Rear Window Leak - Through High Level Brake Light?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Winterwolf

Rear Window Leak - Through High Level Brake Light?

Postby Winterwolf » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:01 pm

High there, finally got a day when its not raining or snowing to check out the leak on the 53 Dynamique petrol 1.6 I have.
the rear parcel shelf being wet twigged me onto the problem..... Ive taken the 3 bits of trim off around the high level brake light to see if there is anything obvious, but nothing that I could tell.

I poured some water over the top of the boot when closed and you can see a stream of water coming in right in the middle of the window..... only thing I can think of is its coming in through the high level brake light .... Anyone have a clue how to get this off so I can check its seal as I dont want to start riving at it.

Cheers
Fin.

Winterwolf

Re: Rear Window Leak - Through High Level Brake Light?

Postby Winterwolf » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:04 pm

got it cheers .... Looks like the seal around the exterior of the light is a bit bashed up ..... and typically the Renault parts department closes at midday on a Sat .... what a crock o shite.

IanManchester
Currently Drives:: 04 Red Megane II Dymanique 3 Door Leather + 6 Disc changer (wifes car)

Re: Rear Window Leak - Through High Level Brake Light?

Postby IanManchester » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:00 pm

I, like you believed that the brake light was causing my leak. Upon closer inspection it turn out there was a leak between the glass and the boot frame. I phone auto glass and they wanted 150 quid to remove the glass and reseal it!!

This is where halfords helped out because i purchased 'Loctite quick gasket' On the exterior of the car I quirted a fine beed of the gasket in the gap between the boot frame work and the glass all the way across. It is extreamly sticky stuff this, so I used some washing-up liquid to act as a lubricant between my finger and the gasket. Once finished there was no leak and it looked a professional job - upon close inspection because the gasket is black it looks like a small rub seal.

Return to “Problems / Questions”