Renault Megane 04 1.9DCI starting problem

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

oaky2k

Renault Megane 04 1.9DCI starting problem

Postby oaky2k » Fri May 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi,

I wonder whether anyone can shed any light on the problems i am having with my Renault Megane 1.9DCI Dynamique 04 reg

Over the past few weeks when i put the keycard in the slot and attempt to start the car using the start button the engine will not start. The engine does not even crank. I have noticed that the oil light, battery light, and stop light remain and a beep noise comes from the car. If i repeatedly press the start button the car will eventuallty fire up and start straight away. The car then runs perfectly once it has started up, the engine doesnt cut out and i have never experienced any loss of power. Having drove a number of miles as soon as i turn off the ignition it will start first time. However, when i leave the car for over an hour or so the problem returns. It seems to be fine once the engine has warmed up. I have took the car to a local garage (not Renault) and they have stated no fault codes have been recorded.

My next option is to go to Renualt and pay for them just to plug it into a computer to try and attempt to identify any further faults.

Has anyone ever come across this problem before or know of any remedy??

Thanks,

James

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Renault Megane 04 1.9DCI starting problem

Postby davelowe » Fri May 07, 2010 1:42 pm

oaky2k wrote:Hi,

I wonder whether anyone can shed any light on the problems i am having with my Renault Megane 1.9DCI Dynamique 04 reg

Over the past few weeks when i put the keycard in the slot and attempt to start the car using the start button the engine will not start. The engine does not even crank. I have noticed that the oil light, battery light, and stop light remain and a beep noise comes from the car. If i repeatedly press the start button the car will eventuallty fire up and start straight away. The car then runs perfectly once it has started up, the engine doesnt cut out and i have never experienced any loss of power. Having drove a number of miles as soon as i turn off the ignition it will start first time. However, when i leave the car for over an hour or so the problem returns. It seems to be fine once the engine has warmed up. I have took the car to a local garage (not Renault) and they have stated no fault codes have been recorded.

My next option is to go to Renualt and pay for them just to plug it into a computer to try and attempt to identify any further faults.

Has anyone ever come across this problem before or know of any remedy??

Thanks,James

It's a variation on a theme this. I would check the electrical connections to the starter motor and its solenoid. Also, how old is the battery? The original will be ready for a replacement.

See also here: https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... f=2&t=6292 (particularly Bumpy Macaroon's post) - I realise this is a different engine.

Also here: https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... 59&p=76636
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

oaky2k

Postby oaky2k » Sat May 08, 2010 1:16 am

hi,

there is definately a click when i attempt to start the car, i have noticed that when the car does eventually start from cold the glow plug symbol comes on for a second then disappears, when the car doesnt start the symbol is not present

the battery is the original one which came with the car new,

i have noticed on two occasions when i attempted to start the car the engine fan came on and would only go off when i pressed the start button again

nathan black
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.4 authentique
just bought 1.9dci privelage

Postby nathan black » Sat May 08, 2010 9:32 am

sounds like a bad electrical problem in the starter circuit. i would phone an auto electrician

oaky2k

Postby oaky2k » Sat May 08, 2010 11:28 am

like i said once the engine has started and is still warm it always starts up fine and straight away,

just started it from cold this morning and noticed there was no click when it didnt start

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sat May 08, 2010 10:35 pm

Replace the battery or check the connections - at least subject it to a load test. Try to replicate the problem with the headlamps switched on. Observe if the headlamps dim when the engine cranks (they should). If they dim but it doesn't crank the problem is most likely an old battery (or connections). If no click is heard and the lights don't dim, the solenoid connection is probably duff.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

chewbacker
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: megane 19 dci

Postby chewbacker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:38 pm

how did you get onwith this problem

Return to “Problems / Questions”