hello

Introduce yourself and let us know a bit about you and your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

sharky-
Currently Drives:: megane II 2005 1.5dci

hello

Postby sharky- » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:08 pm

hi guys, great work on this really active forum!

I just purchased a July 2005 Megane II GT 1.5dci. I just wanted to tell you about the choices I went through (please note I'm living in the Netherlands). Main thing was I just wanted a nice family station for driving about 20k km/year which basically would give me the lowest total-cost-of-ownership so I scoured the web looking at people's findings on 3 different cars: the megane II GT, the ford focus station and the peugeot 307 'break' (since german/japanese cars went out the window due to their high initial cost). What I basically found was

- really, REALLY low pricing on relatively new renaults with quite some mileage (>150km)
- lots of people complaining about reliability of the megane II and laguna II, but on the other hand, some *real measurements* of reliability from the german ADAC (the people in germany that help you if you break down) showed that the megane outperforms both the ford and the peugeot on reliability,except for the 2003-built meganes. If you want to look at the stats, search for 'ADAC pannenstatistik' and try to read some german :)
- high mileage doesn't seem to affect the diesel's reliability as much as the price drop would seem to show

so, in the end I went for a 170km 2005 1.5dci for about 6k euro (sounds insane since it cost 25k euro when it was bought in 2005) since the 2-3k of euro's I'm saving there would probably not be offset by repairs on the same car, not to mention the outrageous mpg you get on the 1.5dci (coming from a VW Polo petrol the costs per km are more than halved).

time will tell if I made a good choice there, but I'm prepared to shell out the 1k euro each year for repairs, etc.

cheers,
Steve

sharky-
Currently Drives:: megane II 2005 1.5dci

Re: hello

Postby sharky- » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:20 pm

Here are the stats I looked at
http://www.adac.de/Auto_Motorrad/pannenstatistik_maengelforum/pannenstatistik_2008/tab.asp?ComponentID=250016&SourcePageID=250114

the numbers are the number of breakdowns the ADAC serviced in 2008 for every 1000 cars of that type on the german roads. The year numbers are the build years of the cars that were serviced. Note that even on the worst numbers (megane II 2003 - 75.1), this means that of the 1000 megane's 75 broke down on the road, that's 1 in 12 cars ... The 2006 and later builds of the megane (post-facelift) seem to have much-improved reliability, although that's hard to say of course since they were only 2 years old yet.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:03 am

Welcome along :cool:
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:33 am

Hello Steve and welcome along :tu
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Basenji
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 hb

Postby Basenji » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:44 am