Hello from a new Megane owner

Introduce yourself and let us know a bit about you and your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

MickProcter
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.9 DCi, 130 FAP, Vauxhall Combo 1.3 CDTI & JCB 3CX

Hello from a new Megane owner

Postby MickProcter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Hello, I am the new owner of a 55 reg Megane, this is one of the sites I came across whilst doing research.

The megane I bought had a snapped cam belt, and the engine had been half stripped, (but it was cheap) so I got a car with 3 cardboard boxes full of engine in the boot. The car was in great condition, so I got to work getting the engine block out, I was advised that I could split the engine and gearbox and leave the gear box in place. Once I got the front of the car off and removed the loom and pipework, it looked easier to just pull the engine and gearbox out in one lump, I was right the lump came out really easily.

I contacted an ebay seller who was advertising reconditioned engines at a good price, and travelled down to Birmingham with my old engine block and 3 cardboard boxes of bits. The ebay seller helped identify some of the bits and we swapped most of the bits onto the re-con engine, he also sorted a brand new cambelt kit with water pump, and advised me on the DMF which I thought didn't look too good. There was play back and forth and also in and out with the added bonus of a clunk. The ebay seller sorted me out with a solid fly wheel conversion and a new 3 piece clutch kit. I also needed to source a camshaft sprocket and a crankshaft pulley, I got them from the local breakers and got to work rebuilding.

When I had finished I was short of a map sensor and a CAT, but I still ran the car up without them, I had one fuel leak (slack injector pipe) and one water leak (forgot to put the spring clamp on). After I was satisfied I put the body work back together and waited for a map sensor and CAT to turn up, (The CATs are square ones that can't be sourced aftermarket) The local Renault breaker got one in 5 days later, I was sorted.
I had 2 small brackets left over, I still can't figure out where they go, they seem to be for holding cables or pipes.

I took the car for a gentle run down the motorway for 20 minutes, then turned around and came home. The following morning I looked under the car for puddles, there were non. I pulled the bonnet cable so I could check the fluid levels, nothing happened, my heart sank. I knew exactly what had happened, where the cables join on the slam panel, the plastic clip was broken at the top, but I checked the front clip, and it was well connected so I thought it would be OK. The ball had jumped out of it's connector. After a bit of thought I figured out how I might get into the engine bay, my idea was good, so I was well chuffed.

The next problem to sort out was the passenger door window, probably the little black box (according to the internet) so off the the breakers, non of them wanted to strip a good door down, I eventually got one out of a door that was damaged, The breaker yard owner said the regulator was different, and I should take whole lot. I unscrewed the 3 cross head screws and wire cables went everywhere. I got the motor and regulator to the office the yard owner he said he meant take the whole winder mechanism not just the motor, because I'll never be able to put the cables back on without stripping the winder mechanism out of my door.

I removed the door panel on my car, well not really removed just pulled it out a bit, and the winder motor was indeed different, mine had the rectangular regulator held on with one screw, the new one had the triangular regulator held on with 2 screws. plugged in the new motor to see if it worked, it did so I put the door back together with the old motor back in, and consulted the internet for inspiration. I came across some youtube videos regarding building up the runners and cables, and noticed that the plastic pulley on the motor, was not attached to the motor in the videos. I had a look at my new one and the pulley slid off with minimal pressure, which got me thinking, maybe I could split my motor and slide the pulley off without disturbing the cables. The following morning I thought I'd give it a go, there was nothing to lose so I went for it. I took out the 3 screws and kept the two parts together with my fingers, and with the aid of a small screwdriver, slowly prised off the pulley, whilst holding my breath. The wire cables stayed on the pulley and the motor was separated, my new motor slid straight in I built the door back up with a big smile on my face.

So I'll reply to a few of the old posts with what I have learned, maybe helping others.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Hello from a new Megane owner

Postby davelowe » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Ace! And, welcome!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: Hello from a new Megane owner

Postby Stranger » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:45 am

Good work Mick :tu and welcome along :-)
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Return to “Introductions”