Card Key Problemo - Nearest Renault Garage?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

john10001
Pass Plus

Card Key Problemo - Nearest Renault Garage?

Postby john10001 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:30 am

My Card Key Stopped working unfortunately. :-(

I have a 53 megane (non-handsfree card)

I can try clicking to open the doors and the display in the car flashes orange and I can get inside the car, but the alarm goes off. Card reader wont recognise card so I can't start engine or stop alarm going.

The problem I have is I'm in Huddersfield and there's no longer a Renault Garage here, it shut down. Still says its there on Yell.com but it aint. How the heck do I get a replacement card and get my car into a garage for programming? I think the next nearest Renault garage is probably going to be Leeds, Bradford or Wakefield miles away. Plus my car is parked on the drive at a funny angle so its going to be difficult for them to get it out.

And to top things off, was supposed to be at work half an hour ago, but all trains also cancelled because of flooding so cant get to work.

Do I have to take it to main Renault dealer for getting a new card and getting it programmed you can't go to a local garage?

Forgot to mention I already changed the battery in the card and still it dont work.

Cheers

John

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:13 am

Have you tried the Dealer locator on the Renault Website?

https://www.renault.co.uk/DealerLocSearch.aspx

Unfortunately you can only get your card reprogrammed buy a Renault Dealer :(
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:19 am

IainMW wrote:Have you tried the Dealer locator on the Renault Website?

https://www.renault.co.uk/DealerLocSearch.aspx

Unfortunately you can only get your card reprogrammed buy a Renault Dealer :(

Yep. When I phoned Renault they told me the one in Bradford which is nearest, same shows on the Renault website. Unfortunately cant get put through to their bradford service dept as they are constantly engaged/busy. May have to try another town. When I phoned Renault I said that it will cost me more to transport b/c there's now no dealer in Huddersfield so am not too happy about that.

I even tried leaving my mobile phone etc a long distance away but no joy. New battery in cardkey still no joy, its stuffed.

I may have to have my car transported 15 or 20 miles to the next nearest Renault dealer to get fixed. Hopefully I will be able to get through to Bradford soon, but if she says they are busy one more time I will probably have to try Leeds or Wakefield instead.

I'm hoping this doesn't cost too much to get breakdown to transport to Renault dealer for service. I am with AutoAid recovery.

Seriously thinking of getting rid of this heap of junk Megane for a Honda or Toyota.

John

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:25 pm

Does the other card do they same?
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:24 pm

Gav wrote:Does the other card do they same?

Only one card Im afraid.

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:54 pm

I've just realised something from reading a few other posts in the forum after a search for card key and I think I have the hands free card key! :roll:

One of the posts I read mentioned about push in buttons on the door handle and if it has these then it is hands free card key, and if not it is just push button card key? :?

If thats the case and I do have hands free card key, maybe I have activated it without realising and it has been draining my battery overnight?

Oh, I also just looked under the bonnet for the first time since I got this car in Oct 06. Battery is only 48 ah! There's got to be something wrong with that for a 1.6 engine with a/c and cd changer etc! Think it needs a bigger one in there for sure.

The plot deepens...

John

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:17 pm

Will Auto Aid recovery not recover you to a Renault Dealer?

Not sure on battery capacity but if it was doing the job before then it was obviously big enough! It sounds to me like the battery is KO'd

The last time you drove the car was it raining (silly question at the moment!) and did you go through any flood water?
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:34 pm

IainMW wrote:Will Auto Aid recovery not recover you to a Renault Dealer?

Not sure on battery capacity but if it was doing the job before then it was obviously big enough! It sounds to me like the battery is KO'd

The last time you drove the car was it raining (silly question at the moment!) and did you go through any flood water?

Yep AutoAid will recover but because it is broken down at home will only pay upto £45 of the removal costs back to me when I claim the money back. The unfortunate thing is it's on my drive at a funny angle and steering is locked. They will have trouble pulling it out.

It was raining the last time I drove. I did go through one puddle on the left as I came round the corner back into the street I live. Splashed the water left and onto the paving area.

I have just eliminated the possibility that it was the car battery as have fully charged it and still no joy starting. I'm still not entirely convinced it is actually the card key that has a fault now because I get a few different faint message flashes on display when I try start. Service light is lit up. Looks also like toxic fumes warning light lit up. Sometimes I get the message that card is not detected but other times it is. It just says the usual press clutch and start button etc to start, course nothing happens when I try doing that. Took me quite a few times to get the doors to lock.

Will probably have to get it recovered at the weekend now, I think trains will likely be working again tomorrow so will have to catch train to work the rest of the week. I'm going to try Renault Bradford but if I still have trouble getting through to their service dept will have to have it transported further to the one in Leeds to get it looked at there.

John

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:38 pm

This sounds like it could be a water ingress problem :(
What year is the car?

There have been quite a few issuses with water in fuse boxes on earlier models, which unfortunately is an expensive thing to fix. (search the forum)

We could go on speculating for ever, hopefully when you get it to a dealer they can fix the problem(s)

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:42 pm

IainMW wrote:This sounds like it could be a water ingress problem :(
What year is the car?

There have been quite a few issuses with water in fuse boxes on earlier models, which unfortunately is an expensive thing to fix. (search the forum)

We could go on speculating for ever, hopefully when you get it to a dealer they can fix the problem(s)

It's a 53 plate registered Feb 2004.

I have been wondering how the water drains away when it comes down your windscreen and to the top of the bonet! When I open up the bonet I can imagine it would be easy for water to come down and go anywhere, when I look I just dont see how where it would drain too at the top of the bonet. If there was no battery covering panel I'm sure it could splash that far down there in heavy rain and I think the fuse box will be far right hand side as well near the battery so can imagine that water could easily get there.

I'm not even going to do a search for water and fuse boxes I just dont want to know the costs for that. Hopefully it wont be and it will just be the ignition coils and key card or something.

It might be worth cosidering getting one of those waterproof covers for my car, at least then when its just parked on the drive I can stop any rain getting in when its parked up at the very least.

John

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:19 pm

Werner

Re: Card Key Problemo - Nearest Renault Garage?

Postby Werner » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:01 pm

john10001 wrote:My Card Key Stopped working unfortunately. :-(

I have a 53 megane (non-handsfree card)

I can try clicking to open the doors and the display in the car flashes orange and I can get inside the car, but the alarm goes off. Card reader wont recognise card so I can't start engine or stop alarm going.

The problem I have is I'm in Huddersfield and there's no longer a Renault Garage here, it shut down. Still says its there on Yell.com but it aint. How the heck do I get a replacement card and get my car into a garage for programming? I think the next nearest Renault garage is probably going to be Leeds, Bradford or Wakefield miles away. Plus my car is parked on the drive at a funny angle so its going to be difficult for them to get it out.

And to top things off, was supposed to be at work half an hour ago, but all trains also cancelled because of flooding so cant get to work.

Do I have to take it to main Renault dealer for getting a new card and getting it programmed you can't go to a local garage?

Forgot to mention I already changed the battery in the card and still it dont work.

Cheers

John

Hi John

This is a common problem with the key card on all renault megane 2's, same thing happened to me and I waited 2 months for a new key imported from france from renault SA. The transponder in your key stops working and problem is it is a sealed unit. If you cut the key open mainly using a stanley knife chances are the key would still work.

hope this could be any help
Werner Woest
Team Leader Gauteng-Central
Mobile Solutions
42 Gazell Close
Solutions House
Corporate Park
Old Pretoria Rd
Midrand
werner@mobilesolutions.co.za
http://www.mobilesolutions.co.za
tel: 011 542-2700

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:39 am

Werner wrote:
Hi John

This is a common problem with the key card on all renault megane 2's, same thing happened to me and I waited 2 months for a new key imported from france from renault SA. The transponder in your key stops working and problem is it is a sealed unit. If you cut the key open mainly using a stanley knife chances are the key would still work.

hope this could be any help

Arrggghhhh!

2 Months! I hope it doesn't take as long to get to the UK! Turns out I didn't have a keycard problem. Well except for the handsfree sensors not working which I wasn't bothered about anyway. However the Renault garage in Leeds has LOST my keycard of which I only got one when I got the car used a couple years ago.

This is an update to what has happened since for me...

https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=6836

John

gnfreeman
Currently Drives:: 2006 megane estate 1.5dci 106bhp

Postby gnfreeman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:11 pm

hi what if you buy a s/hand one off ebay can you get it reprogramed ???????????????????????????????? :banghead

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:18 am

I was wondering the same..
I only got one card with the car, but there's deffo something in the manual about setting up a second card.
Now, what if I get a card from a scrappy? Can I tell the car to use that as a second card? (OK - I know the emergency key will not fit..)
That would be very cool.

Return to “Problems / Questions”