electric windows

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

electric windows

Postby Phil and Liz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:54 am

here's a joke Why do Megane owners never use multi storey car parks ? 'cos while they may get in, they're never certain to get out

yep, my windows broke again, 4 year old already had a wiring harness repair last year, now it's dead

so I went to my local stealer and thought, £50 or £60 contribution Renault pick up the rest.

was not expecting to be told that Renault no longer pick up 75% of the bill, for what has to be a basic design fault ( has to be, as I've owned 2 of these and both have had the same problem), no now they want the customer to pay over a 1/3rd of the cost and for one window if it's the regulator I'll be looking at £120

now that morning I'd just had the car MOT'd, 2nd one at 36000 miles 4 year old, first one last year had an advise for rear wheel bearings so that was new discs, this year the advise is that the front disccs are thin, so that'll be another £50 at least for parts, a service is also due

add that lot up and yr pushing towards £500, for a 4 yr old low mileage car on top of the £200 for the rear ones, then what if the left hand window goes the same way ? another £300

as an aside I have a Hyundai getz, 9 year old same mileage, mot'd at same garage no advises

guess what I'll be looking at soon ? one year old and at least 4 years warranty remaining
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

hardcore
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: RENAULT MEGANE DYNAMIQUE 1.5 DCI

Re: electric windows

Postby hardcore » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:03 pm

I believe it's nothing to do with the wiring loom, there is a control unit sits on the back of the window motor and when this gets wet it starts to play around, my passenger window died on me about 3 years ago and i took the unit of the motor, dried it out and then it worked and this time i wrapped the motor and unit up in a plastic bag and it's worked ever since, my driver side window is a bit tempremental now also especially when it's been raining?? So i think i'll have to do the same to it soon. By the way i thought renault extended their warranty to 7 years on meganes??

Rama78
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.6 Dynamique

Postby Rama78 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:12 pm

This is what you need my friend 100%

Just bought 2 of these and lucky enough to live only 20 miles from the guy so he fitted them also. The problem with Megane windows is that water gets inside the little control unit and the whole thing just ceases.

I had 2 windows go on me and I took the door panels off, took out the little control units and cleaned them down with an electrical cleaner I bought in Maplin. Put everything back together and it was all working again. I was so happy. A couple of months later they went again and there was no way I was going to pay Renault a couple of hundred to fix 2 windows even with the 75% covered by them. That is a bloody joke. So I went for months there with 2 broken windows and then found this smashing guy on ebay selling improved control units for the megane windows. I guarantee you the rest of the window is fine ie. regulator and motor.

The only thing this WATERPROOF unit doesnt have is the one touch system. You will see this in the listing. Dont waste anymore of your money mate. Get these and they your windows wont break again. Renault are a joke with water and electrics.

My windows are working great now having had them fitted yesterday. I can operate them exactly the same as the ones with the actual renault except they dont go the whole way down or up with one click! This does not annoy me at all. I just have to hold the button in for about 3 seconds anyway to go fully up and down and I can also stop the window where I want. The fella selling these is a gentleman and you can phone him and he will talk you through the process of fitting them also. See the link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Megane-Scenic-Electric-Window-Motor-Repair-Kit-/220952639824?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3371cdb950

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 pm

wow !

gonna have to buy one, right enough whenever I used to open the doors there would be a constant stream of water from the drainnholes, gues they're blocked at moment as nothing comes out

must look at panel removal link

thanks guys
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

Bidey
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamyque Auto 08 Reg (for most of the time!!)
Ford Focus CC3 2 litre petrol convertible, (for sunny days)

Postby Bidey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi,
I have none functioning passenger window,,, just stopped one day,,, never had a chance to dismantle door yet to have look??? not sure what i will find?
Bidey fae Perth

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:32 pm

wife was having a lazy day so thought will check drain holes, only one that I can find and it is clear, pulled speaker off and put hand in and wiring harness felt damp. Decided rather than go work on my motorbikes will pull it apart and have a look.

what a pig that door card is, whoever designed that deserves to be given the Jeremy Clarkson treatment, shot etc

thanks again to the person who uploaded the manuals, without them I would never have got it off.

does the motor mount onto the door card ? mine was loose when I took the panel off so I cable tied it to the window rail and it seems ok, did that cos could not see any method of fastening it on, then when I put the card on I have 2 screws left over, hey ho

disconnected the controll unit and unscrewed it, thought I'd have a look before ordereing the one off ebay, noticed one of the terminals had like a green covering on it, like verdigris, scarped it clean and plugged it back on, connected the switch up with the panel off and hey presto it works.

rebuilt it and it still works, reset the one touch

£120 saved
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

stupeed
Currently Drives:: 57 megane 1.6 vvt

Postby stupeed » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Motor is held on to door card with 3 screws.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:08 pm

now I know why I love motorbikes

electrics so much easier to fix, fuel sytem low pressure, exhaust no cats

no stupid trin panels, no ridiculus electrical systems that last 1000 days , if that !

two of my bikes are over 25 years old, the third is six this year, 2 of em are fixable i.e unscrew a bit and fix it
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

cliopapa172
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: megane privilege

Postby cliopapa172 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:46 am

Funny why can't Renault sort this water ingress problem out?? I had a malfunction on my Clio and the dealer charged me £15 to take the door apart and say although he had cleaned up the terminals and it was working again I would need a new motor at£150 plus fitting. Bollocks to that and it was still working fine 6 months later. Are Renault dealers on some sort of national scheme to see who can rip their customers off the most and then win a trophy or what. I suppose the best way to deal with this is with your wallet and buy a different make of car. Puts me off investing in a Megane sport really!1

Bidey
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamyque Auto 08 Reg (for most of the time!!)
Ford Focus CC3 2 litre petrol convertible, (for sunny days)

Postby Bidey » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi Guys,
Front passenger window died a few weeks ago and was going to wait until warmer weather to have alook and see. :?: :?: :?:

How ever reminded i had warranty on car (bought) and spoke withem and Local garage Ness Motors, Perth and they said they would 62% of cost and warranty pick up balance RESULT.

So window fixed, my 38% warranty bit was £121 still to claim back!

But window working fine and 1 year warranty on it!

:D
Bidey fae Perth
Bidey fae Perth

Return to “Problems / Questions”