I came home from work last Friday night and had a blast at fixing my passenger window before the rain started again. Thankfully the rain stayed off for a few hours and all is sorted.
For me the hardest part of the whole job is getting the actual door panel clipped back on where those big plastic clips join onto the metal parts. This is where I asked the wife for a helping hand and she was more than good. She more or less got them on herself lol.
Renault UK got me booked in with my local Renault garage to diagnose the problem about a month ago. They simply said it was the regulator and I may have to wait until September for the part as the factory they got their supplies from was flattened in the recent Japan Tsunami. When I took the panel off I could see Renault had actually disconnected the regulator from the main connection so it was never going to start working on its own again.
I used these pictures and instructionshttp://sites.google.com/site/proluxelectronics/how-to
as well as great advice from HeatherJ, costeau and darokane over on renaultforums.co.uk. I could never have did it without such great advice and anyone on here should certainly give it a try. I am going to fix my back window shortly also.
My regualor was slightly different than HeatherJ's (moderator on renaultforums.co.uk). It is a 2007 model so I also used these pitctures and instructions.http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showt...w+reset&page=6
This is HeatherJ's 2004 Renault Megane Fix with pictures on the other site http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=109441
All I did was take the regulator apart and spray the chip board with Maplin Electronic Solvent Cleaner. I couldnt actually take the chip board out so I just sprayed a lot inside and allowed it to drain off. I also sprayed the connectors and sealed around the inside of the lid as well as putting a large quantity of silicone sealent around the area where the foam sealant used to be. See the pictures in this link http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showt...w+reset&page=6
. I actually didnt even have a foam sealant!!! Perhaps Renault removed it when they had disconnected the main lead going to the regulator whilst I was waiting on the car going in for repair.
After I did this I also sprayed the main lead that goes to the regulator (Image 7 in the last link) with more of the Maplin Electronic Solvent and again covered that whole area with clear silicone sealant just as it is in the same picture.
I reconnected everything together after I had allowed the silicone sealant time to dry and put the panel back on. Now it was time to test it and to be honest I wasnt expecting a miracle but to my sheer surprise my window was working again!
At first the window fell about half way down and stuck again. The Wife panicked offcourse thinking we had a car sitting with an open window all night lol.
So I did as it says on the renaultforums.co.uk and turned the electrics on and off a few times until I got the window to the top. Then once it was up I held the switch in the up position for around 10 seconds to reset it, then let the window go to the bottom and held the switch down for around 10 seconds to reset it and then presto the window is working perfect again! The best part is now that the regulator is sealed properly this shouldnt happen again. Well to that window anyway! lolAnyone who has this problem do this job yourself. Dont give Renault your hard earned cash!!!