whistling turbos / replacement lcd comp display

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

tatt

Postby tatt » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:20 am

Hi all,

Just been reading some threads regarding DCI turbo probs and/or the potential of probs. There was reference to whistling turbos and that it is possibly indicative of probs?? I was always of the impression that such whistles are typical of turbos? I have driven a few turbo engined cars in the past and all had some degree of whistling. Indeed, my 1.5dci (106) 2006 plate (15000 miles) does faintly whistle. So, is that indicative of a future problem?

Also, the LCD display is about to be replaced (the one found sitting between speedo and tacho) under warranty. I assume that its replacement will not affect the current total mileage reading? IE, it is only the display and not the actual computer?

In general I have to say the car is ok (touch wood) I guess its a trade off between the sassy good looks of the meg II against reliabilty. We have meg II's for a reason - that being, we don't want the mainstream looks of the rivals!

All help with above questions gratfully received.

Tatt

Rich B

Postby Rich B » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:53 pm

Hi,

Not so much idea about your turbo, except that my experience has always been that turbos whistle - I think it's the sound of the impeller sucking air into the engine - but I could be wrong. Anecdotally my 05 55 1.5dCi 106bhp used to whistle more then my current 05 55 1.5dCi 86bhp.

I may be able to shed more light on your instrument panel, however...

If you look at my recent posts you'll see I recently had a problem with my instrument panel As far as I'm aware, the unit comes as one component (i.e. speed, tacho, guages and lcd screen). When mine was replaced under warranty, the mileage record was lost. The dealer wasn't going to let me know this was the case (in fact they let me drive off without telling me) so I had them stamp the service book with the mileage prior to the replacement unit.

The biggest difficualty as I see it is that if you rely on your lcd to prompt you when the next service is due, you may not get your service done at the right time. In terms of the mileage record, this shouldn't be an issue as it is recorded on Renault Net (the dealer franchise own intranet) and can be supported by the dealer's record and your service invoices.

Hope this helps.

tatt

Postby tatt » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks for that Rich.

Your reply concurs with my overall thoughts. Don't know wihether to get it replaced as it has not failed - but rather there is some discolouration to the LCD grey background. I have to ask myself if I can tolerate it?! Perhaps i'm being to pedantic.

Cheers.

Return to “Problems / Questions”