Electric Window faults

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

golfoscarbravo
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5l diesel estate

Electric Window faults

Postby golfoscarbravo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:21 pm

I now have a passenger window that is only held up by a piece of wood inside the door frame.

I have a 54 plate megane estate 1.5 Diesel; the window came down of it's own accord while it was at Tesco car park. On this forum I found the short term solution of removing the fuse, replacing, then using the key card by clicking twice to get the window to go up 2"'s at a time. So it took several goes to get the window all the way up.

Unfortunately the re-set option doesn't help and within a week the window had fallen again, this time whilst parked in London. I approached Renault as the car was less than 4 years old, but due to the high milegae, 103k, they would not do anything, but wanted to charge me £440 to repair. Hence I now have a piece of wood holding the window closed.

My main concern is after visiting 3 different Renault dealerships and always seeing other cars having their windows repaired (once 3 cars were in having the same job done) I started asking Megane owners in car parks. Some had already had their windows repaired twice !!!

Apparently the rain gets inside the windows, runs down the wires and corrodes these into the regulator which is next to the motor. This is surely a design fault and should have a recall. The wires should at least be stainless and corrosion free.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think this is a serious problem? Can I park in towns or will my other 3 windows choose to drop and allow anyone easy entrance into my car ? If insurance were aware of this problem it would double all our premiums.

Is there a cheaper option that will fix the windows ? I have taken the door trim off twice to have a look (not an easy job) and now I'm thinking of inserting a piece of wood beneath the other 3 windows before they fail.

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Re: Electric Window faults

Postby markren2004 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:58 pm

not had the same issue myself (yet)...but water ingress is a very common issue that causes secondary problems with the electrics it gets into.

the window issue is particular common...you'll find lots of posts on here about it...you can get a after-market replacement window regulator for a fraction of the cost a dealer wants.

chevin
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamique, Comfort Pack/

Postby chevin » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:28 pm

Golfie,

me too - front passenger window window went a couple of weeks ago. This was along with half a dozen issues (6) which cropped up at a service (44 k miles) all of which were estimated at £ 300 ea !

I was appalled at the number of references to this same problem on this site. You could always try the angle of that this is clearly a manufacturing fault so Renault are responsible. Under the Sale of Goods act the vehicle has to be free of manufacturing defects and if not the manufacturer should pay. I suspect that the only recourse is the small claims court and you'll have to prove that this was the case. I've lodged my complaint on the Renault website as I'm not prepared to spend more money on this pile of junk until I have to - I 'll see what they say when /if the car is ever fixed.

I am looking forward to my ultimate recourse next year and selling the car and never buying another Renault ever again!

andywills
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.6e 16V VVT

Postby andywills » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:14 pm

I've lodged my complaint on the Renault website as I'm not prepared to spend more money on this pile of junk until I have to - I 'll see what they say when /if the car is ever fixed.

want me to tell you what reply you'll get?
Renault Megané Dynamique 1.6e 16v VVT 2004

golfoscarbravo
Passed Theory

Postby golfoscarbravo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:19 pm

"I am looking forward to my ultimate recourse next year and selling the car and never buying another Renault ever again!chevin"

This is also my feeling, but I wish I'd been pre-warned before making this purchase, my first and last Renault. I would just like to let other people know so that they do not fall into the same bottomless pit trap, that purchasing this car has meant. £440 for a manufacturers fault that should have been a recall and mended for free. I took it up with Renault directly, my wife is a partner in a law firm so can work for free for me, but Renault just didn't want to know and virtually told me "You bought a cheap car, so that's what you get!!" They started friendly and ended up anything but...

chevin
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamique, Comfort Pack/

Postby chevin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:57 am

Golfie, indeed so - it will cost alot of time and money and may not be worth it. But whats the saying, a happy customer tells 5 of his friends, an unhappy one tells 10.....

The knife is twisted by the local Renault stealership, if they were mildly sympathetic it might help - but they are n't. sorely tempted to drive down to where all the floods have been and park up and wait.....

Yellowboat
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9dci

Postby Yellowboat » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:18 am

We also have had trouble with the windows on our Renault Megane Dynamique. The window wound itself down and died. We were told by the local Renault garage that is what happens. This was going to cost a lot of money to replace so I looked on the internet on Ebay and Breakers link and got the part for £60.00 a big difference to what the garage was going to charge. My husband fixed it himself.
I do notice that the door pocket on the driver's side fills up with water and would appreciate someone being able to tell us what to do about it. The door panels are very tricky to get off and even more tricky to put back on!!
The front passenger window has now started playing up. I called into a garage mid journey and this very kind chap wiggled the wires about between the door and the body of the car and it went up again. I now have duck tape over the switch to stop anyone winding it down.
I have been told and noticed on other sites that this seems to be a common problem!! not impressed at all. There just constantly seems to be all these expensive little niggles that we are not in a position to afford to take to the garage to have repaired at great cost.
IF we can afford to replace our car in the future I do not think it will be a Renault or any other car that has all the expensive electronics on it.
Another point is if these windows wind themselves down what on earth would happen with the Insurance if the car was stolen as a result of this?

golfoscarbravo
Passed Theory

Postby golfoscarbravo » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:43 pm

Has anyone got a tutorial on how to replace the regulator for the window winder ?

It took me hours just to work out how to get the door trim loose, I didn't dare try to actually remove it ! And in that position it is not possible to even see where the wires are going !!!

busternlouie
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: '05' Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby busternlouie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:22 pm

2005 Megane Sporthatch 2.0 VVT Dynamique Extreme Blue

golfoscarbravo
Passed Theory

Postby golfoscarbravo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:11 pm

THANK YOU.......Knew someone would come to the rescue. CHEERS

DSM
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Sport Tourer.

Postby DSM » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:02 pm

I recently had my regulator fixed free of charge by Renault, but am concerned that there are 3 others on the car of the same age !!!!

How do i get WD40 into the door panel without removing anything - just put the straw from the WD40 can between the rubbers and spray randomly ? Hopefully this will offer some protection from water ingress ?

Dave

__spc__
Learner Driver

Postby __spc__ » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:59 am

Hmmm,

I did wonder why whenever I jetwash my '53 plate Dynamique, I can pull away the driver's door rubber door seal along the bottom edge of the door and water floods out! I dread to think what corrosion is going on away from prying eyes..!
5dr 1.6VVT Hatch, Pearl Black Megane Dynamique + Comfort Pack, '53 plate

Return to “Problems / Questions”