wasn’t successful.

I think you’re right - I have a faulty piece of hardware somewhere. It’s probably the Connects2 device.

Thanks for trying.

stuartrus

Postby stuartrus » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:23 am

Toodeep wrote:I don't have an Update List (or Tuner List which is probably the same in this particular respect) so this is not from experience but from memory you have to press a button with a music note on it until it beeps. This takes you into Expert Mode as discussed by ace in the previous post (or maybe you have to scroll to Expert Mode from here). Then scroll to AUX(IN) and enable it. A professional installer should really have been familiar with Expert Mode on Renaults. The Renault dealers excuse is no excuse as it's a routine user configurable item and should be referred to in your audio handbook.

I'm not sure about the compatability of the Conect2 device (you presumably checked this prior to purchase) nor why Renault consider this layer of complication necessary. Someone else may come up with an answer.

Thanks for the reply…it’s appreciated. As I said in response to ace, enabling AUX-in did not work.

Its probably back to the drawing board with this one. However, this forum has been more helpful that my dealership, and reading some of the posts on other topics has given me the knowledge to save me a lot of money in future.

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:41 am

Looks like the CTARNS003 is designed to interface between the Head Unit (UpdateList and its VDO digital protocol - S/PDIF format audio) and a Sony CD-Changer. If you are not connecting it to a Sony CD-Changer, or anything that talks the same protocol, then it won't work. It depends on what you're connecting it to as to what you need to buy.

With my Dension Ice>Link, it was a case of plugging it in and the HU recognised it. (After I had got the Renault/VDO lead and upgraded the firmware as before I used in in a Pug307 that had a Sony lead and a Connects2 box to talk to the Clarion HU).

If you want more advice as to what to buy, just say what device you want to connect up and whether you need control & power (which some mp3 players support - I know iPods do), or just an aux connection. BTW, the Update list has an aux connection on the back, you just need the right cable.
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

stuartrus

Postby stuartrus » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:45 pm

Gav wrote:Looks like the CTARNS003 is designed to interface between the Head Unit (UpdateList and its VDO digital protocol - S/PDIF format audio) and a Sony CD-Changer. If you are not connecting it to a Sony CD-Changer, or anything that talks the same protocol, then it won't work. It depends on what you're connecting it to as to what you need to buy.

With my Dension Ice>Link, it was a case of plugging it in and the HU recognised it. (After I had got the Renault/VDO lead and upgraded the firmware as before I used in in a Pug307 that had a Sony lead and a Connects2 box to talk to the Clarion HU).

If you want more advice as to what to buy, just say what device you want to connect up and whether you need control & power (which some mp3 players support - I know iPods do), or just an aux connection. BTW, the Update list has an aux connection on the back, you just need the right cable.

Hello Gav,

Thanks for the reply. I have to confess that I didn’t know that there was so much to consider – digital protocols and the like are not really part of my lexicon.

The devices I want to connect are both MP3 players – my Creative Zen, and my girlfriend’s iPod (though not both at once, naturally) via their 3.5mm jacks. I don’t need power and control in either case – they’ve both got good enough battery lives to make power irrelevant, and I’m happy enough to just select a playlist and then just leave it to get on with it. Accordingly, I’m simply after an AUX connection. (The only other requirement I have was that it does not require stop me using the stalk controls with the existing functions i.e. the CD and radio).

Any advice you can give me on what the right cable is and who manufactures it would be gratefully received.

Thanks again.

navid.v
Rally Driver

Postby navid.v » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:20 am

hi there,I don't know if you have managed to sort your issue out or not yet,but I think the right cable from Connects2 is CTARNIPOD003;I had this in my Megane and it always worked fine,then after exchanging the Megane for Clio,I just installed it in the new car and works fine there as well.

hope this helps.
Current Car:BMW Z4 2.5 SE 04,Renault Clio Dynamique S 1.2 TCE 58 ;Previous Car:Megane II Sports Hatch 55 Reg Ottoman Blue 1.6 VVT

roband69

Postby roband69 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:42 pm

hi there i don't know if you have sorted your problem yet but all i did was purchase a connector with a green iso plug on it and plugged into the back of head unit(update list).
This worked straight away.(with expert settings aux in turned on)
Alternatively i have for sale an original update list stereo for sale that plays mp3 discs (special edition only available with the maxim megane range) that i have since replaced with a high end model.
no adapters needed no loss of stalk controls no loss of display and also the added 3.5mm jack plug input.
if you are interested my email is robandrew69@aol.co.uk.

Return to “ICE”