"CHECK GEARBOX" DISPLAYED!!!?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Hany Saad
Learner Driver

"CHECK GEARBOX" DISPLAYED!!!?

Postby Hany Saad » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:16 pm

Hello all,

I have a 1.6 VVT engine year 2006 with 26k on the clock, today after a short journey about 12 k, I suddenly felt as if some one hit me from behind, and there was a kick sound from the gear box, and the message "CHECK GEARBOX" was displayed + service light on, I turned it off and then started it again and everything was gone, the message disappeared, the service light went off and the car is normal again.

Can anyone help me and tell me what happened, and is it safe to drive the car, or should I visit the garage?

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Megane II 2006 sedan,Grey eclipse (B66),1600cc,16V, VVT,steptronic

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Re: "CHECK GEARBOX" DISPLAYED!!!?

Postby Toodeep » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:33 am

I have experienced this and so have others here. Someone might be able to give a definitive solution but I have ignored it so far. At the time the warning was displayed you probably found that the car wasn't changing gear. In my case it seemed to be stuck in second.

I supected the transmission fluid might need topping up only to find that the transmission is sealed.

When faults are intermittent like this, I don't trust dealers to fix the problem. If it's not there when you get it back, well it wasn't actually there when you took it in. If it returns you can't confidently argue they never fixed it the first time. As I said, someone might know the reason but if not I'd wait until it happens again or you can reliably recreate the conditions that make it happen.

Hany Saad
Learner Driver

Postby Hany Saad » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Dear all,

Thank you so much for all your help, today I called the dealer and he seems to know about this problem, he asked me about the VIN number and when I gave it to him he told me that there is a sensor that need to be replaced and it is modified in the Megane II face lift.
So i will visit him and will keep you posted.

Hany Saad
Learner Driver

Postby Hany Saad » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:35 am

Dear all,

Yesterday, I visited Renault dealer in my city and they knew well about my problem, they have a memo from Renault that certain batch (mine was from this batch) had some problem with a solenoid related to the gearbox, it took them like 5 hours to fix it, now the car is perfect.

The problem again is that the car failed to change gears suddenly, with a loud kick from the gear box and the message was displayed and the car went to safe mode, I mean it will not exceed the third gear, when i turned it off I reseted it , and the problem was gone but not for long, if you do not change this solenoid, it will come back again.

By the way, the Solenoid was changed under warranty.

Regards.

IanManchester
Currently Drives:: 04 Red Megane II Dymanique 3 Door Leather + 6 Disc changer (wifes car)

Postby IanManchester » Wed May 06, 2009 12:16 pm

my wifes 2.0 auto 2004 plate had the same problem 1 month after we purchased it. It was fixed by the dealer but the garage we purchased from paid for it, think the cost was about £400. Glad we didnt have to pay for that ourselves.. Since then - we have had the car for 12 months there have been no other problems.

kenboy
Currently Drives:: Megane automatic

Postby kenboy » Wed May 06, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi
Had this problem last year with a auto gear box it done it a couple of times in one month because I had purchased a three year parts and labour insurance on the car
Renault replaced a complete new auto gear box they said that there was a problem with the oil pressures in the gear box something about the ports in the gear box where worn out trust me it will not go a way if you car is under warranty get sorted before the warranty runs out :rock :rock

airdbreck

Postby airdbreck » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:21 am

Like Hany I also had the Solenoid replaced however even though Renault had prior knowledge eg it was reported before Warranty ran out. I ended up paying 25% of repairs as it was 14 days out of Warranty. Renault Australia are a lot less trustworthy than Renault UK. I am disapointed in the fact that I have also bought a Cleo. Renault needs to take responsibility before we all start buying Hyundais with 3yrs unlimited km for sweetie money and trade in every year.

John Adelaide SA

bzerk86
Currently Drives:: Phase II 2.0L Expression Quartz Hatch

Postby bzerk86 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:17 am

I am with John on this, I am sure I use the same dealer as I am also in Adelaide.

I got the issue this morning and it appers to be the same thing, faulty solenoid, hopefully this fixes the rough shifting in 1st and 2nd I have been experiencing when cold. The dealer knows about this issue and belives the car to be safe to drive, if it re-occurs just "reboot". Booked in to get it seen to / get the solenid replaced.

I am disapointed that I need to pay $25 for a loan veichle while mine is in on warrany work, Done just under 30,000 Km. At my last service I told the dealer about it, and they just reset the computer, whats the bet they knew about the issue then?

Love the car so much and I will do anything to keep her happy, love knows no bounds.

shak
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane

Postby shak » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:10 am

Hi

I just had this “CHECK GEARBOX” message this morning when I was driving to work. After turning off and staring the engine again, the messegae is gone, but the car is still idling rough. Have you had this problem? Anyway, I am not so lucky to have a warranty on this car as I bought it used and as is last summer. What does it cost to replace the Solenoid? I know it may be different for different countries, but this may at least give me an idea about the cost. I find that since I had this car, the parts are very expensive compared to Toyota or other manufacturers in Saudi Arabia, I wondered if this is the case in other countries. For example, a fuel injector replacement cost me 1980 Saudi Riyals which is about US$528.

airdbreck

Postby airdbreck » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:04 am

shak wrote:Hi

I just had this “CHECK GEARBOX” message this morning when I was driving to work. After turning off and staring the engine again, the messegae is gone, but the car is still idling rough. Have you had this problem? Anyway, I am not so lucky to have a warranty on this car as I bought it used and as is last summer. What does it cost to replace the Solenoid? I know it may be different for different countries, but this may at least give me an idea about the cost. I find that since I had this car, the parts are very expensive compared to Toyota or other manufacturers in Saudi Arabia, I wondered if this is the case in other countries. For example, a fuel injector replacement cost me 1980 Saudi Riyals which is about US$528.

In Australia it came in around $500 :hm

renaultdude17
Currently Drives:: renault grand scenic (automatic)

Postby renaultdude17 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:11 pm

hey guys i have got this problem im from uk* it seems to only happen on a morning
ive left it so far is it still safe to drive ?

NAZID
Currently Drives:: RENAULT MEGANE II

Postby NAZID » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:42 pm

HI
I have a Renault Megane II and all of a sudden there is ELECTRONIC FAULT,ESP/ASR SYSTEM FAULT AND CHECK GEARBOX displaced on my car.
I have changed the ABS sensors around the hub and i have even changed the complete hub but i still have same informations displayed on my dashboard.
Anyone with ideas should kindly assist me solve my car problem.
What could possible be the problem?

Thank you.

Return to “Problems / Questions”