Electric window problem

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

AlanTR
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 dCI Tech Run (106 bhp)
MG TF

Electric window problem

Postby AlanTR » Thu May 05, 2011 6:47 pm

On my 2008 Megane 1.5 dCi the passenger side electric front window has stopped working. Neither the local or remote switch will open/close the window. The driver's side front and both rear windows all work as normal.

Anybody had the same or similar problem? If so, what was the problem and how did you fix it?

Thanks...

Rama78
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.6 Dynamique

Re: Electric window problem

Postby Rama78 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:08 pm

The exact same thing has just happened to me mate. I bought A 2007 Renault Dynamique 1.6 a few weeks back. It only has 13,000 miles on it also. Everything was going great until just a couple of days ago.

I phoned Renault UK today and they said its likely that the window regulator has gone and will need replaced. An absolute joke! They told me as of May 2010 they now pay 75% of the cost to get this repaired meaning I will still have to stump up between £80-100! They said it is a common problem and thats why they have now came to this agreement.

If your car is still within the 3 year warranty they will repair it for free. Contact them and your nearest Renault Dealer.

I am going to contact the car seller I purchased my car from tomorrow. He told me he was giving me a 3 month warranty so just hoping this kind of thing is part of it.

Rama78
Passed Theory

Postby Rama78 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Eddie- wrote:it's covered for 7 year's or 100k by reno uk

Hi Eddie

Its not covered fully though. Renault UK says they will only cover 75% of the cost. I phoned the Renault dealer/repair centre closest to me and they also said they dont have the parts and dont know when they will be getting them. They said the parts initially come from Japan and because of the recent Tsunami there has been a huge backlog!

Does anyone know anyone who has got this repair done free of charge outside of the normal 3 year warranty?

Absolute nightmare!

Bon_Qui_Qui

Postby Bon_Qui_Qui » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:12 pm

I have this same problem with the drivers side window. I contacted Renault last year and they told me they would cover 75% of the cost which sounds okay but then they wanted an additional £78 to put it on their diagnostics machine. I could not afford it at the time and my car was 7 years old in January. So I now have a window that does not work and the door pocket filling with water every time it rains.

peter h
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 VVT Dynamique Auto

Postby peter h » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:45 pm

welcome to the duff window club.

i'm also waiting for a window regulator...

kormakid

Postby kormakid » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:51 pm

my passenger side window stopped working luckily in the put position..........

then my rear wiper started to play up and tailgate kept unlocking its self at the same time.......

but now the window works again ........... all by is self........ boot and wiper still buggered tho.

took the fuse out for the wiper and stopped tailgate opening.

Rama78
Passed Theory

Postby Rama78 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:00 pm

I came home from work last Friday night and had a blast at fixing my passenger window before the rain started again. Thankfully the rain stayed off for a few hours and all is sorted.

For me the hardest part of the whole job is getting the actual door panel clipped back on where those big plastic clips join onto the metal parts. This is where I asked the wife for a helping hand and she was more than good. She more or less got them on herself lol.

Renault UK got me booked in with my local Renault garage to diagnose the problem about a month ago. They simply said it was the regulator and I may have to wait until September for the part as the factory they got their supplies from was flattened in the recent Japan Tsunami. When I took the panel off I could see Renault had actually disconnected the regulator from the main connection so it was never going to start working on its own again.

I used these pictures and instructions

http://sites.google.com/site/proluxelectronics/how-to

as well as great advice from HeatherJ, costeau and darokane over on renaultforums.co.uk. I could never have did it without such great advice and anyone on here should certainly give it a try. I am going to fix my back window shortly also.

My regualor was slightly different than HeatherJ's (moderator on renaultforums.co.uk). It is a 2007 model so I also used these pitctures and instructions.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showt...w+reset&page=6

This is HeatherJ's 2004 Renault Megane Fix with pictures on the other site http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=109441

All I did was take the regulator apart and spray the chip board with Maplin Electronic Solvent Cleaner. I couldnt actually take the chip board out so I just sprayed a lot inside and allowed it to drain off. I also sprayed the connectors and sealed around the inside of the lid as well as putting a large quantity of silicone sealent around the area where the foam sealant used to be. See the pictures in this link http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showt...w+reset&page=6. I actually didnt even have a foam sealant!!! Perhaps Renault removed it when they had disconnected the main lead going to the regulator whilst I was waiting on the car going in for repair.

After I did this I also sprayed the main lead that goes to the regulator (Image 7 in the last link) with more of the Maplin Electronic Solvent and again covered that whole area with clear silicone sealant just as it is in the same picture.

I reconnected everything together after I had allowed the silicone sealant time to dry and put the panel back on. Now it was time to test it and to be honest I wasnt expecting a miracle but to my sheer surprise my window was working again!

At first the window fell about half way down and stuck again. The Wife panicked offcourse thinking we had a car sitting with an open window all night lol.

So I did as it says on the renaultforums.co.uk and turned the electrics on and off a few times until I got the window to the top. Then once it was up I held the switch in the up position for around 10 seconds to reset it, then let the window go to the bottom and held the switch down for around 10 seconds to reset it and then presto the window is working perfect again! The best part is now that the regulator is sealed properly this shouldnt happen again. Well to that window anyway! lol

Anyone who has this problem do this job yourself. Dont give Renault your hard earned cash!!!

Habee
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2007 dynamique 1.4 hatch

Postby Habee » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:49 pm

front window~drivers side~Megane 2007 Hatch, it's almost like my megane has suffered a stoke cos the right hand side of the car just isn't what it used to be !!
The brake light is out, the window won't close, the steering wheel now shakes when hitting a certain speed & the wing mirror shudders as it folds in, not to mention the cruise control that no longer works and a sunroof that needs a push up to get it moving on a hot sunny day !!

I was hoping the window was going to fix it's self like it did last time but no signs of this happening yet. I was able to tape up the gap to stop the rain geting during my drive home this evening and if it does stop raining this weekend I am absolutely going to try & fix this myself using the advice and photos found on this forum. Thanks everyone.

Wish me luck - I'll update tomorrow, weather permitting.

Does the new megane have this window problem ?

Sunday evening update -

Using the pictures from the link in the above post and with the help of my dad I am very happy to say that my window is now working.
The circuit board was very damp and I could squeeze water out from the foam wrapped around the cables. I sprayed everything with WD40 and replaced the insulation tape. It certainly wasn't an easy job but I'm so happy that I gave it a go - it was worth the time and effort not to mention the
££'s saved. :cool:

peter h
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 VVT Dynamique Auto

Postby peter h » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:21 am

got mine fixed yesterday after waiting 3 months for renault to get the window regulators in.

its nice to be able to open the window. thwy also re sealed the door and put a membrane on the door panel.

Return to “Problems / Questions”