Check Injection warning and Service light on - new EGR

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

blondends
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Estate 1.9d 04

Check Injection warning and Service light on - new EGR

Postby blondends » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:19 am

Hi All,

I have just had my Renault Megane Estate (1.9d, 04, 100k miles) flash up the Injection warming message and service light again. I have had the car for 5 weeks now and 1 week ago the same combination of lights appeared whilst driving AND the car went in to limp mode. Drove the car to my local garage and the fault recorded on ECU lead him to change the EGR valve (£370 all in - took a while to get the valve out apparently).

Since I have had the car back I feel that the car has lost its power - just seems very sluggish (not as bad as limp mode) and the MPG seems low too (35 MPG). Whilst driving to work this morning coming down a steep hill both warnings appeared again and the car seemed to have lost all it power past 3,000 rpm. When I got to work I stopped the engine and then restarted it - the warnings were no longer there!! :?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to go armed with some info when I take the car back to the garage for them to look at.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

gary47
Currently Drives:: megane

Re: Check Injection warning and Service light on - new EGR

Postby gary47 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:24 am

my megane had the same problem took it in this morning, waiting to pick it up, will let you no how i get o :conf

blondends

Postby blondends » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:48 am

Fingers crossed that it's a cheap fix :-)

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:05 pm

i'm not sure about the megane....but other cars generally store error codes in the ECU even after the service light has gone out for a specified time period afterwards...so it could be that the errorcode that caused the service light is still there in the ECU to view with a suitable device.
e.g. my old vauxhall empties error codes from the ecu after 20 clean starts, so codes are visible for a week or so later..

it will just cost you to find out, maybe the garage who did the work will check it for free ?
then again you only need a paperclip to read the codes from my old vauxhall :)

gary47

Postby gary47 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:00 pm

picked car up my car was missfiring on number 4 cylinder as the ECU scanner test stored the flault replaced ignition coil on number 4 cylinder car ok now :)

daleslade
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane 1.9DCI

Postby daleslade » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:26 am

Hey all,

I had the same problem with my Megane recently. i replaced the upc (computer board for the car) and everything was fixed up as there was a short on the board due to the fact the previous owner got water into the box. This is an expensive exercise though so if EGR replaced and glow plugs fine then do a diagnosis on the actual UPC. I hope this helps.

blondends

Postby blondends » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:54 am

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Whilst driving home last night the error messages appeared again and under similar circumstances too - it seems that when I hit 70ish pushing into 5th gear that is when the messages appear and the car loses power. The loss of power is from 2500 revs and above - so I can accelerate fine through the gears but not past 2500 revs.

I had the EGR valve replace last week - it was stuck open apparently. It does seem since, that the car has lost its poke/power. I have the car booked to go back to the same garage on Thursday so I will hopefully get to the bottom of this then. In the meantime I will test the glow plugs and swap out if necessary.

If anyone else has any ideas I would appreciate the advice. :-)

Cheers,

Chris

gary47

Postby gary47 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:01 pm

picked car up my car was missfiring on number 4 cylinder as the ECU scanner test stored the flault replaced ignition coil on all 4 cylinders car ok now but driving home two days later the check injection warning and service light came on again and the car went into limp mode . this is driving me nuts .taking car back to garage on saturday

adam_thomson
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.9 dci privilege euro 4 (130)

Postby adam_thomson » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:52 pm

hi all,,,,,, i have a 1.9dci (130) megane 2005 and other week (from cold Start) CHECK INJECTION and service light came up, 2glow pluge were out so changed.... today on M1 going about 70mph came on again loss of power but running fine just no 'go' in it......??? maybe i should have changes all 4 glow plugs?? i have looked on other forums and someone said there turbo hose wasnt on proply took it to renault and reconected running fine now.... it seem to me like i can almost feel when the light is going to come on just seem to be mainly at high speeds, and also 'i call it' if booting it feels like when changing gear it goes then gives a boost of power but abit of delay???(if you get me :-) ) if anyone noes about this hose or even how to check i would be greatful. also would you recomend cleaning the EGR?? picture and info on owners glub giude????

thanks Adam

p.s rang renault £82 just to check on computer whats rong so could do with saving that money

d1bbly
Currently Drives:: Renault Megan 1.5 Dci (100)

Postby d1bbly » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi All, I have just bought a 54 1.5Dci(100) which seemed fine around local roads. Then on the Motorway drive home I had the same as "blondends" 'Chris'.
All seems fine until you push it over 3K revs then the Service Light comes on and "Check Injection" shows in the display for a few seconds then disapears.
At the same time there is a loss of power. Chris informs that replacing the EGR could fix this, but is there any update on the loss of power
since. Also how much did the EGR valve replacement cost?
I really like this car it may have done 110K but it's in mint condition inside and out. Really hope my £3k was well spent.
Any one with any other ideas? before I take the car to my trusted mechanic to look at.

Regards

Duanne

nathan black
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.4 authentique
just bought 1.9dci privelage

Postby nathan black » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:49 pm

is it possible to blank the egr valve off as i have seen it done on older diesel engines. its suposed to run better and quiter aswel. what a daft law anyway recurculating gases. global warming is all a conspiracy anyway.

anyone herd of blanking the valve out

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:19 am

Nathan,

EGR is about prevention acid rains rather than the global warming. It, actually, increases CO2 emissions.

To All,
Please do not blame everything on the EGR valve. It may cause warning lights, but there can be many other causes. If you have the described problems do the following:
0! Download the workshop manual from our Links. There are several files with the names similar to "MR364MEGANE0.pdf".
0!! Familiarise yourselves with it.
0!!! Find the fault-finding algorithms based on customer complaints. The dealers follow them.
1. Basic checks including fuel consumption, oil consumption, oil level, visual inspection of everything under the bonnet, pay special attention to unusual noises, smells, spots of oil, inspect visually the turbo, air ducts, intercooler. Check the clear pipe to the fuel pump for bubbles. Check whether the cabin lights dim while starting the engine (battery check). Is there any smoke from the exhaust upon starting?
2. Make sure that the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter are fresh. All filters must be OEM and the oil must be MB229.3/MB229.5 AND 0/5w40 or just RN0710 (for the cars without FAP). Try to recall if you used any dodgy petrol stations recently. Drain water from the fuel filter.
3. Locate and visually inspect the boost pressure and MAF sensors. Move the turbocharger control linkage by hand, it should move freely.
4. Check if the turbocharger control linkage moves within a few seconds after starting the engine.
5. Use ELM327 interface and ScanMaster (or similar) software in your laptop to (a) read the fault codes and then (b) continuously record the engine parameters while replicating the fault. I mean, drive the car with the laptop connected. Build the plots and post them here. The parameters can be verified by the manual.
6. If within the last 30k miles the EGR valve was not cleaned, there is a good chance that you will have to do it anyway.

Without this and without knowing the history of the car (services, faults, repairs, type of journeys) it very difficult to help. Describe in great detail how the fault can be replicated.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”