water ingress

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

dougiemcg

water ingress

Postby dougiemcg » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:53 am

Hi,had my megane for 11 months and I'm getting water in but can't find from where, are there any major problems throughout the model concerning this

john m

Postby john m » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:51 pm

were are you finding the water

jim-boy

Re: water ingress

Postby jim-boy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:00 pm

There is a known problem with water getting into the doors via poor window seals. Because of equally poor design inside the doors this usually causes the window regulators to stop working (see previous posts about that) . The next thing you may notice is that the door pockets are always wet along with anything you keep in them. Not too bad if you only have a can of de-icer but if you have put in a dry cloth to help de-mist the windows......
So far I haven't noticed the water get any further than the door pockets but it may be a good idea to check the "secret" pockets under the floor for dampness.

Jim-boy

lowsaints
Currently Drives:: 2003 1.9DCi Privilege 5DR Hatch

Postby lowsaints » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:25 pm

I have had my 2003 DCi for 4 months and whilst all was great for the 1st three, the last month has thrown up 2 issues which appear both to be common problems with the Mark II. (1) Both offside and nearside floor compartments are now very wet (2) problems with starting and cutting out of engine when driving.

I gather that there is an issue with water ingress into the fuse box which one post stated "is expensive to fix". Any ideas how it is fixed as the post didn't elaborate on how I would need to spend my "hard earned" spondoolies.

I previously had a 1998 Scenic that also had water ingress issues but only into the floor compartments, I would have thought that they could havce fixed this when they launched the Mark II or doesn't it ever rain in France?? :banghead

john-morgan
Currently Drives:: 54 plate Megane tourer

Postby john-morgan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:56 am

Hi,
Recently bought my 54 plate tourer, one of the best cars I've ever owned (I'm in my mid 60's) but after this torrential rain also suffer left front door pocket water ingress. Someone said it's a problem with metal to plastic joint glue failing. Any helpful tips please?
thanks, John M

MeganeChick
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Black Gold '06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, blanking plate, custom air intake feed, RSTuning remap (255bhp), ITG panel filter, Samco silicon air intake pipe, Forge Intercooler, renaultsport alloy wheel decals, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

Postby MeganeChick » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:45 am

if you search the forum there have been plenty of posts on this issue - the door pocket water ingress happened on mine -have you got the standard front speakers in your car? (as upgrading them can cause issues).

i had standard speakers and found that the water was leaking in through the gap (hole) that the speakers are fitted in - so after speaking with a mate who is a renault tech I was advised to seal up the gap that the speaker sits in. i did this with a some double sided sticky sealant tape (not sure what the technical term for it is but i was sent some). it looks like black plasticine but very tacky.

the standard speakers are apparently designed to withstand water ingress behind the door card - and the water will drain out of holes in the bottom of the door card. thats it really. i have done that and problem solved :D

however, if you had aftermarket speakers then they wont necessarily b designed to withsdtand water ingress and you may have issues with the speakers becoming damaged.

i hope that helps?

as with the water ingress in the footwells - from what i remember there was a post about someone stating that it is necessary to check that your drainage holes are clear in the area underneath your front wipers i think?? i dont know as didnt have this myself.
'06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, tuned, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

MeganeChick
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Black Gold '06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, blanking plate, custom air intake feed, RSTuning remap (255bhp), ITG panel filter, Samco silicon air intake pipe, Forge Intercooler, renaultsport alloy wheel decals, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

Postby MeganeChick » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:46 am

'06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, tuned, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

Return to “Problems / Questions”