Loose / cluncky steering

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

tatt

Loose / cluncky steering

Postby tatt » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:54 pm

I own a 1.5dci (106) 06 plate megane 2. There appears to be a problem with the steering as when on near full, or full lock, moreso to the right, there is a cluncking noise, especially on poor road surfaces. Any ideas, or have other meg2 owners had similar probs??

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Welcome to the forum tatt :cool:

Unfortunately clunky stearing is a bit of a trait on Megane's old and new :roll:

It could be a number of things but seeing as you are still under warranty I would go back to your dealer and take the Technician/Service manager on a test run somewhere you know it will do it so that they can experience the noise.

My Megane used to do this a lot and all sorts of things were changed but sadly it never really cured it!.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

carlosthejackal

Postby carlosthejackal » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:34 pm

My old Focus was exactly the same on full lock. Was never "loose" though. In fact at times it was like it never had power steering at all, so heavy was it. Although once I'd driven my wifes old Punto, I realised how good the Focus was, as the power steering-less Punto gave a whole new meaning to the word "heavy". My Megane's steering is as light as a feather compared to that though. Though still not what I'd call "loose"...
I am considerably more rock and roll than you...

MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/carlosjenno

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=734227510

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Postby pw981 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:34 am

sounds like the common steering rack nut and bolt problem. Renaults official fix is to re-torque the bolt and glue it with adhesive.
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

hix2003

Postby hix2003 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:18 pm

I had the same on my 2005 1.9DCI. Was it more so on dry steer? If so it's the suspension top mounts gone.
good luck

hix2003

Postby hix2003 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:18 pm

I have a 2005 1.9dci that suffered the same symptoms. Does it happen more so on dry steer or at low speeds? If so it sounds like the suspension top mounts have gone.
good luck

tatt

Megane 1.5 dci - cluncky steering

Postby tatt » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:15 pm

Car goes into main dealer (evans-halshaw Renault - Hull) on monday. Hopefully they will be able diagnose prob and fix it! Had a look under myself and noticed offside track rod end was very tight as oppose to nearside which is loose??

In general I have to say the car is pretty good. There some niggles but hopefully nothing will develop like some of the 'horror' stories i've read on other threads.

Niggles include dark shadows on computer LCD display, occasional loss of instrument lights and auto wipers and one or two rattles, in particular, one from the roof area where the central sunvisor retaining clips are.

One question for the techs: what do you think to 'chipping' the engine to unleash that power in waiting? Superchips claim an increase to 124 BHP with stacks more torque

I will post again after its been into dealers to let you all know the steering prob results.

Tatt

Don
Passed Theory

Postby Don » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:58 pm

Same problem, car is going in to have new strut mounts fitted under warranty.

tatt

loose/cluncky steering

Postby tatt » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:55 am

Guess what? Yes, you've guessed it - the main dealer said they can't fault the steering/susp ect. However, they did notice the heat shield was bent
(after heavy rain) and the trip comp lcd display needs replacing due to 'dark shadows' appearing and will replace under warranty.

So all was not lost. The steering prob shall be monitored and as the car has 16 months warranty left I am not too concerned at the moment.

Just to digress, I contacted Angel Tuning and i've decided to have the car re-mapped. £325 for an extra 25 bhp and 50 nm's torque will sounds superb for a frugal 1.5 dci (106)

Tatt

Return to “Problems / Questions”