Alternative Speakers

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

westy26
Currently Drives:: Focus STaloon and the Wifes Megane 1.6 Dynamique

Alternative Speakers

Postby westy26 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:08 pm

I have done a search but not really found what I am looking for...so....

Wife has an 03 Megane as per my avatar. She has been complaining the speakers are pants and one of them has stopped working altogether.

I am looking for a fairly cheap set of speakers and wondered what others are out there apart from the Pioneer TS-Q131C's as they are a little bit out of our price range. (There is a credit crunch on ya know...)

AFAIK there are 4 speakers and 2 tweeters, removal might be a pain of the rears but having replaced a window regulator before Ithink I can manage it.

Any tips would be hugely welcomed. :grin
Outside lane hoggers should be shot!!

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Re: Alternative Speakers

Postby ICEMAN » Sat May 16, 2009 11:51 pm

you need to look into getting a component set. But what is your budget. The items anyone gets ALWAYS depends on ones budget.

the pioneers (as you will know) are a direct replacemnt. However other speakers will fit, but you have to check their mounting depth (the total depth of the speaker) so it fits.
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

westy26

Postby westy26 » Sun May 17, 2009 12:52 pm

Thanks Iceman

My budget is less than £100, like I may of said it really is not going to be for a sound off...LOL Just to replace some really awful / non working speakers that are there at the moment.

Would speakers with built in tweeters replace the set up I have? Or do I need to buy seperate tweeters and speakers??

What is the max depth I could go?

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver

Postby ICEMAN » Wed May 20, 2009 2:52 pm

the original speakers are a component set so ideally you would replace like for like. but if you want to you can install coaxial speakers it will be ok. just bare in mind when you do, your original tweeter wire will be bare - make sure you tape these or remove these.
I would recommend components in the front and coaxial in the back (not amped) this will give you an all round great sound. quality up front for you/driver and infill for any passengers.

with £100 you can get plenty of great speaker. I just got my friend a JL component set for £65 +p&p brand new. just got to keep your eyes peeled.

REMEMBER, it not what other people say your sound is suppose to be like, its what you like in your sound. So I it sounds good to you...that's all you need to hear.
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

westy26

Postby westy26 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks ICEMAN

Would you know the max depth of speaker I can go Front and Back?

Really appreciate the tips.

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver

Postby ICEMAN » Thu May 21, 2009 2:12 pm

sorry dude, i cant rememebr the depth...

think it will be less then 70mm is max...but check this*

* take out the speaker and check the dim from inside edge of the rain deflector to the lip where the screw goes in

westy26

Postby westy26 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:40 pm

Ok cool

I have a number of options...
Rear - Coaxials
Pioneer - TS G1302i
Fusion FR52520
Fli Integrator5
Alpine SXE-1325S

Fronts - Components
Pioneers TS-G131C
Fusion CM5250
Fli Comp5
Alpin SXE-1350S

I have tried to match the front and rears as close a power and spec as possible so effectively they match. All been done on the Car Audio Direct website and probably will cost no more that £65 for a set.

What are your thoughts on the brands and speakers?

Thanks

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver

Postby ICEMAN » Tue May 26, 2009 9:19 am

All seem to be a good all-round. as ive said before, its what you seem to be "good sounding" speakers you should go for. take this list to a local car audio shop and ask for a sample for these...some will omit a higher sound and some a duller sound. e.g I like Hertz, but some would say they're sound is too sharp...
for the Rear i would say tge Fusion, as ive hear these and they are good.

are you planning to amp these?? or just run them from your HU?

Return to “ICE”