megane DCi 1.5 - will not start - Injection fault

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

MicKPM
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II dCi, LAguna II GT Turbo (Petrol), Renault 19 16v (Ex-Tim Harvey RDR shell)

Re: megane DCi 1.5 - will not start - Injection fault

Postby MicKPM » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:48 am

Personally I'd stop now and get it on CLIP as it sounds like the injector control has been locked (I've seen this before). There is either air in the fuel system or you've got a dead injector now and it's proberbly because the pump chambers were not properly purged when re-priming the fuel system.

Mick

the_toilet
Currently Drives:: megane II 1.5 dci 2004

Postby the_toilet » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:42 am

Hi everyone

update 1:

I finally have the Megane back on my driveway. i towed her back from the mechanic yesterday so i can finally work on her. i remember why i bought her now, its a nice looking car and inside is great.. shame it is so broken!

OK, so i got the bluetooth diagnostic reader working, and read the engine codes and low and behond, it got a new code...

P0089 - Generic
Powertrain - Fuel and Air Metering - ISO/SAE Controlled
Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Performance

now when i took this car to the first mechanic all thoe months ago, he got me to buy a fuel pressure regulator and get him to fit it. however, it gave a bunch of new codes and would not fire, so he put the old one back in again. i wonder if it did indeed neeed replacing, but also the pump and injectors needed replacing, and hence i am still needing a replacement regulator...

i am keen to rule out electrical fault first before buying new parts again, and also, where is the fuel pressure regulator? i assume in the engine bay near the pump and injectors but i can not see it!

I do no thave a haynes manual for this car yet, i best get one, s i know i have to de-presurise the rail and what not before messing with anything on the high pressure side of the pump

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:46 pm

keep the new regulator on the car and post the errors after that...

that error is indeed fuel related, you must eliminate every possibilities and as you are you should keep fetching the problem.

do you have any way to check if the regulator is ok or not? did you check the rail pressure as it was told a few posts back? you can check it as you crank the engine and seeing on engine life data (via obd) the rail pressure

post back

the_toilet

Postby the_toilet » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi Tomalamix

thank you for the reply.

one problem i have is that i do not have the new regulator, it is in the garage where i first took the car where the guy had a heart attack, so no way to get it back... i might have to get a new one on ebay or via the online salvage yards... is it easy to replace? i.e. do i have to de-pressurise the rail to replace the pressure-regulator? have never done that so i do not want to injure myself by being subject to those high pressures...

as for the rail pressure, i do not know if my simple blue-tooth diagnotic unit will tell me anything about diesel pressure, as it is quite simple, and it just uses the "Torque" appliucation for Android phones. i will chec though, paybe there is a PID i can program it to look for in the ECU...

i think i ned to buy a Haynes manual

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:04 pm

The only danger with the high pressure side is when the engine (or specifically the pump) is spinning. If you loosen carefully one of the high side pipes, there may be a dribble of fuel. Of course, you must only attempt this with the engine off (preferably disabled - no battery) and wear goggles.

The Haynes always gives you clues along the way, but I'm guessing your fuel pump is scrap. I can't believe that it can be commanded to produce so much pressure that a line will fracture.

It would be an interesting test to deliberately jam the high pressure outlet and spin a scrap pump (or attach a gauge) just to see what would happen.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

the_toilet

Postby the_toilet » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:39 am

Hi Davelowe..

thanks for the reply. i just wanted to point out that it is not fracturing the high pressure pipes, it is instead making the rubber pipes on the fuel injector return pipes pop-off, as i guess they are expecting a lower pressure once the injectors have done their work and taken some of the diesel)... watching the fuel fly out of hte fuel return pipes, I would say the pump i actually working... (in fact i would say the old pump might have been working which i still have too)

Just anted t make sure you have the full picture...

in my head, i am thinking electrical fault - relay or fuse broke so injectors are just not firing, OR, pressure is not right in the injectors, so the ECU is not allowing the injectors to fire...

cheers again
Dan

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:53 am

Dan,

You don't need Haynes, just download the PDF documents from our sticky thread, which is above this one.

Regarding OBD readers. Yes, a cheap ELM327 from ebay will read the fuel pressure alongside with many other live parameters. Is it the one you bought? I use Scanmaster software in the laptop to access the data. Torque for Android also works, but for some reason I prefer Scanmaster.

Don't forget that one can switch on the engine electronics without starting the engine. Then the OBD interface will work. For this hold Start button pressed for 5 seconds while not touching any pedals.

Please read my earlier message. I think it makes sense to start with checking the pipework for blockage. The narrow bit is the Venturi pipe situated on the top of the fuel pump. If blocked, then a big question is what caused the blockage. I hope it is not the HP pump disintegrating. If it is, then there will be metal shavings in the fuel filter, which is easy to check.

Regarding the code P0089.
It is DF053 in Clip, which, if used, also tells you the following:
RAIL PRESSURE REGULATION FUNCTION
1.DEF : At minimum limit
2.DEF : At maximum limit
3.DEF: Below minimum threshold
4.DEF: Above maximum threshold
5.DEF: High flow current < maximum
6.DEF: High flow current > maximum
7.DEF: Low flow current < minimum
8.DEF: Low flow current > minimum

A simple OBD reader does not distinguish between these DEFs. Read MR366MEGANE1.pdf page 66 for the repair procedures. Again, this document is in the sticky thread with manuals, above this thread.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Rootehnix
Currently Drives:: Renault Modus 1.5 dci 2006

Postby Rootehnix » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 am

Hello. Im new to this forum.

I am expiriencing similar problems.

My car will crank a bit longer (a hunch) than it should at warm temperatures but fails to start at -7 C and below. Glow plugs are new and heating. (tested at startup and heating for 5 sec. when running).

The car will start if pulled. And will start again if engine is warm.

I did plug the Delphi ODBII to it and the pressure in the fuel rail is at 0 when the engine is not running. When cranking in cold conditions will reach about 190 bar. When running (bump started or warm cranked) will show ~250 at idle. The car shows injection fault if forced on the road (nothing while stationary) even in summer.

So one of my questions is shoud there be pressure in the fuel rail when the engine is off?

If not, can a leaking (return flow) injector cause the rail not to reach needed fuel pressure for starting?

What is the needed pressure for the ecu to engage the injectors?

I don't want to start buying parts before i understood the problem.

Any help, info would be greatly appreceatad.

Thank you.

HDFT
Currently Drives:: Renault Kangoo

Postby HDFT » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:01 pm

Hi,

I have never used one of these forums before and I’m probably in the wrong place, but I need some advice.

It isn’t a Megane but it is a Renault, a Renault Kangoo in fact.

The van only starts with easy start but once started drives fine.
Upon plugging it in it says:
Fuel temperature sensor circuit, Open circuit or short circuit to +12v

Rail pressure regulation function at minimum

Any advice on what this could be and cost to repair would be really appreciated.

Return to “Problems / Questions”