Bleeding Clutch

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

phaeton

Bleeding Clutch

Postby phaeton » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:31 am

Friend has just had his clutch changed but now has no clutch pedal, had a quick look last night & I think the reason was the pipe hadn't been put on correctly.

Am I right in assuming that the piece with 3 circlips in, you pull up the one closest to the flywheel pull the sleeve back slightly, bleed & then push back home & replace clip?

If that is the case, does it need to be pressure bled? Does the system share the fluid with the brake, if not where is the reservoir?

05 Plate 1.9DCi if it makes a difference

Alan...

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Bleeding Clutch

Postby AlexB » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:02 pm

See the factory manual in the sticky thread above this thread. Yes, it is the same fluid reservoir as the brake.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

phaeton

Postby phaeton » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks Alex, I looked at those but the date on the one I was looking at was 2002, this car is 2005 are they the same? Spent a bit of time tonight having a go & got A LOT of air out of the system, but it feels like the MC might be goosed.

Alan...

phaeton

Postby phaeton » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:07 pm

Okay I'm running out of ideas, I've put a new M/C on, we bleed from reservoir to M/C then connected pipe & ezi-bled from reservoir to connection on top of slave. We pushed nearly a litre of fluid through both letting it run through & pumping the pedal as it was pushing through. But we still do not have a pedal, it goes to the floor with virtually no resistance apart from maybe the last few millimetres & then stays there. So apart from taking the gearbox off & looking at the slave I'm stumped, anyone got any pearls of wisdom before I do?

Alan...

phaeton

Postby phaeton » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:10 pm

I persevered last night, I ended up with a Gunston ezi-bleed on the master cylinder & a Sealey vacum bleeder on a piece of pipe off the bleed nipple, we bled the same litre of fluid through the system 4 times & finally ended up with a good pedal.

But there is good news & bad news I've just driven the car around the block & it has engaged all 6 forward gears quite nicely, however reverse can only be selected by using quite brute force, is there any adjustment on the cables?

Alan...

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:32 pm

On the 6 speed box, there is adjustment. It involves removing the centre console through which the stick protrudes, inserting a spacer of some size and then undoing then redoing some clip under the bonnet. You'd have to consult the pdfs as Alex suggests. However, if the clutch is not fully disengaging, this solution may be a red herring. You need to solve the original problem. I believe the forward gears have synchromeshes that permit a certain degree of ease in selecting. Reverse gear is different and therefore will expose any clutch issues... Personally, I would start (again) with the clutch.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

phaeton

Postby phaeton » Mon May 14, 2012 10:50 am

Just to complete this off, gave up in the end & put the car into a garage, no fun taking a gearbox off on the drive (used to do it but getting too old) anyway apparently the clutch had been fitted the wrong way round, killing the flywheel, new clutch & slave cylinder, so I'm now £800 poorer.

Just now need to sort out the other annoying things wrong with it, drivers window not working, if you park it uphill it won't start as fuel is draining back, knock on front os suspension, oh & check ignition light on, which if you stop when warm & then restart it doesn't come on, so maybe glow plugs.

Alan...

Return to “Problems / Questions”