Window switch faulty?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

IanManchester
Currently Drives:: 04 Red Megane II Dymanique 3 Door Leather + 6 Disc changer (wifes car)

Window switch faulty?

Postby IanManchester » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Having only just got my auto gearbox sorted last week, my 04 plate is playing up again.. this time its the passenger electric window.

If you put the window down it will intermitantly go back up, almost as if someone it jabbing at the switch. From the posts I am reading this seems to be a common issue.. but do you think its the window regulator or the switch itself?? - I guess I better buy a haynes manual to strip the door down.

Ian.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Window switch faulty?

Postby AlexB » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:56 am

It is hard to understand what you mean, I am afraid. An option is that the window controller was reset during gearbox repairs and needs calibration. This causes the windows go up in small steps instead of closing in one go. To calibrate, close the windows by lifting the switches multiple times. Then keep all four switches up for longer than 10 seconds.

If it does not help, then reset the controller by disconnecting the battery and calibrate it again. Make sure that you know your radio code.

Manual PDFs are in the Links section.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

IanManchester
Currently Drives:: 04 Red Megane II Dymanique 3 Door Leather + 6 Disc changer (wifes car)

Postby IanManchester » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:52 pm

Alex - I went out to the car to perform the reseting of the window controller. I put the window down, then held the button to come back up and no response. There is no response from the drivers control either.

So I am stuck with the window in the down possition when the car not stored in a garage!!! I drove to halfords and purchased a haynes manual then sat in the car reading how to strip down the door card (looks over complex - I am used to fords) during this time the ignition is on, the window without me pressing any of the buttons then rolls all the way up, and that is where it remains - there is no up or down operation from either the switch on the door or drivers control.

Any ideas?

Ian.

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:09 pm

No, you close the windows first (up position, not down!).

If they refuse, then it means that the controller "thinks" that they are closed while they are not. It this case you may need to reset the controller by disconnecting the battery. Then the windows will close in steps of 1 inch, each time the driver's button is operated.

Once closed -- recalibrate the controller by pulling all driver's switches up simultaneously and keeping them up for 10 seconds.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

terry_mccann
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane SportsTourer 1.9 dCi 120 PS, 01/2004, Polargrey, Confort Privilege (Partial leather, Alpine 9871RR, 16"-Alloys, 6-speed)
My gallery: http://meganeboard.de/viewtopic.php?t=3437&start=0

Postby terry_mccann » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:18 pm

removing the door panel is easy:

- remove every screw
- get out the two pins from the box compartment and then pull it up
- pull all the clips around the doorboard....might be a bit difficult the first time but it gets easier once the clips have been removed a few times.

here are some pictures, don't mind the german text, I think the pics are more or less self explainig:

https://www.meganeboard.de/viewtopic.php?t=3952&start=0
Megane Grandtour 1.9 dCi 120 PS, 01/2004, Polargrey, Confort Privilege (Partial leather, Alpine 9871RR, 16"-Alloys, 6-speed)

IanManchester

Postby IanManchester » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:28 pm

thanks for the pointers - but surely if the window will not close with me pressing or even holding the button down this means I have a problem - I mean I spent 1 hour trying to get the window to close then it closed on it own without me touching it. - that make me think there is a short somewhere

terry_mccann
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane SportsTourer 1.9 dCi 120 PS, 01/2004, Polargrey, Confort Privilege (Partial leather, Alpine 9871RR, 16"-Alloys, 6-speed)

Postby terry_mccann » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:03 am

yep, you are right....presuming that the window also doesn't really react from the other side's switch makes me think that it is something bigger....maybe you are looking at having to get a complete new window motor unit....
Megane Grandtour 1.9 dCi 120 PS, 01/2004, Polargrey, Confort Privilege (Partial leather, Alpine 9871RR, 16"-Alloys, 6-speed)

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:22 am

Windows open and not close when "pressing or ... holding the button down" -- I don't understand, but never mind.

What you are describing looks like a glitch in the window controller (which has a computer or several computers inside). Try resetting it before doing anything major. As I said, try (a) to reset and after that (b) recalibrate the controller. So far you did not touch the battery, so no resetting was attempted... On the other hand, by what the others reported earlier -- water gets inside these controllers sometimes. If it is the case then the door should be taken apart.

BTW, there is a repair manual in Links section. It is in French, unfortunately.

IanManchester wrote:thanks for the pointers - but surely if the window will not close with me pressing or even holding the button down this means I have a problem - I mean I spent 1 hour trying to get the window to close then it closed on it own without me touching it. - that make me think there is a short somewhere
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”