New Speedo Clock

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mark_b
Learner Driver

New Speedo Clock

Postby mark_b » Mon May 07, 2012 9:29 am

With the new MOT regulations stating that the airbag light on your dash has to light up then go off again on the dash for it to pass the test, I now need a new speedo clock as my airbag light doesn't come on at all.

What I was wondering does the miles stay the same from the old car where il get the clock from? Or will it automatically go to my own mileage?

Thanks

Mark...

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: New Speedo Clock

Postby AlexB » Mon May 07, 2012 1:30 pm

Are you sure it is not a fault with the airbag system?
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

mark_b
Learner Driver

Postby mark_b » Mon May 07, 2012 5:44 pm

Positive, as I got an auto spark to bust the bulb so It didn't light up all the time as it was annoying me when I was driving! :D

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:22 pm

MOT testers appear to be still in limbo with this as the DOT have not given a specific date to apply this new rule. I would ask the MOT staion you intend going to whether they consider it a fail yet or just an advisory.

Below is a quote from the MOT testers forum on the subject:-

VOSA have caused all this confusion....
In Oct 2011 (SN 7/2011), they said the new components in the test had to be tested from 1/1/12, but to allow testers time to become familiar with the 'new components', any defects on these new items could not be failed, but must be advised ONLY until April 2012.

In November 2011 (SN 9/2011)they clarified that the new testable components would be subject to a 'bedding in period' and that any defects found on the new components would be advisory.

Naturally the trade took this 'bedding in' period to mean April 2012 ie as per earlier SN 7/11 stated.

To compound matters the MoT computer wont allow testers to advise said items, as they dont appear on the VTS database, yet they do appear in the testers Manual as fails.............!

VOSA have remained very quiet on the subject, until SN 2/2012, which mentiond an update to the MoT computer of 9 April 2012. This 'update' however only relates to the testing GUIDE ie policy book on the testing scheme.

Until further notice from VOSA, this 'bedding in' period could go on for months...........

Why oh why haven't VOSA had the courtesy/decency to clarify the situation?

Here's a link to the forum

http://forums.motester.co.uk/forum3/2348.html

However, I don't agree with your initial solution of 'busting the bulb'. How can you now be 'positive' whether your airbags have a fault or not,now or in the future, if you have no warning light?

:?:
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

MeganeDan87
Currently Drives:: Megane 2, Mk1 Clio 16v track Hybrid

Postby MeganeDan87 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:46 pm

As above. It's clear you don't have a clock fault and even if you put new clocks in you would still get a airbag light!

It's obviously an airbag fault as the light is on for a reason. They don't come on for the fun of it!

Do you trade on eBay? If so what's your username just so I can make a mental note not to buy a car off you.
Id rather buy a car with a airbag light so I can address and sort the problem and not take the pikey approach and try to mislead others by thinking all is well when it's not.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon May 07, 2012 11:11 pm

:banghead

OK, take it easy. I am suspecting that it is illegal to reset mileage. Therefore, there might be a special feature for preventing people from doing it. Have a look in the manual in the sticky thread... On the other hand, you will probably take the car to the dealers for programming the replacement dashboard. They will do whatever is needed.

mark_b wrote:Positive, as I got an auto spark to bust the bulb so It didn't light up all the time as it was annoying me when I was driving! :D
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

mark_b
Learner Driver

Postby mark_b » Thu May 10, 2012 11:18 pm

Can I just clarify the situation, I want new clocks so the airbag light will light on the dash board, as its a requirement now under new MOT regulations for the light to go on when the ignition is turned on then go off after a few seconds. So I have no other option to buy a new or used clock, as the bulbs as far as I know cant be replaced.

With the new clocks in place I will then take to an auto spark to sort the problem.

The problem I had previously was rectified by replacing the wire behind the steering wheel, but the light kept appearing even when there was no faults showing on the garages computer, that's why I got the bulb taken out (busted).

Thanks to AlexB and morganjake for trying to be civil in the thread.

MeganeDan87

Postby MeganeDan87 » Fri May 11, 2012 8:06 pm

My appologies, after reading my comment i admit it was rather rash. The way I read it was that you just broke the bulb instead of sorting out the actual problem, didn't give it any thought and found it amusing.
You are honest in wanting to sort out the problem rather than just selling it on to save yourself any agro which I'm sure some would!

The motor trade is full of second hand cars that could deceive a buyer. Who puts his Family and kids in the car he believes to be in perfect condition. Airbags are there as a safety device and shouldn't really be abused in such a way.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri May 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Interesting discussion. Thanks, guys, for cooling it off.

I'd also like to know, for the sake of it, where the mileage data is stored. No doubt it will be in the manual somewhere; I doubt it is the display console.

Finally, did you fix the original fault. Air bag lights are known to illuminate for a variety of reasons (under seat connexions for example).
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

MeganeDan87

Postby MeganeDan87 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm sure the mileage is stored on the clocks themselves.

I went to look at a scenic to buy and it had the clocks changed at 52,000 and it was reset to 0. With the new clocks showing 31,000 however there was no proof of the "warranty" work carried out so I walked away.

mark_b
Learner Driver

Postby mark_b » Sat May 12, 2012 11:48 am

davelowe wrote:Interesting discussion. Thanks, guys, for cooling it off.

I'd also like to know, for the sake of it, where the mileage data is stored. No doubt it will be in the manual somewhere; I doubt it is the display console.

Finally, did you fix the original fault. Air bag lights are known to illuminate for a variety of reasons (under seat connexions for example).

The problem I had with the airbag light, was the wire in behind the steering wheel was damaged and caused the airbag light to come on and stay on, I got this fixed and the light still stayed on. When it was placed back on the computer the car was showing no faults, so the auto spark couldnt understand why it was still lighting. I then asked him would he take care of the bulb as it was annoying me looking at the dash.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sun May 13, 2012 10:39 pm

This is a botch not a fix. Proper diagnosis would have been better, but we all have off days.

The reason I say this, is that should you have a front collision, you want the air bag to work as advertised.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

mark_b
Learner Driver

Postby mark_b » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:19 am

Got my new speedomoter and guess what? The airbag and servIce light are lit up. Went to a different auto spark and the codes that are popping up are - DF 071
DF 072
DF 210

Anyone know what these codes are? MOT is up on Saturday so need to get it sorted ASAP.

Thanks

Mark...

ikhan
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 DCi (106)

Postby ikhan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:53 am

Found this:

Code....Location.....................Possible Cause
DF071...Driver's airbag, stage 2...Wiring, driver's airbag
DF072...Driver's airbag, stage 1...Wiring, driver's airbag

Can't find anything for DF210 yet, although I would hazard a guess that the replacement clockspring is still faulty....

EDIT: Just found "Front Buckle Pretensioner" for DF210
Renault Megane 1.5dCi (106)
Lowered 45mm (Spax)
RenaultSport R26 Front & Rear Bumpers, Spoilers, Door Bullets, & Exhaust
6000k HIDs (H7 & H11), LED Side, No Plate, & Interior Lights
18" Inovit Tarmac Alloys (matt black)

mark_b
Learner Driver

Postby mark_b » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:25 pm

So what are the parts that's broke then ? Does anyone know if it will be big money to get these faults sorted?

Return to “Problems / Questions”