help please...but do i want to know?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

barble23

help please...but do i want to know?

Postby barble23 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:59 pm

i have a 1,5dci megane on a 56 plate 3 door manual 106bhp.....we have just been away on holiday ...on leaving i checked the oil and made sure it was on top level.....not over full....we did about 750miles and the dash oil light activated....worried we pulled in at first petrol station i checked again and oil was on lower level...topped it up with 3ltrs!!!!!! and on we went....we were not driving with plumes of smoke coming from the exhaust and engine was acting and sounding normal...only thing we did notice was a blow of smoke if we accellerated fast...it was short lasting ......i also cannot see an obviouse oil leak.....what sort of things should i be looking at or what should a garage be saying to me? please help ........ :-)

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Re: help please...but do i want to know?

Postby tomalamix » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:07 pm

a so massive amount of oil going out should be visible under the engine if there is some pipework or something else leaking...did you search for it?

if there isnt one the turbo seals can be shot, that would be my first option,which involve the swap of the turbo or its repair, but its better to rule out first other stuff like the simple leakage elsewhere

cheers

barble23

Postby barble23 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:20 pm

i agree what alot of oil....my first thought was the turbo but was unsure how to check?i have looked for oil but the engine looks clean.....if you accellerate fast then there is a blow out of smoke so does that point at turbo.......have noticed we also lost/used a bit of water....not overheated and not empty just low?????any advice??
if its a turbo whats the best plan of attack?and how much should it cost?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Loosing 3L of oil means you only had around 1.5L left. This is itself bad.

If there is no external leak, logic dictates it must be internal. Based on the fact that you lost coolant also, I would bet on a head gasket, but, that is a guess.

Remove one of the major air hoses from the intercooler and check for oil. It should be relatively dry. If there is a lot of oil, it could be the turbo bearing.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Problems / Questions”