NO ELECTRICS WORKING AT ALL HELP !!!!!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Kkylo19
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 05 plate

NO ELECTRICS WORKING AT ALL HELP !!!!!

Postby Kkylo19 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:25 am

HI i own a renault megane 05 plate

lately i have had horrendous problems with the electrics, all the usual stuff windows not working sun roof not working then at one point the car wouldmt sstart at all, i took it too my friend who checked all the motors etc in the windows all the fuses and eventually got it working for me. Then once it was working my gearbox needed replacing which was fine theses things happen, but since my car has been idle for a while due to honeymoon there has been alot of rain and the car door pockets are full of water which has always been the case, but the car has been running ok until i notice everytime i hit a bump the car radio would cut out then start again but today i started the car moved 20 yards and then the whole car has cut out and i cant even get anything to show there is a problem as there is no electric at all i only replaced the battery 300 miles ago. DOES anyone know what the problem might be is it the fuses is it because the water is getting in im refusing to take it to renault as they are horrendous with prices please help thank you

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: NO ELECTRICS WORKING AT ALL HELP !!!!!

Postby davelowe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Dry everything out, then start checking for corrosion - and make sure your new battery has a charge.

I could spend hours writing about this, but the first sentence is a starting point.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Kkylo19
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 05 plate

Postby Kkylo19 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:04 pm

had all that done and everything worked even replaced the battery, but it seems everytime the car hits a bump the radio cuts out the mileage resets itsself and also i need to keep re entering the radio code, is it the battery not connected properly or is it water getting in the fuse box ??????????????

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:43 pm

Check under the front near side wheel arch to see if the circular access panel is missing. If missing it allows water to spray into battery/fuse box area and can cause electrical problems.

:)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:58 pm

If the problem only presents itself when the car is suddenly jolted, then something is surely making intermittent contact.

As stated above, it is either owing to corrosion, or something major isn't tight. Also, the major fuses on the +ve battery terminal may have hairline cracks, and myriad other problems (maybe an ABS sensor cable is shorting).

My diagnostic technique would be thus: start the car and try to reproduce the fault. The best method might prove to be letting it idle, and hitting various parts of the engine and fuseboxes with something that won't damage anything, but will pack a punch. I jest not. Rattle everything in sight if you have inspected all exposed wiring....

Good luck.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Skidms9
Learner Driver

Postby Skidms9 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Since you've had the gearbox replaced recently and i'm not sure what engine type you have, on certain engines (i think 1.9) there is a large earth to the gearbox down by the cooling fan. I've seen several of these fracture due to vibration causing intermittant loss of electrics. Also worth checking are the maxi-fuses on the pos' battery terminal. These can also 'fracture' when a short occurs as opposed to popping like a normal fuse causing them to make and break contact when disturbed. Might be worth a quick look.

Return to “Problems / Questions”