steering locked and unlocked starting problem SOLVED

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

catrick

steering locked and unlocked starting problem SOLVED

Postby catrick » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:27 pm

Firstly every car is different and this cured my car that does not mean it will work on yours but if I can save people a few quid ill share my experience.
My car is a 05 plate 1.5dci Megane it started when the car would not start on the display it said steering locked and steering unlocked,luckily for me the steering was unlocked so i managed to tow it home.
Firstly I started by checking the 3 fuses by the positive battery terminal under the red cover and these were all working ok next i checked all wires into ecu above the battery giving them a wiggle and making sure dry and all clipped into place while trying to start the car still again no joy.
I then removed the glove box to get to the black siemens ecu which was very easy only about 5 screws and unclipping some plastics,the ecu was not damp so i disconnected the battery and unclipped all the clips on it checked connections and all seemed how it should be which made me believe apart from wiring the problem must be down to the steering lock itself.
So i removed the cowling from the steering lock and the panel beneath which was also very easy,I now called renault and the steering lock was £350 but how about if this did not solve it ? and after a bit of digging I found out a second hand steering lock could be used as long as it was decoded so a search on ebay found one decoded from a person who decodes them for a bargain price of £110 with delivery.
It arrived today and it involves removing one bolt which is opposite lock and remove it and replace it although very different story if the steering lock is on,but it worked and saved me a lot of money anyone with basic mecanical skills would have easily replaced this part so if you are like me and dont mind giving it ago and taking a risk have a go you can save a fortune as the garage by me wanted £100 to replace it plus the part.
Hope this helps.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: steering locked and unlocked starting problem SOLVED

Postby davelowe » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:24 pm

Nice one. 8)

The thread of the locking bolt is indeed left-handed.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

ThatDumbGuy93
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Authentique 2003

Postby ThatDumbGuy93 » Sat May 21, 2016 6:59 pm

did this and still have the same problem... now i have a new steering lock and still have the same error

dai16550
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 Dynamique 1.9Dci

Postby dai16550 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Anyone sorted this prob yet? Have almost exactly the same issue except steering is locked....oooops

Return to “Problems / Questions”