Hard to put the car into reverse

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Georgije
Currently Drives:: 2006 Renault Megane 1.6 16V

Hard to put the car into reverse

Postby Georgije » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:35 pm

Hello all, i'm new here, i bought a beautiful Renault Megane from 2006 last week.

I'm generally happy with my purchase, but i do have a small problem.

When i try to put the car in reverse, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I often have to try again and really push the gear stick into reverse. I saw some posts on here saying that there is supposed to be a ring on the stick that you pull on, so you can shift into reverse, but i'm pretty sure my car hasn't got it.

I'd like to know if anybody else is experiencing this problem and if it could be a sign of some expensive mechanical failure.

The car is a 1.6 16V with a manual gearbox

cba
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane MK2 2004 + Several Motorbikes

Re: Hard to put the car into reverse

Postby cba » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:31 pm

Georgije wrote:Hello all, i'm new here, i bought a beautiful Renault Megane from 2006 last week.

I'm generally happy with my purchase, but i do have a small problem.

When i try to put the car in reverse, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I often have to try again and really push the gear stick into reverse. I saw some posts on here saying that there is supposed to be a ring on the stick that you pull on, so you can shift into reverse, but i'm pretty sure my car hasn't got it.

I'd like to know if anybody else is experiencing this problem and if it could be a sign of some expensive mechanical failure.

The car is a 1.6 16V with a manual gearbox

If it's missing that ring, you need to replace it ideally!

Georgije
Currently Drives:: 2006 Renault Megane 1.6 16V

Re: Hard to put the car into reverse

Postby Georgije » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:23 am

Mine looks like this, it has 5 speeds and reverse:Image

Return to “Problems / Questions”