'take up slack' upon driving off

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

tatt

'take up slack' upon driving off

Postby tatt » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi all,

My Megane 1.5Dci (06) plate seems to to have a problem which manifests itself as as a clunk (felt through the steering column) as I set off from a standing start. It also occasionally does it on gear change, ie. 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. Its almost like there is some slack in the drive or something. I'm not too good at describing problems, so I hope someone understands! Yes, I have 5 months warranty left, but, I know the dealer will try and feed some cock eyed story relating to 'can't find a fault'. So. this is pre book in research I guess.

Anyone have any ideas?

Tatt.

Toosh
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 1.9 dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch in Black.
Nervasport alloys, Comfort Pack, Full Leather interior, 6 Disc CD Changer,
Panoramic Roof, and loads more stuff.

Re: 'take up slack' upon driving off

Postby Toosh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:47 pm

Maybe worn wishbone bushes? Years ago when i had a 106 it suffered with a clunck when setting off and it was traced to the bushes.
Black 03 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch. Gone but not forgotten.
Black 56 Pug 207 GT 1.6 Turbo

westy_26
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: MKII Megane 1.6 Dynamique
Focus STaloon Panther Black

Postby westy_26 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:14 pm

Might be bushes...

My neighbour had his rear subframe bushes replaced recently... said it drove funny round corners and made a bit of a clonking...

Nige
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03' Renaultsport Megane 1.4 16v...NO FAULTS HERE! :-D

Postby Nige » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:28 pm

pull the bonnet, shake the engine quite agressively back and forward and look for a cradle motion in the engine....if the engine moves back and forward without much effort your engine/gearbox mounts are gone...technically it shouldnt move very much AT ALL! just ordered a top left engine mount for mine there £40, should sort my clonking issue out anyway.
03' Megane 1.4 16v 3Dr, N.Ireland

lucydci
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5 dci Dymanique Sport Hatch

Postby lucydci » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:41 pm

Mine seems to do this, had the top engine mount replaced but I can still feel it clunking if I do a less than perfect gear change or I accelerate sharply. I can actualy see the gear lever move backwars so I am thinking it must be the rear gearbox / engine mount. Any one how much these are for a 1.5dci 80?
2004 Black Megane II 1.5 dci Dynamique Sport Hatch

Nige
Advanced Driver

Postby Nige » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:44 pm

Hey lucy, to be honest and i think many others will agree, if your replacing one mount...your best replacing them all!

I have just ordered my top mount and still waiting for its delivery....but to be honest i think i might do all three because if ones not right in the engine they just ruin the new ones in no time.

lucydci
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5 dci Dymanique Sport Hatch

Postby lucydci » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:53 pm

Nige wrote:Hey lucy, to be honest and i think many others will agree, if your replacing one mount...your best replacing them all!

I have just ordered my top mount and still waiting for its delivery....but to be honest i think i might do all three because if ones not right in the engine they just ruin the new ones in no time.

They just did the top one under warranty, will call them tomorrow and see how much to do the other 2?? does the 1.5dci have 3 in total?
2004 Black Megane II 1.5 dci Dynamique Sport Hatch

Nige
Advanced Driver

Postby Nige » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:01 pm

lucydci wrote:
Nige wrote:Hey lucy, to be honest and i think many others will agree, if your replacing one mount...your best replacing them all!

They just did the top one under warranty, will call them tomorrow and see how much to do the other 2?? does the 1.5dci have 3 in total?

Yea there is three in the car lucy.....one can be seen on the top left middle of the engine (Most Visible and the one your getting done). The other can be seen under the battery tray....the other one is the gearbox mount located underside. You cant see it unless you remove the plastic undercover tray.

They say the top one that you are getting done with warranty is the main ones that cause the problem so see how that goes and if theres still a problem, obviously it being under warranty you will have to get them done also. But definatly question them about getting the other ones checked while its in....the gearbox mount can give a little play from time to time...never hear many issues with the lower right hand side one tho.

Return to “Problems / Questions”