Whinning Noise Need help from Experts

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Hany Saad
Learner Driver

Whinning Noise Need help from Experts

Postby Hany Saad » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:09 am

Hi there....
Mine is 1.6 VVT automatic year 2006 with 21K on the clock,2 months ago I smelled a very bad odour coming from under the hood,it was very strong and smells like rotten fish,few days later the battery went flat and I replaced it.Since then and intermittently sometimes I hear a loud whinning noise when the car is driven for about 30 minutes,I can confirm that it is not coming from the brakes,nor from the AC,when the car is idle there is no noise but when it is moving especially at low speeds it is very audible even if the gear is on neutral "N",but when I stop the car while the engine is running there is no noise.

when the car is parked for some time and then you turn it on later there is no noise what so ever,and it can stay like this for weeks and then suddenly the noise appears again,it is audible even to the people in the street like humming birds rotating,I think it is coming from some sort of a rotating pulley or belt,but why it is very intermittent and which pulley or belt is doing this?

This pulley or belt should be related to the motion,well may be a wheel bearing or so as the sound is gone once I stop the car from motion and back when I press the accelerator.

forget to mention that the motor is running perfectly fine with no ratteling or stalling and it starts up perfectly.

any help will be highly appreciated.
Megane II 2006 sedan,Grey eclipse (B66),1600cc,16V, VVT,steptronic

joshmul
Currently Drives:: Renault megane 2 2.0 16v dynamique vvt

Re: Whinning Noise Need help from Experts

Postby joshmul » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:44 am

I had a whine coming from the engine and it turned out to be the inlet manifold, I had a new 1 fitted and it was spot on.....Like you said the engine was running fine except for the whine which only happened when the engine warmed up.

Return to “Problems / Questions”