"Auto" on Climate Control always has slow fan speed - Why?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

katonna
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.6

"Auto" on Climate Control always has slow fan speed - Why?

Postby katonna » Thu May 08, 2014 2:46 pm

I have a Megane CC 2008.

"Auto" on Climate Control always has slow fan speed regardless of temperature set or temperature outside, even after driving for ages with car at full operating temperature - Why? Even if I put it at the maximum 27 or minimum 15 degrees position the fan speed is still slow. I would have thought the fan speed would come on fast when setting minimum or maximum or am I mistaken.

All these adjustments are done when the car is at full operating temperature. Also if you manually adjust the fan speed, all the sections work completely fine.

What is wrong with it? Or am I just being stupid and this is working different to my partners car that also has Climate Control (a Honda Jazz Sport 2006). When you set minimum or maximum on that then the fan blows really fast as if it wants to get to that temperature as quick as it can.

Someone said it could be a faulty cabin sensor making the heating system think the cabin is already warm enough.

Also, my AC need gassing up, so would this effect it? I think, the gas has completely gone as the compressor doesn't even work when the AC is switched on.

Does driving with the roof down affect this ?

We had the roof down and pressed auto and then changed it to 27 degrees and the fan speed stayed the same. Surely it should go onto max fan speed automatically......?

katonna

Re: "Auto" on Climate Control always has slow fan speed - Wh

Postby katonna » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:46 pm

I've been experimenting.

If the car has been driven for a while and you change the temperature on the climate control to the highest temp or the lowest temp, it doesn't seem to do anything apart from the heat changing, the fan speed always seems to be on medium.

If however the car is hot from sitting in the sun, the fan speed goes fast when trying to initially cool the car.

Other cars I have had with climate control instantly change the fan speed to a high setting in order to cool or heat the car quickly.

Any idea if this car just doesn't do what the other cars do?

Just seems odd that the fan speed doesn't set to max when a significant change of temp is required like other cars I've had did.

Also, the cars aircon has been very recently re-gassed. However it used to do this before.

sparky46
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane CC 2ltr Dynamique Auto

Postby sparky46 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi there. I don't know if this will help or not. I had a problem a couple of years ago with my 2008 cc when the air con went haywire every so often. it turned out to be the sensor located on the drivers mirror (Bubble underneath it). If you look on the display where the radio is, the outside temperature is shown. The display sometimes said 50 degrees plus instead of the correct temperature. When it said this, the air con didn't work and the heater would only blow hot air in manual when the temperature was set to 27 degrees (Maximum). At 26 degrees setting it went cold. When the outside temp sensor read correctly, the air con worked fine and the manual heater worked ok (The heater temperature would vary as you altered the set temp (27 Hot air flow decreasing as you decrease the temp, 26, 25 etc).
As for the fan speed, from start up, mine takes a few minutes for it to decide what speed it wants to run at. I assume it is calculating all of the information. My Audi A4 air con works from the word go. No delay.
Let me know if it does help. :D

katonna

Postby katonna » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:32 pm

Ah, well my temperature sensor is working fine. It always shows the correct temperature.

Maybe it does take a few mins to sort itself out, but when you change the temperature mid-drive to s significant change, the fan speed doesn't change.
Also, my sisters 2002 Clio that also has climate control just changes the fan speed immediately, hence why I am asking about the Megane CC as I thought it would work the same as the Clio.

Basically I am still confused by the way the Megane CC climate control works....... ?

Return to “Problems / Questions”