Changing head light bulb in pics

FAQ and Tips and tricks relating to various problems.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

eddiemcgarrigle
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.9 DCi

Re: Changing head light bulb in pics

Postby eddiemcgarrigle » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:28 pm

My nearside main decided to fade two days before the MOT was due. No probs, off I went to Halfords and bought two bulbs (2 for 1) and proceeded to ask for the £5 fitting offer. I was duly informed by the spotty assistant that they didn't change any bulbs that are 'awkward'. Oh well, round the corner to Kwik-Fit to see if they would hep but after being quoted £45 per bulb I quickly left. I then phoned the Renault dealer where I got my car only to be quoted £100 + labour to remove the bumper and fit the bulbs. Sod that I thought and proceeded to give it a go myself.

The only thing I struggled with was the placement of the retaining clip which I had accidently taken off. I finally figured out how to put the clip back on with the aid of a small mirror and my halogen bike light. Yes, it is awkward and caused me to almost rip all the skin off my forearm and take me two hours I know what I'm doing now and it'll be a five minute job next time.
55 Plate Dynamique Pearl Black 1.9 DCi, 130 bhp

FairyBurst
Currently Drives:: 2007 Renault Megane GT

Postby FairyBurst » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:27 am

Hi,

I wish I had found this forum a few months ago! Like many other people have already commented; this can be done without removing the wheel - however it will depend on you! If you have large hands/forearms then you will indeed need to remove the wheel.

Great post thought :)

FB

briantum
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.6vvt

Postby briantum » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:38 pm

My passenger side indicator bulbs have just gone, is it any different/harder to replace than the headlamp? i replaced my headlamp bulb last year and it took me 2 hours so not looking forward to replace them if its even harder. thanks in advance

sutty86
Currently Drives:: Mondeo 2.0 ghia Petrol

Postby sutty86 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:42 pm

:eek My thumb is in BITS,

spent a good 30minutes on the driver side and thought this is impossiblie so attempted to see if it was possible on the passengers, side
guess what ,
took less than two minutes to replace , pure fluke though,

there must be some knack to the clip, as i said my thumb is absolutly killing me,
on the drivers side theres loads of obstructions

P.S b
ht some cheap nightbreakers off ebay so atm ive only replaced one until light shines tomorrow, but the bulbs i replaced were infact the same make and brand bulbs abit gutted.... :D

sutty86
Currently Drives:: Mondeo 2.0 ghia Petrol

Postby sutty86 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:31 pm

Halfords today fitted mine 5.99

kornnut106
Learner Driver

Postby kornnut106 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:14 pm

what is the upc my cover is lost and have noticed my cars lights are flickering and running bad and ive been through a few large puddels etc

tallpaul wrote:the other side you can do from the top! bizarre frenchies!

make sure that cover is fastened real tight. UPC is behind that.

sum-megane

Postby sum-megane » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:06 pm

bucky wrote:Hi All

My dipped blub has gone and I have found this post very useful and will have a go at changing it tomorrow. I have a question though, in the pic you can see from the front the blub just looks like a normal H7 however from the front of mine the dipped blub looks like a huge blub more like the size of a golf ball and its frosted. It is a 57 plate cc and as far as I know it I have normal lights on it I never paid for an upgrade. If anyone else knows they have normal headlights ( I mean not Xenon) please could they check to see if theirs looks how I discribe?

Thanks
Colin

Hi Guys, Hope someone can help me. I got December 2006 megane. As said by Collin, the dipped bulb looks a huge bulb more like the size of the golf ball and its frosted. Nothing wrong with the lights, working fine. The problem is the light is too dim. Without street lights I have to switch on my fog lamps. Any suggestions? Can you please tell me are they Xenon or simple halogens? Do I need to change the bulbs....

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Postby tallpaul » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:42 pm

kornnut106 wrote:what is the upc my cover is lost and have noticed my cars lights are flickering and running bad and ive been through a few large puddels etc

tallpaul wrote:the other side you can do from the top! bizarre frenchies!

make sure that cover is fastened real tight. UPC is behind that.

The UPC is a fusebox, you may need it replacing, its not a cheap job. buy a cover ASAP.
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

colin1849
Currently Drives:: megane 2 1.9 dci privelege

Postby colin1849 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:57 am

I have got the xenon lights, to change the bulb (which they say only the garage can do) you do need to remove the bumper and the headlight. The bulb cost me £83. However this still does not work. Any ideas, NS ok os does not work swapped bulbs etc.

saljay
Currently Drives:: 53 megane privelege auto 1600

Postby saljay » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:33 pm

many thanks this is just what we were looking for :D

Toosh
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 1.9 dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch in Black.
Nervasport alloys, Comfort Pack, Full Leather interior, 6 Disc CD Changer,
Panoramic Roof, and loads more stuff.

Postby Toosh » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:59 pm

saljay wrote:many thanks this is just what we were looking for :D

Black 03 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch. Gone but not forgotten.
Black 56 Pug 207 GT 1.6 Turbo

brandy
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II

Postby brandy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks for this info. Just for the record, I had the driver's side head lamp (left side) changed today at a garage in Italy.
Here's how the mechanic did it:
- Turned the wheel inwards completely and unscrewed the access cover in the wheel arch with his right hand.
- Unscrewed the inner black plastic cover from the headlamp and extracted it with the aid of his left hand from above the engine.
- Took out the old bulb and replaced it with some difficulty. He did not take off the wires.
- Put back the two covers
He was wearing latex gloves for the job and did it partly with his right hand from below and partly with his
left hand from above, but all without being able to see what he was doing. He was in a crouching position and so
could use both hands simultaneously to do the job. It took about 15 minutes and cost 15€.
I would not recommend it at all for a non-expert however.

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:10 am

golfoscarbravo
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5l diesel estate

Postby golfoscarbravo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:00 pm

Maybe my megane estate (54 plate) is a bit different, but the problem I had was trying to replace the small wire clip that holds the bulb in place. It must have been on the other side, but I could get my hand in to replace the bulb, but could not feel and see at the same time to replace the d*mn wire clip. Took me 30 minutes of cursing !!!!

Toosh
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 1.9 dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch in Black.
Nervasport alloys, Comfort Pack, Full Leather interior, 6 Disc CD Changer,
Panoramic Roof, and loads more stuff.

Postby Toosh » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:49 pm

Dont say that, ive got the driverside to do this weekend :cry
Black 03 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch. Gone but not forgotten.
Black 56 Pug 207 GT 1.6 Turbo

Return to “FAQ / Tips & Tricks”