2000 megane strange noice from aux belt

The section for all Megane I talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

vangellis
Currently Drives:: meganne

2000 megane strange noice from aux belt

Postby vangellis » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi I have been having problems with my auxillary belt and its components over the past 6 months. Anyway to cut a long story short, first I renewed the Steering pump as the belt was too tight and damaged the bearings in the pump, I renewed the belt as well. after a while I noticed this strange rattling sound when the engine was started from cold, but after a while when the car had warmed up the noise went, and it sounded fine. So I decided to renew the belt tensioner pulley as it appeard the noise was coming from there, again I renewed the belt as well. All appeared fine for a while, now this rattling noise has returned, but it only happens when you first start the car, more noticible if its cold weather, its not like a fanbelt screeching/slipping noise, more like a rattling noise. but as I said after driving about a mile it stops, and the engine sounds perfect. I am wondering if my fan belt is too loose or too tight, I am a bit dubious about overtightening the belt as last time it wrecked the steering pump. any ideas anybody please
thanks
Roger

vangellis
Currently Drives:: meganne

Re: 2000 megane strange noice from aux belt

Postby vangellis » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:20 pm

WELL, ROFL. THIS WAS A SIMPLE TEST POST TO SEE WHAT THIS "OWNERS" GROUP WAS LIKE. iT APPEARS TO ME THAT NONE OF YOU HAVE A BLOODY CLUE.
29 READERS AND NOT ONE OF YOU KNEW ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT THIS COMMON MEGANE PROBLEM.

YOU SEE, THE AUX BELT ON A 2000 MEGANE IS TOOTHED, THAT MEANS THAT IF THE BELT WAS ONLY SLIGHTLY LOOSE IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO SQUEAL OR SCREECH, INSTEAD IT WOULD CAUSE THE BELT TENSIONER TO RATTLE. THE ANSWER IS OBVIOUS- THE BELT IS LOOSE.
GOD, AND YOU CALL YOURSELF EXPERTS. YOUR A WATE OF SPACE.
ROGER

busternlouie
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: '05' Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Re: 2000 megane strange noice from aux belt

Postby busternlouie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:12 pm

:life

vangellis wrote:I am a bit dubious about overtightening the belt as last time it wrecked the steering pump.

Why would somebody tell you to tighten the belt when you make comments like the above quote?

Its more likely that you took the car to the garage, they told you the belt was loose and now you feel a bit silly after fitting the parts yourself. Correct?
2005 Megane Sporthatch 2.0 VVT Dynamique Extreme Blue

Return to “Megane I”