Hi

Introduce yourself and let us know a bit about you and your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

stevieb6
Currently Drives:: 2003 megane fidji convertible

Hi

Postby stevieb6 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:27 pm

Good evening everyone and thank you for letting me join your group. I had a megane many years ago but sold it on as I wanted a mgf but that is no longer practical so I have recently bought a 2003 megane fidji 1.6 convertible and I love it. It isnt however without its problems so I will be asking advice (sorry in advance). If I am honest I know nothing about working on cars but I am willing to learn with your help if thats ok as I cant see the point of throwing money away to a garage if its a simple job that I could carry out myself. All the best and thanks again. Steve (Bus driver from Nottingham)

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: Hi

Postby Stranger » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Hello Steve and welcome along :-)
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Postby freelanderuk » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:53 am

Hi and welcome
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:04 pm

Hi Steve,

They are good cars, but you might need to know how to avoid a few "standard" faults in order to enjoy them. Start with checking the hatch cover on the front left wheel arch cover. If gone, it will take out the protection and switching unit. Then change the oil plus oil filter, as you never know what they used before. These cars are very sensitive to oil. Use only fully synthetic oils (MB229.5 is good) and OEM filters, ask for details. Change the brake fluid to DOT5.1, this will extend the life of all hydraulics. If the battery is weak, which is usually discovered in winter, the best replacement is Bosch S5 from Bosch web site. Do not be tempted to jump start more than once, just replace the battery. Use only Osram bulbs from the web, replace all frequently used bulbs in one go with the bumper removed. Use the dielectric PFPE grease on ignition coils, don't use silicone grease. The UK garages usually skip this, which causes failures of ignition coils in almost 100% of cars! Vacuum clean under the driver's seat, spray the airbag connector and the seat position sensor with WD40. Use only Bosch aerotwin wiper blades bought on the web, the other makes judder and do not serve long.

Finally, locate the factory repair manuals in the sticky thread in Problems forum. They may answer many questions better than any of us.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

stevieb6
Currently Drives:: 2003 megane fidji convertible

Postby stevieb6 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:26 pm

Thank you all for the welcome and the information

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:38 am