boot won't open

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

sixtyfivebri
Currently Drives:: megane mk2 1.6 16v dynamique. with panoramic roof and rear roof spoiler. Lowered 30 mm.

boot won't open

Postby sixtyfivebri » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:06 pm

hi all,

this afternoon I had an issue where when I started my car the boot would unlock....

this evening the boot stayed locked and wont open, I've tried the remote middle button, no luck, the rest of the central locking appears to be working ok though.

Does anyone know how to open the boot is their an override somewhere, I have tried the button on the dashboard, but it sounds or rather doesn't sound like the boot motor is working :-(

sixtyfivebri
Currently Drives:: megane mk2 1.6 16v dynamique. with panoramic roof and rear roof spoiler. Lowered 30 mm.

Re: boot won't open

Postby sixtyfivebri » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:04 am

right, things have changed a little, i was sitting in the car with the engine running and after two or three minutes the boot lock actuated and I managed to open it.

The issue now is that it won'd dead lock either with the key fob or the button inside the car.

so it looks like at least I have access, but so does everyone else....

I did take the lock mechanism out to inspect it, it showed signs of condensation so I presumed perhaps a short was taking place. I gave it a quick squirt of wd40. The switch seems ok, there's no evidence of a leak in the little rubber gaiter so now I'm stumped. :( :(

sixtyfivebri

Postby sixtyfivebri » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:50 pm

ok part 3,

I seem to have resolved it, I repositioned the catch as I worked out that the solenoid was working, I did check with Renault they quoted £41 plus vat to supply the part.

They suggested that I have them fit it and recode the car £79 plus vat.

I think the wd 40 must have worked, I saw this solution on another forum ( the wd 40 method) it appears to have cured the problem.

When the fault occurred yesterday it was intermittent, I had jet washed the car and I believe that there had been water ingress, so a cautionary word if you find yourself in the same position, stay away from the boot badge and release mechanism.
:D :D

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Postby Toodeep » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:58 pm

Can you hear the motor in the tailgate trying to operate the lock? If so, there is a white plastic slot on the inside surface (ie underside when the lid is raised) of the lock which should move freely through an arc of about 1cm. (Incidentally it is this slot, accessible from inside the closed boot, that you have to move to open the boot in an emergency). Does the plastic slot and everything that moves with it move freely?

A friend had a problem where the plastic outer part of the lock broke causing it to foul the metal latch part preventing it from springing back. This happened when the boot was open so the latch was permanently in the closed position stopping her from closing the boot. Presumably it would have prevented her opening it had it been closed. Hers was a saloon but I imagine they are the same.

The next thing is the press switch on the boot lid which does get condensation forming inside or water from jet-washes etc. The switch can be opened up (take care the spring inside doesn't ping into oblivion!)and gently dried out with a hairdryer or the car's blower. Wiping won't do a thorough enough job. I smeared some windscreen silicone as if 'glueing' the parts together before re-assembling but wrapping it in a layer of kitchen clingfilm might have been enough.

Obviously if you can hear the motor working even when the boot won't open, the switch is not the problem so I would then be testing the motor itself.

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Postby Toodeep » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:02 pm

I must learn to type faster. I started my 'answer' before your resolution popped up, I promise.

sixtyfivebri

Postby sixtyfivebri » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:21 pm

Toodeep wrote:Can you hear the motor in the tailgate trying to operate the lock? If so, there is a white plastic slot on the inside surface (ie underside when the lid is raised) of the lock which should move freely through an arc of about 1cm. (Incidentally it is this slot, accessible from inside the closed boot, that you have to move to open the boot in an emergency). Does the plastic slot and everything that moves with it move freely?

A friend had a problem where the plastic outer part of the lock broke causing it to foul the metal latch part preventing it from springing back. This happened when the boot was open so the latch was permanently in the closed position stopping her from closing the boot. Presumably it would have prevented her opening it had it been closed. Hers was a saloon but I imagine they are the same.

The next thing is the press switch on the boot lid which does get condensation forming inside or water from jet-washes etc. The switch can be opened up (take care the spring inside doesn't ping into oblivion!)and gently dried out with a hairdryer or the car's blower. Wiping won't do a thorough enough job. I smeared some windscreen silicone as if 'glueing' the parts together before re-assembling but wrapping it in a layer of kitchen clingfilm might have been enough.

Obviously if you can hear the motor working even when the boot won't open, the switch is not the problem so I would then be testing the motor itself.

thanks for such a comprehensive reply, I did almost as you said, apart from the hair drier bit, I now feel totally competent in boot trim removal, you know when I owned a Ford Capri many years ago a friend of mine said that I would be forever fixing it, he was right, unfortunately the Megane is tuning out to be the same :(

the_gambler78
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.6ltr 55plate

Postby the_gambler78 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:13 pm

i have the same problem, went to asda with the kids done a big shop got to the car and the bloody boot wouldn't open........ then drove home and it OPENED!!! next day put the pram in the boot, went for a drive got to my destination and couldn't get the boot open.......it looks as if the catch doesn't move freely any ideas how to free it up, it just feels a bit sticky.

also setting 4 on the blower thingy works intermittently, and last year the back passenger window fell down(£200 to fix, thanks renault) i think this car is a jinx

thanks

keithevans
Currently Drives:: megane 1.5disel estate

Postby keithevans » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi
Megane 05 estate tailgate wont open when i press the key card.
How can i open it from inside sot that I can investigate it futher?

An ideas

keith

Return to “Problems / Questions”