Update List and CD Changer

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

ace
Passed Theory

Update List and CD Changer

Postby ace » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:26 pm

Hi!

I am new on the forums! I found some useful advise on them. I have a Megane II, march 2006, 1.6 16V... I tried to search for my "problem", but couldn't find a definite answer.
My question is:
Can I hook up an original in dash 6 CD changer (from renault) on my HU (Tuner list)? The HU is the first radio for this car. So it was produced in the beginning of 2006. My unit looks like this:
I have these connections on my HU:
I would like to hook up this changer:
eBay
Thank you!

Nejc from Slovenia

renier
Pass Plus

Re: Update List and CD Changer

Postby renier » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:53 pm

If your Megane is from 2006, you will probably have the Updatelist instead of the Tunerlist radio (The model is listed on the radio front)?
It seems so on your picture to be an UPdatelist anyway.

But in fact this doesn't matter for the answer to your question as you can connect the original in dash changer to both radio models.
I think that the changer has a security code just like the radio, so if you buy a scondhand changer, you should ask for the code ;-)
Megane II 5D-Hatch 2003 * 2.0 16V Autom. Dynamique * Gris Boreal
17" Steppe * Leather * RS front grilles
Xenon + 5LED side lights * Clear side indicators * Ph. 2 rear lights
Cabasse Tunerlist * Pioneer TS-Q131C/TS-E1396 * Ice>Link Plus + iPod

ace
Passed Theory

Postby ace » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Thank you!
You're right, it is an update list! I got this image from some site, and I wasn't completely sure what model I have.
I was confused because of so many connections on the back of HU.

Meanwhile I went to the local Renault dealer and he checked his database with my chasis number, if I can connect an original CD changer to my HU. And he said NO?!? He said that it would probably be the best, to buy a new HU with MP3 (not from Renault, but Alpine or similar). But I like the design of original unit, cause it blends in with the dash, so I am not interested in buying a new HU.

But I will trust you and buy a CD changer. I can always sell it on :)

One more question... I was also looking at Cabasse Auditorium tronic in dash 6 CD changer... But I think this unit needs a seperate amp/radio in the back of the car... Am I wrong? Or could I insert this unit in my car? What Cabasse unit would be the best to change to from my UpdateList?

Nejc

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:31 pm

I also like the clean look of the Renault radio so don't want an aftermarket radio. I did change the factory speakers for proper Pioneer onws, which makes a drastic improvement of the sound quality.

My advice from years of Renaut experience: don't go to the dealer for anything related to audio. In most cases they don't know what they are talking about or tell you things that are simply not true like in your case.

This is a pic of your updatelist radio with the 6CD changer (beige color is from the privilige model), but you can also check this in the official Megane brochure yourself

Here you can see some pics of the iPod connection if you're interested.
In fact, I used to have an MP3 CD hanger connected to the radio years before I switched to the iPod. It has a massive storage facillity, where with a cd changer (even a model with MP3 capability), your limited to only 6 cd's.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6127

The Cabasse Auditorium tronic system is something completely else, it is indeed composed of 2 parts:
1) in dash cd changer unit which also controles the Tuner
2) separate amplifier/tuner unit located in the boot of the car, which has also the connections to the speakers, power, etc. There is a long cable connecting the in dash unit to the boot unit

The system can be installed afterwards, but you will need both units and the cable and all components are not cheap (they can be found on eBay though sometimes).
In addition, as you have the standard radio, your connections for speakers and power are now in the dash, and with the Cabasse Auditorium troninc, obviously, they have to be lengthed to the boot of the car.

I looked at installing this system thogh, as I really like the look of the system and the sound it gives compared to the standard Tunerlist/Updatelist radio.
But I wanted to connect my iPod using the Dension Ice>Link Plus interface to the radio and this is not compatible with the Cabasse Auditorium tronic system.
The Renault ipod/USB interface "Audio connection Box" is also not compatible with it, so it wasn't an option anymore for me.

Instead I bought a second hand Tunerlist Cabasse radio from an old model Laguna (also found in the Clio II RS).
As it is basically a Tunerlist with a little bit more power (4X30 watt instead of 4X15 watt) than the standard Tunerlist radio, I can still use the steering wheel controls and use my iPod with it. There is also a Cabasse Updatelist version.
Last edited by renier on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:33 pm

freddymercurystwin wrote:Apologies for hijacking the thread but I thought you need a log book and serial number on the changer to match up in order to get the code from Renault. How do one get round this? Use an online service other than the dealer?

I don't know about the code for the factory changer, only that it has to be activated with a code.
I think when the cd changer was is factory instaled, the code is the same as the radio.

But do a quick search on the ICE section of the forum, I'me sure it is pposted before.

ace
Passed Theory

Postby ace » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Thank you very much renier!
You gave me all information I need. I was considering iPod firstly, but then for no reason abandoned it. Maybe because I think of my iPod as a player for headphones only...

MP3 CDs are not quite my thing. You must navigate through all the folders, or have an unorganized music library in one or two folders. So a CD changer is a middle path to go.

I think I will not put myself in rewiring all the system to put the 6 CD Cabasse changer in. Maybe I will buy a Cabase UpdateList later.
And maybe some new speakers... Did you maybe have your speakers with the original radio? How did they play? Or are they underfed with 4x15W?

Thanks!

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:26 pm

No, I would definitely as a first step upgrade to proper speakers, also with the factory Updatelist player.
This standard radio is not as bad as many people say, it's mainly the speakers that are the weak part and you can upgrade the radio at a later stage if you want so.

I was impressed with the sound improvement from the simple upgrade to the Cabasse Tunerlist, which is widely available on eBay, etc. It's a straight swap with the factory radio, only you need a fascia to fill up the gap around the radio front (the Cabasse radio has a standard DIN front, the Megane radio front is slightly bigger)

Luckily I just discovered that there is an Updatelist version of this radio also (saw it on eBay a few weeks ago), so if I'me trading in my Megane for a Scenic II phase 2 next year, I know what the first thing is I will be looking for :wink:
Last edited by renier on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Passed Theory

Postby ace » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks!
First, I will add the CD changer to my system. The next step will be to change the speakers. I thinks I will go withe the Pioneers, since many people on these forums say, they are good. So same speakers must be good for me.
The only problem is, that I must buy them abroad (Germany, UK...), since our dealers are mad with their prices. The full set for my car, would cost me about 230€ here in Slovenia. :evil:

I am looking at TS-Q131C's for fronts, and I can't decide between TS-E1376's and TS-E1396's for the back. Is there any fitting (cutting) needed for these speakers, since I would like to put them in the same place, as the originals are.

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:47 pm

TS-Q131C is a very good choice and plug and play.

For the back, I've got the TS-E1396 (3-way), but if I would make the choice again, would now go for the slightly cheaper TS-E1376 (2-way), as you would probably not hear any difference.

As the main sound is coming from the front speakers.

You can fit both TS-E1396 or 1376 without any cutting, it's a direct swap with the factory speakers. There is an extensive how-to on the forum with pics to install the speakers yourself..

ace
Passed Theory

Postby ace » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:03 pm

I don't really know if I found the right how to...
Did you mean "Rear speaker removal tutorial - 3 door"?
All in all I think that replacing speakers should not be a hard job :) . I hope I can do it by myself.
Just a trivial question... Are there any cables atached to the Pioneers , or do I have to solder them?

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:55 am

Yes, that's the one for the 3-door and here it is for the 5 door:

https://www.ray-lee.co.uk/megane/PDF/Rea ... pgrade.pdf

The TS-Q131C is plug and play with Renault speaker connectors.

The TS-E1376/1396 like any other car speaker in fact has no wires connected, but it is very simpel to wire them up.

I agree: It should be easy and not much work to change the speakers in any car, but Renault obviously has a different opinion, at least when it comes to the megane II (in My Twingo it was a 1 min job) :D

ace
Passed Theory

Postby ace » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:47 pm

Thank you again renier! If I was in England I would definetly buy you a beer! :D

I think, that I am fully informed, so I can start my buying process!

busternlouie
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: '05' Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby busternlouie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:08 am

ace wrote:Thank you again renier! If I was in England I would definetly buy you a beer! :D

:lol:
2005 Megane Sporthatch 2.0 VVT Dynamique Extreme Blue

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:25 am

You can still buy me a beer :D :D

ace
Passed Theory

Postby ace » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:18 am

Sorry! Didn't see that.
Anyway... the problem is still the same. :) We are not in the same country.
But I can give you a digital beer. :cool:

Return to “ICE”