Where is my TDC Sensor 1.6 2003

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

westy_26
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: MKII Megane 1.6 Dynamique
Focus STaloon Panther Black

Where is my TDC Sensor 1.6 2003

Postby westy_26 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:58 pm

Guys I have read this forum and my haynes manual but I cannot find my TDC sensor.

I have not removed the battery and tray as I do not have the stereo code (have checked ALL the paperwork with the car but no.. the page is blank) Renault also want £20 to give me a code that should of been with the car when I bought it....and I am reluctant to spend this on a car that has cost me hundreds already recently.

So hoping I can do it without removing the battery and wondered if anyone had any pictures and tips.

Haynes manual was of no hope as it tells me to remove the battery and half the car... LOL

Thanks

westy_26
Passed Theory

Re: Where is my TDC Sensor 1.6 2003

Postby westy_26 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:26 pm

freddymercurystwin wrote:Re: TDC sensor: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6973&hilit=tdc+sensor

Re: Code: Try another Dealer or there are various websites around who should be able to tell you your code for a much smaller fee or try here: https://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/174129.html

What do you do.. post a request on a thread?

Thansk for that

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:48 pm

i believe you can replace the TDC from underneath with a mirror and a bit of fiddling about.
it's located on top of the bell housing of the gearbox.

westy_26
Passed Theory

Postby westy_26 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:53 pm

Did the TDC Sensor this weeked

Managed to do the wife's Megane at the weekend and thought I would post a couple of additional pics as they may help.

Firstly this is a 2003 1.6Vvt Dynamique.

A Is where the TDC Sensor is located, just under the black pipe. If you put your hand under there you will see it.
Unfortunately you will have to remove your battery, it makes access soooo much easier. Make sure you have your radio code before disconnecting the battery.

Remove the battery and the Tray. As can be seen by B

Closer
And here you can see it more clearly.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 599x448 and weights 103KB.

Undo the two bolts circled in RED with a 10m socket. *TIP* Use a Magnetic extendable stick available from ebay for a couple of quid. To grab the bolts as they come loose so they do not fall.

The TDC is wired into a plug which is just out of shot but circled in blue.

This is the TDC sensor and as you can see it is filthy.
Also the Haynes manual was incorrect. It states that you can follow the wiring back and unclip the TDC sensor. Sadly this is wrong you have 3 maybe 4 inches of wire to play with so cut the old plug off pretty close.

I bought the new TDC Sensor which has a blue plug on the back and it came with a bit of wiring with the socket that plugs into the new sensor. You will need to cut the old plug off and connect the old wiring onto the new plug.

Unfortunatley the new wires on the blue plug are not the same colour as the wires you will have cut. You have a 50/50 chance of getting it right here and a PITA if you put the car back together and it is wrong so make sure you get it right.

*TIP* I put the old plug next to the new plug and worked out which wire joined up with which. (Can't remember the colours) but it is self explanitory and quite easy. I used a couple of RED tube type wire connectors that you crimp. The TDC does come with some tubes but I think you have to heat them or something...far too complicated and you have bugger all room as it is.

Notice the Blue part, this is the difference from the old TDC sensor which is black and the revised newer one.

Then all you need to do is put it all back together and fire it up.

It should tick over nicely...phew...

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:34 am

very useful guide and pics..ive just bought a new plug + harness, which i'll get around to replacing in the next week or 2.
i don't fancy disconnecting the battery...other people have manged to change TDC without doing this.

westy_26
Passed Theory

Postby westy_26 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:42 am

markren2004 wrote:very useful guide and pics..ive just bought a new plug + harness, which i'll get around to replacing in the next week or 2.
i don't fancy disconnecting the battery...other people have manged to change TDC without doing this.

OK if you don't have the radio code then good luck. I reccomend buying a mirror on a stick thingy and a magnet on a stick - extendable. Both can be bought for pennies on ebay and have been very useful.

Personally I cannot see how you can do it without removing your battery but then it does depend on the size of your engine and where the sensor is located.

m4rky

Postby m4rky » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:21 pm

How did you get the battery tray out?

I got the battery out and then got scared as the ecu seems to be bolted to the battery tray.

I can see 2/3 torx screws on the bottom of the battery tray and then one on the front left of the tray connected to an air pipe?

Thanks,

Mark

Return to “Problems / Questions”