Changing head light bulb in pics

FAQ and Tips and tricks relating to various problems.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

elninho
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane, 2004, 1.5dci, Station Wagon

Re: Changing head light bulb in pics

Postby elninho » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:17 pm

I have managed to change passenger seat headlight bulb in 10-15minutes with bare hands. The driver's side is more difficult to change, maybe you need to take out the battery to avoid taking the front weal of. I am here for advices on "how to..." for the passenger side bulb, though :)

Toosh
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 1.9 dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch in Black.
Nervasport alloys, Comfort Pack, Full Leather interior, 6 Disc CD Changer,
Panoramic Roof, and loads more stuff.

Postby Toosh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:38 pm

I did the driver side yesterday. What a ball ache that was, really is much harder doing it with your left hand.
Black 03 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch. Gone but not forgotten.
Black 56 Pug 207 GT 1.6 Turbo

adele.miller
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Priviledge 1.9 tdi diesel 120

Postby adele.miller » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Just thought id give myself a pat on the back ha. I am a girl and ive just managed to change the headlight bulbs all by myself :D

Quite pleased with myself! This is a really good site for any megane owner and i will be recomending it to anyone i know who has one.

Took me a while to get the 1st one started as i was finding my bearings and figuring out what i was feeling for but one i realised where everything was, done both bulbs in a matter of 5 mins.

I would encourage any1 to have a go 1st rather than payin stupid prices out for a dealer.

PS. didnt have to take the wheels off ;)

colbarnett
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Honda Accord Tourer Sport 2.2 Diesel

Postby colbarnett » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Well done, I'd fine it hard to do it in that time, but maybe having smaller hands helps, i will have to teach the wife to do her own from now on. :D

elninho
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane, 2004, 1.5dci, Station Wagon

Postby elninho » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:07 am

I don't think you can change bulb on the driver's seat in 5 minutes, no mater how small your hand is since you need to take out the battery in order to access the bulb. Post a clip where you do it in 5 and I will buy you 1Kg of chocolate :)

Anthony
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 1.5 dci 100

Postby Anthony » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:35 am

elninho wrote:I don't think you can change bulb on the driver's seat in 5 minutes, no mater how small your hand is since you need to take out the battery in order to access the bulb. Post a clip where you do it in 5 and I will buy you 1Kg of chocolate :)

The battery is on the passenger side for us in the UK, and you don't need to take it out for either bulb.
2005 1.5dci 100 Sport Hatch -Gone!

fatbloke61
Currently Drives:: Renault Megan II Estate

Postby fatbloke61 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:19 pm

That all looks very straightforward, what about Xenon bulbs?

bevis
Currently Drives:: Megane II

Postby bevis » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:44 pm

Great advice on the bulb changing.After struggling for an eternity we got the bulb on the drivers side changed and working. Sadly on testing everything we then found that the indicator on that side had stopped working. After removing the top cover and peering in with a torch I noticed there was a detatched black wire that obviously goes somewhere into that bit of wiring I was struggling around. Anyone have any ideas as to where ?

megane77bulb

Postby megane77bulb » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:59 am

Does anyone know where the metal clip that holds the bulb in place goes? when i was taking the bulb out the metal clip that holds it in place, that you have to lift up, has fallen out of where it sits and now the bulb just jiggles around when driving. I cannot see anywhere that this little clip goes? :(

gprice
Currently Drives:: Megane Coupe 110

Postby gprice » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:37 pm

What happened to the good old days when things were simple. Oh well I suppose its a small price to pay when the cars drive so good

CobraDMX
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane GT 2.0dCi

Postby CobraDMX » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:22 pm

I find it easier to remove the bumper. I have had the misfortune of having blown four headlight bulbs in the past six months, and eventually put the car back to the dealer to be checked out. They couldn't find anything wrong with the electronics, and so I provided a set of (expensive) bulbs and asked if they'd fit them for me, just to see if it was anything I was doing. Unfortunately, they botched the fitting - one bulb wasn't clipped in and smashed, and the other had a big greasy smear on it.

I resorted to taking the bumper off my car to let me do the job properly. It was actually very easy - you undo the two screws in each wheel arch, the three under the car itself (by the big plastic bit of the bumper) and the line of plastic clips along the inside of the bonnet at the front. Ten minutes later and I had the bumper off. The headlights are also easy - they have one screw on top and two facing you as you look directly at the headlamp, underneath the unit itself. Reattaching the bumper is a little more tricky but easy enough, especially if you have a friend to help you.

Anyway, I have two bulbs installed which are completely "sterile", in newly-cleaned headlamp units. We'll see how long it lasts.

Now, to the useful part of my post: folk are talking about clips for the bulbs. There aren't any that I can see except the big brass-coloured thing - once the bulb clips in there it is held securely. It just pushes in and pulls out. If you're trying to change the bulb through the wheel arch, avoid smashing a bulb by checking that the bulb is firmly held in place.

Picture for reference so you can kind of see the "clip" (and the remains of an expensive bulb only a few hours after being fitted by the dealer). If I have my headlights off again I'll take better pictures and put them up here for reference.

https://www.freeimagehosting.net/26346

pfeek114
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane MK2 1.5 DCI

Postby pfeek114 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:47 pm

Am i the only person who has managed to change both headlights under the bonnet without even having to access the wheel arches
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow.........No Smoke, No Poke

almcgrail
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane II tourer 130

Postby almcgrail » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:59 pm

pfeek114 wrote:Am i the only person who has managed to change both headlights under the bonnet without even having to access the wheel arches

did my first offside bulb from the access panel under the arch but replaced side light from above just twisting the washer bottle neck a bit. 15 mins to do both! :D

pfeek114
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane MK2 1.5 DCI

Postby pfeek114 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:06 am

^^^^ here here

annoyingly ive just discovered that i havent got a battery top cover in my car so access to passenger side was easy, although i did remove the air filter inlet pipe in order to fit my HIDs, this isnt required for plain bulbs

as 'almcgrail' said, twist and pull the washer bottle neck out of the way for access to the drivers side, little bit more tricky because of the bottle holder clip making it a tight fit, but still simple, for HID i did have to remove the top plastic so i could see a bit more as i said, it is a tight fit. I did remove the engine cover so i could lower my arm enough to work without trying to bend my wrist back on itself putting the bulbs in

i would like to change the fog bulbs aswell but thats a different matter
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow.........No Smoke, No Poke

welshboy
Currently Drives:: Renault megane 1.5dci

Postby welshboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:33 pm

£4.50 inc bulb at w.r's in welshpool to have a front light bulb replaced

Return to “FAQ / Tips & Tricks”